2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
33 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, Dazzie2, Brahms4, clothearednincompo, Anglagard44, Evgeny Baturin, Animisha, alexii, Colin Miles, 5 invisible), 407 guests, and 389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ultimate karmic repayment in the form of a piano
#2959128 03/21/20 01:25 AM
I
OP Offline
I
There have been times in my life when that old blues nugget - if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all - seemed to apply a little too well, but that has certainly not been true of my recent quest to finally acquire a high quality acoustic piano. I have never owned, or even had regular access to, an acoustic piano of decent quality, and I'm a 47 year old who started piano at age 3. My parents had what is still a lovely C Bechstein upright that is still in their living room today (and played by them daily), but since moving out of their house at age 18, I've had nothing but digital and electromechanical pianos (suitcase rhodes, wurly 140b) aside from a short stint with a crappy rental upright.

About a year ago, I became determined to really work on my technical abilities as a pianist, even going so far as to take a couple of lessons (I'm self-taught since abandoning my childhood lessons before age 10), but the better my abilities got, and the more exposure to nice grand pianos I had, the more awareness of the shortcomings of digital and vintage electric pianos I had. To some not-insignificant extent, my fiance and I embarked on a search for a house to buy because I wanted a forever home within which I could put a forever piano, and space for a grand piano of at least 7' was a hard prerequisite for any home we looked at.

After much looking, we found a lovely place, with a bit of land, in the woods outside of Portland, OR, just across the Columbia in Camas, WA. Along the way, I started auditioning pianos at every piano store in town (and Seattle) while also checking out the few high-quality pianos for sale in the local market. I eventually fell in love with a fairly recent (2004) Mason & Hamlin model A that was on consignment with a local piano store. I mostly play jazz and blues, often in small ensemble context, and tend to find that Steinways don't have a tone that lends itself to the music I make. I really wanted to like the Steinway model As and Bs that I tried, but none satisfied. Going back and forth between several recently restored Steinway As and Bs and the M&H model A, I found that I consistently preferred the M&H despite the shorter 6'4" length. It sounded every bit as long as the model Bs I compared it to.

Upon returning home that evening, I was browsing the local craigslist listings, searching for 'mason & hamlin,' when I encountered an ad, not in the instryments for sale section, but in the section for musicians recruiting other musicians into bands and for lessons. The ad was from the owner of a Mason & Hamlin "baby grand" (that's all she knew about it), who had been gifted her piano by a mother who could no longer play due to arthritis. She had it in storage, but wanted the piano to be in a location where it would be played, preferably where it could contribute to the growth of numerous musicians, such as a school or theatre. I reached out, explaining that I have intentions to build a music recording space in my workshop, where local blues and jazz musicians would be welcome to play, record, and livestream. It's not a school, but it was intended to support the local community of musicians that I play with. She came down to a local jam where I'm in the house band, and was introduced to our community of players, and eventually agreed to store her piano in my studio.

After months of waiting, including the whole process of buying the house, I either ended up with the most expensive piano ever purchased (the mortgage!) or the greatest free piano anyone other than a budding concert pianist could ever hope to be gifted with. I still have much work to do to build out the studio space, so the piano lives in my living room at the moment (where that other model A will eventually go if I don't end up buying another piano I have since encountered), but her 1940 refurbished M&H model B was finally delivered on Tuesday of this week.

I knew from the first touch that it was a really excellent piano. Sure, it is only 5'4" in length, but it is an extraordinary instrument for that size - and both tuner and piano technician agreed when I had them out to prep the thing today. The ivories are in such perfect condition that my (blind) tuner didn't believe me when I told him they were ivory keys until the technician he called to repair a damping problem confirmed it. The seams simply cannot be felt even by the fingertips of someone used to reading braille. The strings are old, but the action was completely refurbished not too long ago. The hammers are in nearly new condition, still. The finish has its occasional blemishes, but they are minor. After tuning it and getting the dampers working properly today (a broken leaf spring was preventing them from dropping with enough pressure to damp every note), the piano revealed itself to be a truly excellent blues, jazz, pop piano that, while sounding quite nice on classical material, really sounds amazing on more modern material. Total cost to me was $325+tip for delivery, $150 for tuning, and $260 to fix dampers and a couple of other minor issues. Not quite free, but as close to it as one is likely to find for an instrument that is surely worth at least $20K but which sounds like it is worth far more than that.

I couldn't be happier or feel luckier. We've got this beautiful new house, a new puppy (named Mason Hamlin because he's black and white) who we adopted even before we moved into the house, and now this lovely piano that was gifted to our community of friends and musicians that I get to live with and experience on a daily basis.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8FBk05ADTF/
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PUgDXtDqzBnLyHtE8

As you can see from that last album, the place is quite lovely in Spring, but we had a freak return to winter last weekend. The green photo was taken mere days after the snowy one. Also, there is an artist's bench for the piano, but it is still at the owner's home.

Last edited by ideasculptor; 03/21/20 01:30 AM.
Re: Ultimate karmic repayment in the form of a piano
ideasculptor #2959299 03/21/20 03:46 PM
What a great story! I'm thrilled you're loving the piano and it'll be enjoyed by the community at large as well. Also, your dogs are adorable laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Synchron Pianos sale extended till June 15
by VladK - 06/04/20 11:52 PM
Editions without fingering
by skern49 - 06/04/20 11:19 PM
help picking DP
by Dazzie2 - 06/04/20 07:52 PM
Chopin 3D face reconstructed
by CyberGene - 06/04/20 06:19 PM
4th Finger Pain
by alexii - 06/04/20 05:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,406
Posts2,966,175
Members97,304
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission