2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
28 members (CraiginNZ, Gianluca, CyberGene, Greta99, Emery Wang, Carey, 10 invisible), 342 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How can I make my student feel safe ?
#2959569 03/22/20 01:39 PM
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello fellow teachers,

My student of 2 years is hinting he might stop lessons due to fears about COVID-19. I understand his fears but I am totally healthy and live a pretty isolated life anyway ( haven't even had the need to go to the doctor in more than 1 year ). I exercise every day, eat very healthy and am under 50, so in a "low risk" age group.
I want to leave Skype lessons as a last resort as my student lives only 10 minute drive from my home and it seems ridiculous.
Our lessons are 2 hours long ( weekly ) and we only use one piano, ( but have other pianos in the home ). I guess you could say we are in close proximity during the lesson as sometimes I demonstrate how to play something, especially what fingers to use sometimes.
I am thinking to avoid cash handling for now to reduce risk but once in a while my student or I would cough, and that can't really be avoided short of wearing a mask. I personally don't think it's a good idea to wear a mask if you're sneezing, but it might protect the other person by your side.

Thanks in advance

EDV

Last edited by EDV; 03/22/20 01:40 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How can I make my student feel safe ?
EDV #2959573 03/22/20 01:51 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
. . . I exercise every day, eat very healthy and am under 50, so in a "low risk" age group.

You are confusing two things:

. . . You _are_ in a low-risk group for _dying_ of Covid-19

. . . You have the same risk as anyone else, of _catching and spreading_ Covid-19.

So just being in the same room with you, is a risk to your student.

. . . I want to leave Skype lessons as a last resort as my student lives only 10 minute drive from my home and it seems ridiculous. . . .

Well, I just cancelled an in-person singing lesson, and will take all further lessons via Skype. And I live a 10-minute drive from my teacher.

So, IMHO:

. . . If you can figure out a way to keep the student, by using Skype (or Zoom), do it.

That way, he won't just _feel_ safe -- he'll really _be_ safe(*).

(*) "Safe" here, means "not at increased risk by taking lessons with you."

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/22/20 01:55 PM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
EDV #2959581 03/22/20 02:20 PM
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
The less contact we have with other people the better.

That is the only way to stop this from spreading.

Do you really want to take the risk and have your student infect you?

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400
Schimmel SP-182T "I wish I had the room to keep you around"
August Forster 215
EDV #2959582 03/22/20 02:23 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Dr Oz made a statement I’m personally living by: ‘close the borders to your house’. The problem with Covid-19 is you can be healthy, asymptomatic and still have the virus and transmit to others. There is no vaccine and no approved treatment. Piano lessons, by definition, would violate the rule of staying at least six feet from anyone else.

I’m afraid there is nothing you could say to me that would have me continue in -person lessons until this is resolved.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
EDV #2959592 03/22/20 02:57 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I’m not a teacher, but...all lessons should be cancelled or moved online. I have one lesson occurring online, and two other lessons cancelled. Piano lessons are not essential - no reason to risk it. Please stay safe.

I would be upset if any of my teachers tried to convince me it’s ok to go for in-person lessons right now.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/22/20 03:02 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
EDV #2959597 03/22/20 03:15 PM
E
EDV Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Did I mention I am in Australia? We have a total of 7 deaths for a population of 25 Million. And all deaths were people over the age of 70 I believe.
Anyway, here is one thing I might do:
Grab one of the other pianos in the home, and set it up next to my main piano. That way, I can demonstrate anything on my piano without being in close proximity.
That's the way they do in in most music schools . If my student seems reluctant, I will switch to Skype. By the way, anyone knows if music schools like Julliard and other major ones will be closing? I know for a fact Chinese students are almost a majority and also Italians ( this not only in Julliard, but in Music Schools all over the world ! )

EDV #2959604 03/22/20 03:26 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EDV
Did I mention I am in Australia? We have a total of 7 deaths for a population of 25 Million. And all deaths were people over the age of 70 I believe.
Grab one of the other pianos in the home, and set it up next to my main piano. That way, I can demonstrate anything on my piano without being in close proximity.
That's the way they do in in most music schools . If my student seems reluctant, I will switch to Skype. By the way, anyone knows if music schools like Julliard and other major ones will be closing? I know for a fact Chinese students are almost a majority and also Italians ( this not only in Julliard, but in Music Schools all over the world ! )

Do you realize that Australia has over 1700 positive diagnosis, a 26% increase from yesterday? This spreads exponentially and the only way to slow the escalation is self-isolation. I am not just concerned about death, but also a severe case of the virus, even if I don’t need to be hospitalized. It is very contagious: will live on plastic and wood for many days.

I don’t understand why you want to put yourself at risk.

Juliard is doing all remote learning

https://www.juilliard.edu/campus-life/covid-19-response

Last edited by dogperson; 03/22/20 03:31 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

EDV #2959617 03/22/20 03:53 PM
M
M
In my U.S. state and others, there is a legal mandate to "stay at home" except for essential functions (and many teachers had done this even before the order came down). Sorry, in-person lessons are not essential. One can say music is culturally essential, the creation and enjoyment of music is part of what makes us human, etc., but as far as essential during this crisis, no.

dogperson #2959620 03/22/20 04:01 PM
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by EDV

Do you realize that Australia has over 1700 positive diagnosis, a 26% increase from yesterday? This spreads exponentially and the only way to slow the escalation is self-isolation. I am not just concerned about death, but also a severe case of the virus, even if I don’t need to be hospitalized. It is very contagious: will live on plastic and wood for many days.

I don’t understand why you want to put yourself at risk.

Juliard is doing all remote learning

https://www.juilliard.edu/campus-life/covid-19-response

Sorry.. the current number is 1300 but still a 26% increase

EDV #2959633 03/22/20 04:42 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
The problem is that people think, “Oh, it’s not here yet so it’s ok if I do this or that.” I’m pretty sure that’s what people said in Italy, then Spain, then the UK, then the US, etc. Look what’s happened now.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
EDV #2959636 03/22/20 05:03 PM

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member

Goodbye Mister Upright (Yamaha YUS5), hello Estonia L168.
Qwerty53 #2959654 03/22/20 06:00 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
EDV #2959661 03/22/20 06:28 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You may be at low risk of dying, but others are at higher risk.
Perhaps your student has regular contact with higher risk individuals.
Perhaps your student's contacts are in contact with high risk individuals.

Social distancing slows the transmission. Isolation slows it more.

Learner
EDV #2959702 03/22/20 11:18 PM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
But how will we know when it's slow enough?

Why can't the people of higher risk be supported in self-isolation? For instance, a mother has diabetes. She isolates with her family.

Other people get to keep earning money, including her husband. Perhaps he lives in a shelter for a while so she doesn't get infected. Perhaps we pay for that shelter.

This is truly going nutty, this self-isolation and wrecking the economy for nothing. What about the poor slugs who will end up on the streets due to this first world angst about a bug that you can't stop, despite what they think.

EDV #2959706 03/22/20 11:35 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EDV
I want to leave Skype lessons as a last resort as my student lives only 10 minute drive from my home and it seems ridiculous.

Online lessons may be the new reality for the time being. Get used to it.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Candywoman #2959753 03/23/20 07:07 AM

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Candywoman
... a bug that you can't stop, despite what they think.
Nobody thinks the coronavirus can be "stopped." The hope is to slow down the spread so that all of the people, young and old, who will get sick won't need a hospital at the same time as everyone who has a heart attack, a car accident, reaches their time to give birth to a baby during the coming months. In the past few days, the county began to build an emergency field hospital of 200 beds on a soccer field less than 10 miles from my home. This is happening today, within an hour's drive of many of the largest and most profitable corporations in the United States. Everyone please stay home, wash your hands. Make some music.

Goodbye Mister Upright (Yamaha YUS5), hello Estonia L168.
EDV #2959786 03/23/20 09:45 AM
M
M
I hear from friends and family in healthcare that basically their hospitals are rationing supplies. For example, they are being asked to use surgical masks for much longer than is standard/safe. I guess some protection is better than no protection, if they run out. That is why at least one state governor (I don't track them all) has appealed to manufacturers that if their equipment and processes can be adapted to produce medical supplies, to do so urgently. This is literally like war, when metal and raw materials for consumer goods are redirected toward ammunition and weaponry.

Supply of hospital beds and ventilators is finite (can be increased but is finite). Supply of healthcare workers is finite (can be increased but is finite). If healthcare workers are not adequately protected, they get sick faster. Suppose they have to choose between still going to work to at least save some patients? Stay home and recover, causing staffing shortage? Not a choice but if they are sick enough to need hospitalization, they add to patient load AND are part of staffing shortage? These may not be as concerning in "regular" times, but they are when it's imminent that system capacity is about to be challenged. Then, when resources are scarce, healthcare workers are faced with choosing who gets them, i.e., who lives or dies.

I'm not exaggerating - this is literally happening in some parts of the world. Numbers don't lie (well, unless they are being underreported...), and if even it "doesn't seem bad" now, do we want to wait until it is? It's "slow enough" when the reputable mathematical models show that healthcare infrastructure will be able to handle it, when a viable vaccine is introduced, when herd immunity takes effect, etc. There will be economic and death toll whether under stay-at-home-unless-essential orders or making no change. How do you choose what's less bad or something in between? I'm glad I'm not the one deciding public policy.

It's easy for one person to think, my individual contribution doesn't move the needle so why bother. Sorry about the rant but it matters.

EDV #2959796 03/23/20 10:33 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Trombone teachers have moved to online - most of them teach university students and most of these schools have closed, so they're forced.

The common student complaint "I played it better at home!" no longer works.

I guess the virus dies in a couple days on a surface so we have an excuse not to practice every day now. Alas, it's just one of those habits like brushing teeth.

gotta go practice
WeakLeftHand #2959799 03/23/20 10:43 AM
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
The problem is that people think, “Oh, it’s not here yet so it’s ok if I do this or that.” I’m pretty sure that’s what people said in Italy, then Spain, then the UK, then the US, etc. Look what’s happened now.

Exactly what I wanted to post! Excellent point.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
EDV #2959827 03/23/20 12:50 PM
S
S
I’m also in Australia and my teacher has cancelled lessons effective today. I think it would be pretty irresponsible to do otherwise now that the Government has closed non-essential shops.

A bit more pain right now might mean less pain overall in the long run. But people here seem to be asleep to that - groups of people still meeting up in public and so on. It’ll only lead to more draconian restrictions if people lack the gumption to act responsibly of their own volition.

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45. Yamaha RD-250 (a long time ago). smile
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why couldn't I have these parents?
by David B - 11/27/20 12:33 AM
Some Questions Re: Old Petrof Grand
by Seeker - 11/26/20 10:27 PM
Thanksgiving
by Retsacnal - 11/26/20 08:55 PM
VI labs Black Friday deals
by newer player - 11/26/20 06:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,073
Posts3,027,592
Members99,381
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission