2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
ok, I tried several headphones that I had, mostly cheap ones, and there was a day and night difference in sound quality, between them.

Now I'm using a pair of JVC HA-S160-B, the black ones. They do sound good but I'm afraid their frequency response, 12hz to 24Khz, 32ohm, although very good for cd-music listening, might be a little too high when it comes to a digital piano.

I feel that the bass frequencies are a tad too pumped up. The high are ok, although, in some rare cases, they tend to be (but... just a shade) kind of "sibilant", in the upper octaves.

I went and checked out for some kind of headphones supposedly good to use with a DP, like, for instance, the Yamaha HPH-100 (and HPH50), which are in the price range that suits me.

The web page states they are specifically designed for use with a digital piano.

Both them have a frequency response from 20hz to 20Khz, much narrower than the JVC I have.

The HPH-50 has a 32 ohm impedance, same as my JVC, while the HPH-100 has 48 ohm.

All of them have a circa 100 db of gain.

Somebody suggested me the Samson SR850, apparently the best bang for the buck nowadays. They go 10hz to 30Khz (that's a huge frequency response!) and their impedance is 32 ohm.

Also, the AKG K240 STUDIO, seem to be very good, on paper: 15hz - 25Khz, 55 ohm, 91db.

So there are many options and it's not easy to choose between them.

So far, it would seem that the best results I have is with my cell phone ear buds... laugh

I wish there were something "specifically designed" to perform a the best with the MP7SE or, generally, Kawai pianos but, so far, I couldn't find any, while Yamaha offers several options (no idea whether or not they are worth of any consideration)

I'm going crazy: any hints?
(besides getting a good psychiatrist, of course...) crazy

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The specs you mention are meaningless.

Every headphone can claim 20-20000 Hz. Indeed ... mine go down to 0 Hz. Yes, really!
Both them have a frequency response from 20hz to 20Khz, much narrower than the JVC I have.
Somebody suggested me the Samson SR850, apparently the best bang for the buck nowadays. They go 10hz to 30Khz (that's a huge frequency response!) and their impedance is 32 ohm.

But how much distortion is there in the curve? Is it flat across that range. NO!

This is also meaningless ...
The web page states they are specifically designed for use with a digital piano.
They might as well have said that the phones are designed for people. Or designed for ears. Meaningless.

This is incorrent.
All of them have a circa 100 db of gain.
Phones do not have gain. None at all.

I'm going crazy: any hints?
No, not crazy. Just too absorbed in the specs. Specs don't tell you much. Instead, let your ears inform you.

J
J
The frequency response range being large shouldnt have any negative effect on listening. It will only improve the experience by pushing out the rolloff point. Most people cant hear above 18k anyway.
I would suggest some studio monitor type headphones, like the Sony MDR 7506 or similar. Those typically do a great job of reproducing the original sounds of the piano source.

I think maybe you were referring to 100db sensitivity?

Last edited by JoeThePro; 03/23/20 09:01 AM.
OP Offline
thank you for your replies smile

Originally Posted by JoeThePro
I think maybe you were referring to 100db sensitivity?
yes, that'd be "sensitivity", instead.

Most people cant hear above 18k anyway.
I have to say, my hearing would seem to be above the average. My whole life is full of anecdotes I could tell, where I heard "stuff" other people couldn't, both in term of distance, selectivity (i.e. a single sound/noise among others or, in music, chords, phrasings, choir harmonizations and so on...) and also high/low frequency extension...

I would suggest some studio monitor type headphones, like the Sony MDR 7506 or similar. Those typically do a great job of reproducing the original sounds of the piano source.
I checked them out and they look nice, specs and all, but I was oriented towards a lower price. Also, circumaural headphones make your ear sweat... I'll keep them under consideration, though, because they really seem nice.

The reason why I was talking about frequency response is that I noticed a "clearer" (kind of decent) sound from my cell phone ear buds than from my headphones. I checked, and realized that those ear buds have a response from 20 to 20000hz.

in other words they miss part of the lower frequencies.

Of course, the sound from the ear buds is less "bodied" than what comes from the JVC but the bass octaves are less "humming", though the word doesn't express exactly what I mean.

So, since I can't demand a hi-fi quality from a cell phone ear buds, I was thinking of some kind of in between... maybe something with the same response but with better components making a sound that is full but, at the same time, not too much "pumped"

J
J
Originally Posted by Ragtime2k

The reason why I was talking about frequency response is that I noticed a "clearer" (kind of decent) sound from my cell phone ear buds than from my headphones. I checked, and realized that those ear buds have a response from 20 to 20000hz.

in other words they miss part of the lower frequencies.

Of course, the sound from the ear buds is less "bodied" than what comes from the JVC but the bass octaves are less "humming", though the word doesn't express exactly what I mean.

So, since I can't demand a hi-fi quality from a cell phone ear buds, I was thinking of some kind of in between... maybe something with the same response but with better components making a sound that is full but, at the same time, not too much "pumped"

I still don't think that has anything to do with the outer limits of the frequency response, but probably just the characteristics of those speakers. But I cant really give any other advice because I dont typically use earbuds, though I do have the (I think now discontinued) Sony MDR-V6 which sound great. Very similar to the 7506.

Last edited by JoeThePro; 03/23/20 10:58 AM.
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones are pretty well respected and have been around a while. That's what I have and they sound great to me.

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

I checked them out and they look nice, specs and all, but I was oriented towards a lower price. Also, circumaural headphones make your ear sweat... I'll keep them under consideration, though, because they really seem nice.

Sony MDR-7506 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50x are the cheapest you can get. Anything below will become a consumer-grade product. In fact these headphones worth more than what they usually are! The only reason they are cheap is that they have been in the market for so long and they're mass-produced.

The lifecycle of MDR-7506 is less than a decade. The drivers will retire.

For the sweating issue, you can get micro-fiber earpads.

You can also purchase open back or semi-open headphones. Beyerdynamic makes great open-back headphones for good prices.

A
A
I think the Koss Portapro and Sportapro headphones are the cheapest headphones that have excellent sound quality with my CA78. They might not suit your sense of style, but they can be found for under $30.00 USD on Amazon.

Regarding the longevity of Sony 7506/V6 headsets, I have two pair of MDR-V6's that are over 30 years old and still sound great. I have only had to replace the cushioning pads.

J
J
Originally Posted by Abdol
[quote=Ragtime2k]...You can also purchase open back or semi-open headphones. Beyerdynamic makes great open-back headphones for good prices.

I have the open back AKG K240 heaphones. Very nice for instrument/vocals, but they are a little midrange heavy and light on the bass. Great value at less than $70, though.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I don't think the 7506 are the best budget headphone for the digital piano but they are popular for pro audio types and your opinion may differ.

Interestingly, a lot of parts for the Sony 7506 are replaceable, including the earpads, cables, headband/plastic cups, yokes,etc. I remember seeing other parts in the stores, including the metal branding covers for the cups, clips, screws, etc. A lot of these parts are not listed on line but you can get from Sony directly or at a good headphone store.

https://www.canford.co.uk/SONY-HEADPHONE-SPARES
https://www.trewaudio.com/product-category/headphones/headphones-replacement-parts/
https://www.e-earphone.jp/shop/shop...amp;search=sony+7506&sort=price_desc

Service manual 2002
http://www.bakon.org/sony-mdr-7506-service-manual-ver-1.1-2002-07.pdf

More recent part numbers
https://www.canford.co.uk/ProductRe...06_1%20Spares%20diagram%20with%20key.pdf

T
T
I have a pair of AT ATH-M50x’s and also some Sennheiser HD58x Jubilees from Massdrop. Both are considered budget by many at around $150, but are great value and are at the point of diminishing returns for me.

I bought a pair of ATH-M40x’s for my son. They retail for around $99 and you can typically obtain a discount of 15-20% at various online retailers using coupons or discount codes or just asking. There’s not much between them and the M50’s, and the 40’s may even be a bit flatter in terms of their frequency response.

Not everyone actually likes the flat sound of headphones designed for mixing, but that’s a different issue.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
If you don't like pumped up bass (me neither), don't think about ATH-M50X. The sound is drowned in bass. M40X is much more neutral. I'm using Fidelio X2 (not quite budget headphones), which also have huuuugeeee bass and I decrese ~80Hz around 8db down. What I find most pleasing for piano playing is budget Takstar Pro82. A lot of detail, clear sound and bass not exaggerated. And although they don't look like, they are the most comfortable cans I ever used.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
K
K
Beyerdynamic DT770PRO. Love 'em. Certainly not too much bass and very comfortable to wear for hours.

Yes, I once tried on the 770 at a local shop. Very comfortable. I could only listen to the music piped into them (ahem: crappy), and not my own. But despite the circumstances I liked them a lot.

But I ended up buying the less expensive Senn 579. Also very comfortable.

Does any of this help you, Ragtime? You've been looking at specs ... and I don't think that's useful.

In other times I'd suggest going to the shops and trying out as many models as you can.

But in times like these ... anywhere in the world, but most especially in your native Italy ... I'd forget the headphones and worry about staying healthy.

In America we're just starting up the ramp on this virus, and I'm not planning any non-essential outing until at least May.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
There's nothing wrong with good earbuds.

If they cost enough, they're labelled "in-ear monitors", and you won't be ashamed to use them.

Shure SE215's have a _slightly_ bass-heavy response; I use them, and like them. Skullcandy and (I think) JVC make some good, lower- priced alternatives.

With earbuds, you need a good seal in the ear canal, to hear much bass. Either foam tips, or flanged silicone tips, are a good bet.

I agree with MacMacMac -- headphone specs are mostly useless.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
OP Offline
thank you guys for all your replies smile

wow... that's a lot of information to process...

mac... as you said, going to shops, nowadays, is both impossible, since they are all closed, and risky, cops can fine your ads pretty bad for going out without a reason of necessity.

Besides, in order to make an appropriate test, I should take my piano with me, I don't think listening to recorded music would be of any help.

So all I can do is ordering them online (god bless Amazon)

The pumped up bass problem is what I have at the moment with my JVC HA-S160. Otherwise it sounds great, for its league, and it's very light and comfortable to wear.

I checked the reviews of some of the headphones you guys listed and it would appear that the bass/unbalanced "not linear sound" problem is still there, at least according to what I read on some of them.

Apparently, none of you have any info/personal experience with the

Yamaha HPH-100

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/hph-100/specs.html

They sell it as a "piano accessory", so it would appear that it's kind of "recommended" (...?) by Yamaha for use with their DPs.

who knows...

I was looking for something in the 50 Euro range (there's little difference between € and USD at the present time); but of I get a good one for a bit more is no problem.

I noticed a lot of difference in sound quality between headphones so, before I buy yet another one, I'd like to be "sure" of what I do (if it'll ever be possible...)

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
thank you guys for all your replies smile

wow... that's a lot of information to process...

mac... as you said, going to shops, nowadays, is both impossible, since they are all closed, and risky, cops can fine your ads pretty bad for going out without a reason of necessity.

Besides, in order to make an appropriate test, I should take my piano with me, I don't think listening to recorded music would be of any help.

So all I can do is ordering them online (god bless Amazon)

The pumped up bass problem is what I have at the moment with my JVC HA-S160. Otherwise it sounds great, for its league, and it's very light and comfortable to wear.

I checked the reviews of some of the headphones you guys listed and it would appear that the bass/unbalanced "not linear sound" problem is still there, at least according to what I read on some of them.

Yamaha HPH-100

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/hph-100/specs.html

They sell it as a "piano accessory", so it would appear that it's kind of "recommended" (...?) by Yamaha for use with their DPs.

who knows...

I was looking for something in the 50 Euro range (there's little difference between € and USD at the present time); but of I get a good one for a bit more is no problem.

I noticed a lot of difference in sound quality between headphones so, before I buy yet another one, I'd like to be "sure" of what I do (if it'll ever be possible...)

Sony MDR 7506, AT M50x and Beyerdynamic DT770PRO are really nice "Monitor Headphones"...

Save some money and get nice headphones. I believe it's more important than speakers!

Within 50 E range, you will get Walmart quality stuff my friend, not a studio monitor.

Don't rush. Save some money if you can then buy good monitor headphones, you'll appreciate it later when you listen through them.

* bassy headphones are really bad for the majority genres of music except for pop! For classical music, it's horrible. Avoid bassy headphones.

Last edited by Abdol; 03/24/20 09:34 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

Yamaha HPH-100

I'm using the HPH-150 and much prefer them to my more expensive others which no longer get any ear time.
Incredibly lightweight, uncoloured, open but on-ear so not to everyone's liking.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by dire tonic
I'm using the HPH-150 and much prefer them to my more expensive others which no longer get any ear time.
Incredibly lightweight, uncoloured, open but on-ear so not to everyone's liking.

Thanks for your straight opinion smile

The 150 are different from the 100 but have similar features/specs, though, so one may expect a similar performance.

I have to say I always preferred light, non "ear sweating", headphones.

If I may ask, which "more expensive" headphones did you compare them with?

are you using them for a digital piano? if so, which one?

So would you recommend them?

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
These are on-ear but it's a velour cushion so no sweating here.

I'm using a VPC1 with various libraries (Garritan CFX, VIlabs upright, Ravenscroft etc.)

I've put away Sennheiser HD580, HD595 and AKG k702 (which is very close to the sound of the 150s).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission