2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (Beansparrow, ambrozy, Baltguy, BachToTheFuture, Bentsch, Animisha, Beowulf, Blague, 20 invisible), 918 guests, and 580 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Corona and appointments
TimM_980 #2957992 03/17/20 12:15 PM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TimM_980
Originally Posted by gwing
Why would you want a person to come to your home when they’ve gone from place to place tuning pianos?

I would want them to come round because my piano needed a tune, and because I wouldn't want to see their livelihood destroyed by this.

Ideally either the tuner or ourselves would have already had the virus, recovered, and now be immune. Then provided hands are washed before and after the visit there should be no real risk to anyone involved.

People affected by a crisis risk greater harm if they’re unable to move past denial.

Denial is refusing to acknowledge either imminent harm or harm that has already occurred. People may receive and understand the message, but behave as though the danger is not as great as they are being told. People may have:

Not received enough accurate information to recognize the threat,
Assumed the situation is not as bad as it really is because of outdated or incomplete information,
Assumed their past experiences provide enough information to make choices about their current situation, or
Received messages about a threat but not received action messages on what they should do.
When people doubt a threat is real, they may seek further confirmation. They may consult community leaders or experts for specific opinions. They might want to know how others are responding before they take action. Or the message may be so far outside a person’s experience that he or she simply can’t make sense of it and thus chooses to ignore it.

Denial can, at least in part, be prevented or addressed with clear consistent communication from a trusted source. If your audience receives and understands a consistent message from multiple trusted sources, they will be more likely to believe that message and act on it.

You asked a simple question to which I gave a straight reply. Am I being overly sensitive or are you saying that I'm in denial?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
michaelopolis #2959222 03/21/20 09:34 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Some of you may be interested in this. This here is a scientific realtime dashboard which tracks the genomic epidemiology of COVID-19. In a few words, it tracks the mutation and transmission paths of COVID-19 spreading across the world. You can "play" it to show a video of the transmission paths and spread over time and what countries are most active transmitting it, by date. Here is just a snapshot of what this looks like:

[Linked Image]

And for those who want to more dashboards, here are two more.

This is the John Hopkins University COVID-19 dashboard:

[Linked Image]

This is another COVID-19 tracker dashboard that has better breakdowns and statistics by country:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
gwing #2959224 03/21/20 09:45 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Why would you want a person to come to your home when they’ve gone from place to place tuning pianos?

I would want them to come round because my piano needed a tune, and because I wouldn't want to see their livelihood destroyed by this.

Ideally either the tuner or ourselves would have already had the virus, recovered, and now be immune. Then provided hands are washed before and after the visit there should be no real risk to anyone involved.

And how would you know the tuner and you have immunity? How would you know that you and the tuner are not asymptomatic carriers? The guidance is to avoid all social contact and not guess that it will be ok.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
dogperson #2959725 03/23/20 04:57 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by dogperson

And how would you know the tuner and you have immunity?

If you need absolute certainty an immunoglobulin test would show this. Accurate tests suitable for home use (no lab required) are just becoming available although at present expensive and not yet available in quantity.

How would you know that you and the tuner are not asymptomatic carriers?

A positive immunoglobulin test would also show that. However to avoid spreading alarm, although asymptomatic carriers could in theory exist, I don't think there is evidence for them yet. A 'typhoid Mary' hasn't emerged yet, AFAIK.

The guidance is to avoid all social contact and not guess that it will be ok.

Yes, but this is business contact, not social contact. That said, in a very short period of days I suspect the guidance here will change to also prohibit a lot of business contact as well..

Last edited by gwing; 03/23/20 04:57 AM.
gwing #2959735 03/23/20 05:57 AM
T
T

Yes, but this is business contact, not social contact. That said, in a very short period of days I suspect the guidance here will change to also prohibit a lot of business contact as well..

NHS England says not to have people come into your home at this time. Please review the information at this link and follow the directions of your government to protect your health and the health of your community.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

gwing #2959745 03/23/20 06:33 AM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member

And how would you know the tuner and you have immunity?

If you need absolute certainty an immunoglobulin test would show this. Accurate tests suitable for home use (no lab required) are just becoming available although at present expensive and not yet available in quantity.

How would you know that you and the tuner are not asymptomatic carriers?

A positive immunoglobulin test would also show that. However to avoid spreading alarm, although asymptomatic carriers could in theory exist, I don't think there is evidence for them yet. A 'typhoid Mary' hasn't emerged yet, AFAIK.

The guidance is to avoid all social contact and not guess that it will be ok.

Please start using valid sources before you post what should/can be done. It is dangerous to others to continue not doing this. You are also making up information which is dangerous to your own health. See Tim’s email below for the national Institute of health. You should read it

Please find a scientific source that says there is a test for immunity coming out and provide the link here. There’s an at home test for checking if you have the virus coming out soon. That is not the same thing is a test for immunity. From the scientific information I have read, Scientists are not even sure yet if you develop long term immunity if you have had the exposure. There is not enough data and they need to test patients who have had the disease over a period of time.
Please provide a source.

Read the NIH information provided by Tim
the CDC in the US is also credible

Last edited by dogperson; 03/23/20 06:34 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
TimM_980 #2959749 03/23/20 06:55 AM
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H

NHS England says not to have people come into your home at this time. Please review the information at this link and follow the directions of your government to protect your health and the health of your community.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

+1
thumb

michaelopolis #2959752 03/23/20 07:03 AM
T
T
Sad thing about this is there are many more people misinformed and/or think they have an an adequate understanding as a lay person about medicine. This thing is more complex and complicated than most of us are able to understand.

A lot of psychological issues come up when presented with a crisis. Reading this might help some people reflect on what their brain is doing right now:
https://emergency.cdc.gov/cerc/ppt/CERC_Psychology_of_a_Crisis.pdf

dogperson #2959804 03/23/20 11:07 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G

Please find a scientific source that says there is a test for immunity coming out and provide the link here. There’s an at home test for checking if you have the virus coming out soon.

Sorry but I'm not going to post the link as I don't think it is in the public interest to facilitate private demand for tests that could be better made available for key workers, but if you care enough and google around you should be able to find it.

It is not a test to see if you have the virus, it is a test to see if you have had the disease and now have antibodies for it.

Last edited by gwing; 03/23/20 11:08 AM.
michaelopolis #2959850 03/23/20 01:59 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Interesting graphs and tools. Sure has been a crazy week. Who'd have thought a week ago that the world would have changed so much? Anyway, anyone else shut down for the time being? My tuning arm is getting a nice rest.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
michaelopolis #2959882 03/23/20 04:07 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I've shut down. Staying home indefinitely.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
Chris Leslie #2959883 03/23/20 04:11 PM
A
A
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie

I've shut down my private business for the time being, but am still going into the university while I can. Wouldn't be surprised if a full campus shutdown is right around the corner, though.

Last edited by adamp88; 03/23/20 04:16 PM.

Adam Schulte-Bukowinski, RPT
Piano Technician, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
ASB Piano Service
Chris Leslie #2959890 03/23/20 04:35 PM
H
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie

IMO, that is the right thing to do nowadays.
thumb

michaelopolis #2959954 03/23/20 11:46 PM
J
J
My last tuning was last Wednesday. I could see that in the near future, things in my state would get to the point where I'd feel uncomfortable going from house to house and possibly carrying germs. I had been sanitizing my tools and bag between visits for probably a week before that, and wearing gloves to tune (surprisingly easy). The last piano I tuned was a marvelously rebuilt Mason A which I had helped some favorite customers buy a few years ago. I also removed a pencil which had fallen under the fallboard, and taught the lady how to remove the fallboard in case I can't get there when the next pencil falls. I was really happy with how the tuning turned out; it was a bittersweet visit for me.

Today, I should have been up in the northeastern corner of the state, tuning a Steinway S on a high school stage for the spring musical, and also a lovely old Baldwin F for an arts council concert in another little town. Instead, I slept till 10 (depression? stress?), tried to eat right, and took the dogs on a walk.

I've been sad and depressed, but I have a written to-do list of things I hope will aid in getting the business back up and running - work on database, update website, clean out workroom, etc. I have a few summer jobs on my list (regulation, key tops), but at this point I don't even want to go into anybody else's home, both for my sake and theirs. Looking at the state unemployment site, I think I qualify, but I've put it off a couple of days because so many people have been applying that it's hard to access.

This is hard and scary, but I do believe that we all have to just work together, stay put, try to stay healthy, and (as the WHO said) try to act as if we're contagious, even though we feel fine.

Piano Tuner/Technician
1938 Steinway Model M
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New - Hammond SK-Pro organ & synth (SK1 upgrade)
by Doug M. - 01/15/21 01:09 PM
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,265
Posts3,046,950
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission