2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
65 members (Beowulf, 20/20 Vision, ChrisGoesPiano, 1957, AlphaBravoCharlie, bxrdad1, 19 invisible), 466 guests, and 411 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: COVID 19 and the Piano Industry
Jack Moody #2958121 03/17/20 08:36 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jack Moody
Does anyone remember the pandemic of 2009?

H1N1 killed around 13,000 Americans and up to 500,000+ worldwide.

Corona has killed <100 Americans and < 8,000 total, I think.

H1n1 didnt get the same media and government response, though.

I do not think those numbers are correct , a few thousand have died world wide .
Many are walking around infected and do not know it .If you are young ,healthy you may be alright.
With H1n1 a vaccine was found fairly quickly ,here it could be another 18 months.
This virus is something new ,I do not think our immune system have any "memory"
of the virus. It is related to SARS.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
talkoftheweather #2958125 03/17/20 08:43 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
One site says 7,965 deaths world wide. Many are elderly, and people with health concerns.
This is just the beginning. We have to care for those people.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/17/20 08:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
Lady Bird #2958131 03/17/20 09:00 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
One site says 7,965 deaths world wide. Many are elderly, and people with health concerns.

This is the John Hopkins University COVID-19 realtime dashboard.

[Linked Image]

You can see from this dashboard clearly that while China and Korea have gotten COVID-19 under control in their respective countries, the rest of the world has completely lost control of it. (See small graph on lower right.)

Note that at the current rate of exponential growth in cases in Italy, it will pass China as the number one most infected country in the world in about one week.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Jack Moody #2958134 03/17/20 09:06 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

The projected number of American deaths at this point even in the best case scenario is significantly worse than for H1N1. In the worst case scenario 2M could die in the U.S. alone.

Dr. Fauci has said over and over that the most important thing is for everyone to take this seriously even if they are not likely to have a bad outcome if they get the virus.

Lady Bird #2958136 03/17/20 09:27 PM
J
J

I do not think those numbers are correct , a few thousand have died world wide .
Many are walking around infected and do not know it .If you are young ,healthy you may be alright.
With H1n1 a vaccine was found fairly quickly ,here it could be another 18 months.
This virus is something new ,I do not think our immune system have any "memory"
of the virus. It is related to SARS.

I just looked up the numbers to make sure. They give a broad range on h1n1, like 250,000-575000.

The numbers are right.

pianoloverus #2958148 03/17/20 09:53 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

The projected number of American deaths at this point even in the best case scenario is significantly worse than for H1N1. In the worst case scenario 2M could die in the U.S. alone.

Dr. Fauci has said over and over that the most important thing is for everyone to take this seriously even if they are not likely to have a bad outcome if they get the virus.

The best case scenario is not much worse than H1N1. Thats ridiculous. There is absolutely no way someone can honestly say that right now. That's how this mass hysteria is fueled.

Remember, it started in China prior to December 2019. How long do you think it took for it to travel to the US and other places?

The numbers I listed above are confirmed deaths. Its probably been her for a while, undiagnosed. I'm sure some deaths were lumped in as flu. So its probably actually killed more, but there aren't dead bodies littering the streets. 

I'm not saying it should be ignored. I always practice good hygiene. 

I'm not dismissing the disease. People should bet cautious, not terrified. 

Death, danger and the unknown are part of l life. How many people die in auto crashes each year? Why doesnt everyone destroy their car? It would save lives.

talkoftheweather #2958149 03/17/20 09:54 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I think many more probably died in Iran and perhaps in China before the virus was officially recognized. Well Jack it may be nice to think this is going to be another H1N1.But I am afraid
not.

Tyrone Slothrop #2958160 03/17/20 10:11 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

[Linked Image]

You can see from this dashboard clearly that while China and Korea have gotten COVID-19 under control in their respective countries, the rest of the world has completely lost control of it. (See small graph on lower right.)

Note that at the current rate of exponential growth in cases in Italy, it will pass China as the number one most infected country in the world in about one week.

That graph means pretty much nothing. Confirmed cases are confirmed by testing. As testing goes up, so do confirmed cases.

How do people honestly think that this highly contagious virus, has sat in China since before December? Now its suddenly traveled for some reason?

Many doctors believe it's been here for some time, even though there were 0 confirmed cases.

Again, I'm not saying it should be ignored.

Lady Bird #2958161 03/17/20 10:14 PM
J
J
I think many more probably died in Iran and perhaps in China before the virus was officially recognized. Well Jack it may be nice to think this is going to be another H1N1.But I am afraid
not.

I understand what you meant, but I hope it isn't another H1N1! In 2009, H1N1 was terrible!There's no solid evidence that it will be that bad and with all of the precautions in place, I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad.

Nobody really knows what happens in China or Iran.

Last edited by Jack Moody; 03/17/20 10:15 PM.
Jack Moody #2958165 03/17/20 10:25 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Many doctors believe it's been here for some time, even though there were 0 confirmed cases.

Citations please.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Jack Moody #2958167 03/17/20 10:29 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L

[Linked Image]

That graph means pretty much nothing. Confirmed cases are confirmed by testing. As testing goes up, so do confirmed cases.

How do people honestly think that this highly contagious virus, has sat in China since before December? Now its suddenly traveled for some reason?

Again, I'm not saying it should be ignored.

This is worse than H1N1 and it is just begining for the US, Canada and other countries.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/17/20 10:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Tyrone Slothrop #2958172 03/17/20 10:41 PM
J
J

Citations please.

You doubt that it's been in the US for sometime? The World Health Organization was notified, by China, in December. So, we had unrestricted travel for who knows how long, while it was in existence.

More specifically, my wife is a hospitalist. The hospital has been flooded with information/meetings. She told me that was a popular belief.

She also told me that they believe a very high majority could only have minor symptoms, so the worst cases are more likely to be tested.

I'm not trying to act like I know everything about it and it's a nothing deal. It could get worse, but I hate to see so many people traumatized by fear.

Jack Moody #2958198 03/18/20 12:12 AM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Citations please.

You doubt that it's been in the US for sometime? The World Health Organization was notified, by China, in December. So, we had unrestricted travel for who knows how long, while it was in existence.

More specifically, my wife is a hospitalist. The hospital has been flooded with information/meetings. She told me that was a popular belief.

She also told me that they believe a very high majority could only have minor symptoms, so the worst cases are more likely to be tested.

I'm not trying to act like I know everything about it and it's a nothing deal. It could get worse, but I hate to see so many people traumatized by fear.

I'd like to see real scientific evidence for such an assertion. Yes, I do doubt it, but my opinion here doesn't matter. Either there is evidence, or it is just speculation. For speculation, I don't think any decisions should be made on the basis of speculation, one way or another. Especially attitude to COVID-19 should not be influenced by speculation.

[Linked Image]

talkoftheweather #2958209 03/18/20 01:23 AM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
“That’s ODD: My Facebook friends who were constitutional scholars just a month ago are now infections disease experts…”

The above comes from here:
http://i2.wp.com/suindependent.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/corona19-1.jpg?w=1404&ssl=1

There’s really no point in getting all worked up about the disease here. One thing I like about PW is that there’s no political bickering. This is coming close. And it serves no purpose. Being “right” or wrong is of no consequence. It is what it is. It will last as long as it’s going to last. And it’s not about pianos.

“Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer,
and pour out my despair at the piano.”

-Frederic Chopin
talkoftheweather #2958227 03/18/20 05:34 AM
B
B
Well, I'm trying to support the piano industry here... booked the piano for a tune at the end of the month, hopefully get it done before the infected numbers pose too much of a threat. And who wants to be in self quarantine with an out of tune instrument. Will also continue actual piano lessons as long as my teacher offers them... even if I did have to source some hand sanitizing gel on ebay at an inflated price to make me feel like I am taking some care of myself and others.
Our planned trip to New Zealand at the end of April is cancelled... Australia has issued a do no travel to anywhere travel alert, both countries are requiring 14days isolation on arrival, and flights have been scaleing down by about 80%.
On a positive note, my husband is looking at the possibility of a road trip within Australia to some of the high country national parks to hike... we just have to work out what hasn't been burnt.
Take care everyone.

Bett #2958230 03/18/20 05:53 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Bett
Well, I'm trying to support the piano industry here... booked the piano for a tune at the end of the month, hopefully get it done before the infected numbers pose too much of a threat. And who wants to be in self quarantine with an out of tune instrument. Will also continue actual piano lessons as long as my teacher offers them... even if I did have to source some hand sanitizing gel on ebay at an inflated price to make me feel like I am taking some care of myself and others.
Our planned trip to New Zealand at the end of April is cancelled... Australia has issued a do no travel to anywhere travel alert, both countries are requiring 14days isolation on arrival, and flights have been scaleing down by about 80%.
On a positive note, my husband is looking at the possibility of a road trip within Australia to some of the high country national parks to hike... we just have to work out what hasn't been burnt.
Take care everyone.

Yes I've done the same but haven't had a reply from my piano tuner yet - I hope he is OK.

Doing this obviously isn't a good idea for anyone at risk and self isolating, but for those not self isolating and who will get exposed to the virus can I suggest, in the interests of slowing down the virus spread, something like:

a) Don't touch the piano for 24 hrs before or after the tuning has been done.
b) Leave the piano room cool, door shut and windows open for that 48hr period.
c) Sanitise the door handles the tuner is going to have to touch, and provide some soap and water on the step so the tuner can wash their hands before and after the visit. Do the usual safe distance and no physical contact stuff.
d) Be happy and enjoy playing your nicely tuned piano.

gwing #2958238 03/18/20 06:44 AM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by Bett
Take care everyone.

Yes I've done the same but haven't had a reply from my piano tuner yet - I hope he is OK.

Doing this obviously isn't a good idea for anyone at risk and self isolating, but for those not self isolating and who will get exposed to the virus can I suggest, in the interests of slowing down the virus spread, something like:

a) Don't touch the piano for 24 hrs before or after the tuning has been done.
b) Leave the piano room cool, door shut and windows open for that 48hr period.
c) Sanitise the door handles the tuner is going to have to touch, and provide some soap and water on the step so the tuner can wash their hands before and after the visit. Do the usual safe distance and no physical contact stuff.
d) Be happy and enjoy playing your nicely tuned piano.

Just FYI
If there is viral content on your keys or wood, it can remain 9 days without disinfectant

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
talkoftheweather #2958241 03/18/20 06:54 AM
D
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
D
Pianoloverus is correct, Jack is wrong. Signed, a physician. Might be best not to argue these points here. We are facing a not brief period in history that requires prudence, which varies by person, and courage. May we be well!

Last edited by dhull100; 03/18/20 06:57 AM.
Tyrone Slothrop #2958264 03/18/20 08:42 AM
J
J

Citations please.

I'd like to see real scientific evidence for such an assertion. Yes, I do doubt it, but my opinion here doesn't matter. Either there is evidence, or it is just speculation. For speculation, I don't think any decisions should be made on the basis of speculation, one way or another. Especially attitude to COVID-19 should not be influenced by speculation.

Reread my posts and wording. I think it's pretty clear that I am talking about speculation.

You dont think that there is a tremendous amount of speculation on the news? You said that under the best case scenario this will be much worse than N1H1. Is that not speculation?

I didn't say that anyone should be careless. The actions that the governments are taking will save lives. They could save lives if the same measures were encouraging/enforced for the flu.

I'm not running around town and eating at restaurants, but I'm not having panic attacks about this either. Everyone will have to be patient to see how bad this will be. That's the truth.

talkoftheweather #2958268 03/18/20 09:04 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Best to keep the speculation piano focused.

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA58 display
by ChrisGoesPiano - 05/28/20 04:58 AM
Do you teach sight reading?
by Ubu - 05/28/20 04:37 AM
Tool Backpack
by TimM_980 - 05/28/20 12:47 AM
Looking for a piano
by ThePenist - 05/28/20 12:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,226
Posts2,963,043
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission