2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (DannyS, carlspost, 36251, AZNpiano, Almaviva, astrotoy, camperbc, 8 invisible), 283 guests, and 341 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Boox tablet review #2960293 03/25/20 12:38 PM
S
Slowroll Offline OP
OP Offline
S

Since there has been periodic comments about various tablet's functionality and convenience in reading sheet music, I thought I'd weigh in with  my opinion of the Android Onyx Boox ereader. I bought 0ne about 3 weeks ago, so have had some time to  form some observations.  My main reason for getting it was because I'm developing  cataracts and find that usual sheet music at the piano desk sight range is a bit fuzzy, even with my piano\computer\shooting  glasses.  I figured that the higher contrast of a display would compensate.   I chose the Boox simply because it's the biggest one available, and one of the few that has the same aspect ratio as a sheet of paper, rather than a video viewing ratio.  The 17 inch Samsung is too big, and awkwardly designed for use on a music desk. 

The good news is it helps quit a bit visibility--wise, but not perfect.  Since the E-ink dislay is not an active LED display,  the contrast is not as great as I woud have liked, and does need good room lighting.  It is is better than paper sheet music, and of course all my music is in one place rather than in notebooks all over.  The MObilesheets Pro reader software has a Boox optimized version, and it is great.  The cropping feature lets me  stretch pages right to the the end of the display.   The stylus notation function is great for notes and fingerings, and erasable.  I particularly like the Mobilesheets half page turn function, so one can turn the page anytime you've played past halfway, and the top half of the net page is visible.  ...do have to remember  to turn again once you've started playing the next page.  pretty damn oten I've forgotten and found myself playing thru the bottom of the prior page.  So I've marked all the sheets 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.  I find  it's better when learning a new piece to use the full page mode, since you're staying on one page longer anyway, but YMMV of course.   i did find the Mobilesheets stylus annotation function a bit wonky, it often stores the notations distorted.  Mobilsheets is working on that issue however.  If I want perfect notations, i use the native reader app  on the Boox . 

I bought a pageflip butterfly bluetooth page turner,  it works great.  THe mobilesheets lets you    configure the pedals to do different things, so I often program the left pedal to go back to repeats, when they're not on the first page, rather the usual turn to prior page mode.   The software lets you set the forward pedal to go back to the beginning when the end of piece is reached, so not having a prior page turn function is not a big issue.  Of course, you can use multiple pedals and program to do all sorts of things, but for me that's overkill. 

As far as the fundemental functions of the Boox go. I love it.  I read a lot of kindle books, and Pdf files; I love the full size page and soft background.  Battery life is great.  I get 10 days between charging, and I often use it about 5 hours a day or more.   There is no provision for an internal SD card. You have to get a USB-C to USB-A adapter and to use USB-A flash cards, they don't provde one. If you want use an external USB stick while using it, you need to rotate the screen 180 degrees so the USBstick is on top.   The Boox has somewhere around 64 gig of internal memory, so it's not much inconvnience. YOu probably won't be storing photos and videos on it since it's monochrome, so memory shouldn't be a problem.   I have hundreds of KIndle books and hundreds of Pdf magazines stored and still have 55gig free.  The user's manual leaves a lot out, so you'll be poking around a lot to figure out how things work.  Typical manual written by the designers instead of tech writers. 

All in all, it does what it's supposed to do, and apart from preferring a brighter display, it's great.

Don't shoot the piano player -- he's doing the best he can...
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Boox tablet review [Re: Slowroll] #2960298 03/25/20 12:59 PM
W
WeakLeftHand Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Cool review, thanks!

I have recently been looking to upgrade my e-reader (because I can't find my old one lol) and in my research, I came across the e-ink note pads that also support ebooks. I didn't put 2 and 2 together to figure that such e-ink note pads would also be a good sheet music reader. So thanks for that info!

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/25/20 01:01 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Re: Boox tablet review [Re: Slowroll] #2960315 03/25/20 01:44 PM
Beemer Offline
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
MAX3 the only model worth using for piano use is $859. At this price I would have expected a memory card slot. 64GB storage is not large enough.
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Re: Boox tablet review [Re: Slowroll] #2960331 03/25/20 02:36 PM
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
8.5x11 seems like an obvious size for a tablet to be (in North America) and I never cease to be surprised at how few of them seem to exist.

My Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" is (just barely) big enough for my music, though bigger would be a lot better.

The pdf reader app that I use has a "crop margins" setting that removes the white space around the edge of pages, but it doesn't work with every pdf file for reasons that I don't understand (it crops too much and some of the content is lost).

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Boox tablet review [Re: Slowroll] #2960336 03/25/20 02:49 PM
N
newer player Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
N
Thanks for the detailed observations SlowRoll.

If you have vision issues, you might find that traditional incandescent light bulbs are best for reading. They may produce light with broader natural wavelength and less flicker. Daylight is best so open those shades and curtains.

Other types of "bulbs" will vary in light quality with cheap options often being terrible. Mass-market LEDs are not great for flicker and colour rendering; and they typically dim and change colour a lot after a few weeks. There are some high quality flourscent reading lamps also.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pieces to learn or listen to during COVID-19 pandemic
by Tubbie0075 - 03/28/20 09:00 PM
Self-isolation
by MarieJ - 03/28/20 08:57 PM
Essential Services?
by malkin - 03/28/20 08:34 PM
Why are Kawai and Nord doing this?
by Almaviva - 03/28/20 06:53 PM
MP7SE vs S7 Pro vs Grandstage
by PeterGr - 03/28/20 05:39 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,751
Posts2,939,775
Members96,393
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission