2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
69 members (BachToTheFuture, 1957, 3x4rt, Buzz209, anotherscott, 36251, cmb13, Anna B., 15 invisible), 487 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: COVID 19 and the Piano Industry
Lady Bird #2957975 03/17/20 12:45 PM
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
Originally Posted by dogperson
Now is the time to buy a piano????
I can’t imagine as there are so many unknown and worries:
- Will I and the ones I care about remain healthy?
- if we become ill, what will be the cost of treatment?
- will people stop hoarding before I must grocery shop ?
- will I still.be employed?

Risk going to a piano store with potential viral exposure? Last thing on my ‘to do’ list.
To each his own.

Yes I am frightneed ., I am in the age group to be terrified, for myself.
Of course I am not going to buy a piano. Perhaps I should not go
to the piano store person I should ?
Yes I have real worries about family here and in South Africa and the UK.
My pain is also real.

I would strongly recommend you not go to the piano store until this pandemic is over. Stay home.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
Beemer #2957977 03/17/20 12:49 PM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Beemer
Well I am going downtown this week and may just visit a dealer just to try some of the pianos just
for the joy of it !

Wearing gloves?
Ian

Going downtown? How are you going to get there? On public transportation? Into a possibly crowded area where people don't keep their distance because there's not enough space to do so? Playing pianos that some (or many) others may have had their hands on while not knowing that the keyboards you touch have been sanitized?

While I don't want to be an alarmist, I wouldn't do any of those things because they defy the logic that health officials are telling us to observe.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
talkoftheweather #2957979 03/17/20 12:52 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Something we can, do is to be kind to each other here and
in the real world. We have power over that at least.

BruceD #2957980 03/17/20 12:54 PM
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Playing pianos that some (or many) others may have had their hands on while not knowing that the keyboards you touch have been sanitized?

I've received an informational email from one of the piano dealers on this forum that suggest responsible piano dealers are taking COVID-19 quite seriously and disinfecting keyboards immediately after anyone uses them, and other measures recommended by the health authorities.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyrone Slothrop #2957984 03/17/20 01:01 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Playing pianos that some (or many) others may have had their hands on while not knowing that the keyboards you touch have been sanitized?

I've received an informational email from one of the piano dealers on this forum that suggest responsible piano dealers are taking COVID-19 quite seriously and disinfecting keyboards immediately after anyone uses them, and other measures recommended by the health authorities.

While we can only hope that all dealers are doing that, playing a piano in a dealership is not a necessary risk that I would be willing to take, however, in the current situation. Given that LB claims to be in the high-risk category ... well, it's her decision, isn't it?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2957993 03/17/20 01:16 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L

While we can only hope that all dealers are doing that, playing a piano in a dealership is not a necessary risk that I would be willing to take, however, in the current situation. Given that LB claims to be in the high-risk category ... well, it's her decision, isn't it?

Regards,

My husband and I are 70 ,old but not too old ,but old enough., I was going to meet my friends at Starbucks today but now I am not. We shall communicate by "What's App" instead .
On Thursday we shall drive to town. All our lives are now suddenly different.

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/17/20 01:19 PM. Reason: Missing word
BruceD #2957994 03/17/20 01:16 PM
D
D

Regards,

If you get a great discount for the piano you want, let's say 1/2 price, would you go? jk smile

I am really worried. Not really about the disease but how it put the whole world in a standstill and the effects it is placing on world's society and economy. We will look back all this and live with its effects on us for years to come.

talkoftheweather #2958002 03/17/20 01:37 PM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Unfortunately, there is only one way to respect the need to stop the coronavirus. And that is to respect the need to stop the coronavirus. As I said earlier, I think that this catastrophe could produce a major recession world wide. Our only chance to avoid it is to obey the strictures and comply with the boundaries set by those with greater expertise than we all have.

The list of essential businesses includes grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, and gas stations. Unfortunately, piano stores are not only the list.

This is not to criticize those whose livelihood depends on all things pianos for trying to save themselves from economic catastrophe. But think of the workers who are paid by the hour and who don't get paid if they don't work, and who won't be able to pay for food and necessities if this situation continues. And then stay home.

BruceD #2958010 03/17/20 02:09 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Beemer
Well I am going downtown this week and may just visit a dealer just to try some of the pianos just
for the joy of it !

Wearing gloves?
Ian

Going downtown? How are you going to get there? On public transportation? Into a possibly crowded area where people don't keep their distance because there's not enough space to do so? Playing pianos that some (or many) others may have had their hands on while not knowing that the keyboards you touch have been sanitized?

While I don't want to be an alarmist, I wouldn't do any of those things because they defy the logic that health officials are telling us to observe.

Thank you for your genuine concern Bruce !

Lady Bird #2958011 03/17/20 02:14 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Something we can, do is to be kind to each other here and
in the real world. We have power over that at least.

thumb

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see
~Mark Twain
DreamPiano80 #2958022 03/17/20 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by DreamPiano80
I am really worried. Not really about the disease but how it put the whole world in a standstill and the effects it is placing on world's society and economy. We will look back all this and live with its effects on us for years to come.
This crisis proves how FRAGILE our society and economy really are.

Last edited by Carey; 03/17/20 03:01 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Lady Bird #2958059 03/17/20 05:08 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Regards,

My husband and I are 70 ,old but not too old ,but old enough., I was going to meet my friends at Starbucks today but now I am not. We shall communicate by "What's App" instead .
On Thursday we shall drive to town. All our lives are now suddenly different.

Some of our grocery stores are offering “seniors only shopping hours” right after store opening after the overnight cleaning and restocking. Personally I think it’s a great idea being one of those in the “vulnerable” groups for COVID-19.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I don’t play well but I play far better than I sing.
[Linked Image]
talkoftheweather #2958068 03/17/20 05:43 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks J&J for that .I shall have to find out how early this is.
I may still try a few pianos in that dealer on Thursday .Shall
take the hand sanitizer with and my own soap !
"Curiosity killed the cat " not this cat .

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/17/20 05:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
talkoftheweather #2958076 03/17/20 06:10 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Some of our grocery stores are offering “seniors only shopping hours” right after store opening after the overnight cleaning and restocking. Personally I think it’s a great idea being one of those in the “vulnerable” groups for COVID-19...."

That's so great! It already fits my lifestyle, in that, now that I'm retired, I avoid getting on the road at rush hour wherever it happens, and my partner is already planning to grocery shop late at night. Shopping, driving, gym, doctor and medical appointments; lots of things like that, I already do it because it is more convenient for me, and because it lightens the load of people whose jobs and family duties take up so much of their time.

All this is difficult, of course. The economy is going to take such a shellacking, especially in the short term. The government is going to see some shaking-out; I don't think all the incompetents and philistines are going to be able to hold on to their gigs. Pardon me if I refrain from weeping crocodile tears for these gentry. People will definitely need some good will, good humor, deliberate responsibility, and resilience, and--- know it or not--- some things are transpersonal, yet very nourishing for their being all-but ineffable.

But, I do not think that this is the end of the world. Our genes have already lived through "the end of the world" so many times... yet, here we are. I have a mutation, a little misspelling on a chromosome, which enabled my forebears to survive the great bubonic plague events that swept through northern Europe. Turns out, it also protects against HIV/ AIDS, to an extent. One gets to live longer. COVID 19 will play itself out so that most people will survive, with antibodies against it. Our bodies already know how to do this. It won't happen immediately, but the regular flu vaccine most of us get every year already will include stimulating our immunity for COVID 19.

The big thing we can do right now, is to stay well and stay out of the hospital while the initial wave washes over the population. That way, the hellish triage that will force doctors to decide who gets the ventilator, and who doesn't, can be avoided. Doctors hate this--- it really goes against the grain. Please, be good to yourself; that is responsible; that helps society out in a big way. And register to vote by mail!

Good luck to all of us. Sometimes, we have to make our own luck; this may be one of those times.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 03/17/20 06:11 PM.

Clef

talkoftheweather #2958079 03/17/20 06:20 PM
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well put.

Lady Bird #2958081 03/17/20 06:21 PM
L
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks J&J for that .I shall have to find out how early this is.
I may still try a few pianos in that dealer on Thursday .Shall
take the hand sanitizer with and my own soap !
"Curiosity killed the cat " not this cat .

I should say with care and God's help. That for all of us .

j&j #2958092 03/17/20 06:50 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by j&j
[...[Some of our grocery stores are offering “seniors only shopping hours” right after store opening after the overnight cleaning and restocking. Personally I think it’s a great idea being one of those in the “vulnerable” groups for COVID-19.

Similarly here; from the manager/owner of one of our farmers' markets:

Before I lose you with my long winded message, I'd like to speak to 'panic buying'. Please STOP. We aren't seeing it here, and for that we are grateful. This causes unnecessary stress on the supply chain, on staff in stores, and renders others without. I want to assure you that we do not have supply chain concerns, we will be here for you, with food on our shelves. You will however, notice a few compromises being made in our store due to lightened staff levels, we ask for your understanding as we prioritize everyone's health and safety by having fewer staff on shift at any given time, (for example, we will not have baggers on our tills, and you will see a few less options here and there in order to accommodate our increased sanitation procedures).

We are strongly suggesting that the first hour of the day 8-9am is the ideal time for the elderly or vulnerable to do their shopping (if they don't have someone to do it for them). Our customer volume is low, our staff levels are high and our store will have been freshly sanitized. We will not turn you away but If you are a low risk individual we suggest that you honour this window of time if you are able, out of respect for those in our community that are comforted by this accommodation.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
dogperson #2958110 03/17/20 07:52 PM
Piano business is good here in Melbourne,at the moment.We have an uneducated theory that people confined to their homes might want to do something more than watch Netflix.

Piano sales consultant
Australian Piano Warehouse-Melbourne Australia
30 years and still going
Steinway upright,Yamaha upright,Roland RD800,Korg Kronos
talkoftheweather #2958115 03/17/20 08:12 PM
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Some ways we can help...

Gift Cards.
Purchase a gift card from businesses, especially indpendent shops, that we normally shop at but cannot because things are shut down. (Your favorite pizza shop, for instance.)

Pre-Pay Your Tuner For Your Next Piano Tuning.
So what if the piano isn't tuned right now this minute. It can wait.

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
talkoftheweather #2958118 03/17/20 08:24 PM
J
J
Does anyone remember the pandemic of 2009?

H1N1 killed around 13,000 Americans and up to 500,000+ worldwide.

Corona has killed <100 Americans and < 8,000 total, I think.

H1n1 didnt get the same media and government response, though.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning Pin Bushings Prevent Glue Seepage
by Duaner - 10/30/20 12:46 PM
Gospel-Jazz Chord Progression & Scale
by BB666 - 10/30/20 07:33 AM
Guitar Center Mulls Restructuring
by newer player - 10/30/20 12:44 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,489
Posts3,018,746
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission