2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
67 members (blueviewlaguna., Bruce In Philly, achoo42, Beowulf, Boboulus, beeboss, 16 invisible), 552 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Anyone cancelled their piano lesson ?
Serge88 #2957802 03/16/20 08:06 PM
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
The college where I take lessons just announced it was switching to on-line teaching for the remainder of the semester. One-on-one learning will be restricted. I'm not much interested in on-line lessons and I can't see my teacher being very excited, either. But I don't have to make any decisions for a couple of weeks, which is a lifetime at the current pace of things.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Serge88 #2957805 03/16/20 08:11 PM
S
S
I’m expecting my teacher to cancel soon, but she hasn’t yet. I also don’t particularly want to go to Skype lessons or similar as I just can’t see how you could get all those little personal speech and body cues to come across. (I do video-conferences now and then in my professional work and find them painful.)

But if my teacher does go to online she won’t get off the hook as easily as me just walking away. There is always something she can explain or demonstrate so I’ll be using the lesson time as best possible. And I certainly don’t want her to go broke. smile

Yamaha U1. Yamaha P-45. Yamaha RD-250 (a long time ago). smile
JimF #2957810 03/16/20 08:36 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by JimF
My teacher cancelled in-studio lessons as of today. She's going to skype or facetime. I've done skype lessons before and really have no interest in learning that way, but she will continue to be paid our regular monthly amount regardless. Remember folks, if you can afford it, a broke piano teacher does you no good. This too will pass.

I don't think it has to do with being broke. My time is worth the same whether in-person or online. I teach both in-person and online, and I have students that prefer online for various personal reasons. There's no reason why they shouldn't benefit from learning piano from a teacher.

Obviously, you don't want to take online lessons, and that is your option. During this time, I've given my in-person students an option to do online, or to wait. Some have chosen to wait, and we'll work out arrangements when we're ready to get back to it. Most have taken the online option, which will help them continue to progress - especially since they will have a lot more time to practice now. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Serge88 #2957852 03/17/20 02:20 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Teacher has decided all lessons will be Zoom for now. Our next workshop will also be via Zoom! Should be interesting smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Serge88 #2957861 03/17/20 04:02 AM
E
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
I am starting to show symptoms which I think is more than likely just a seasonal cold. Just to be safe I immediately cancelled my in person piano lessons for the time being. My teacher and I will be trying for the first time this week to have a lesson on facetime. It should be interesting and although there will be some shortcomings, I am going to save travel time and the hardship of finding a parking spot in the city. I will miss her beautiful grand piano though.

Following Trying to follow the Ling Ling 40 hour method

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Serge88 #2957863 03/17/20 04:24 AM
C
C
chrispy

Thank you for sharing the video. although i am not taking on line lessons at the moment but self learning from home I found it very useful should I want to have online lessons in the future . There is a current thread on the adult beginers forum about online lessons they would also find this link useful.

Using Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 1
Currently working on Unit 16
Also working with Faber Technique and Artistry book 2
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
Serge88 #2957865 03/17/20 04:27 AM
C
C
Earlofmar

I hope you gett better soon and that it nothing to serious

Take care

Using Faber Adult Piano Adventures AIO Book 1
Currently working on Unit 16
Also working with Faber Technique and Artistry book 2
Playing on a Rolands HP 505 Digital Piano
Serge88 #2957881 03/17/20 07:27 AM
M
M
Why not switch to online lessons???
Is this a good idea?

Serge88 #2957892 03/17/20 08:51 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Just had my lesson today. One more scheduled as normal (a bit to my surprise) then switching to Facetime or Skype,

Serge88 #2957912 03/17/20 09:42 AM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My son's lesson was by Zoom yesterday (he's 10, and just started in January). It was pretty effective.
That whole music school was shifting to Zoom from yesterday, and his is the first lesson of the day for the teacher so we were guinea pigs and I was pleased with how smoothly it went overall.

[Linked Image]
Serge88 #2957935 03/17/20 10:29 AM
S
S
For anyone that hasn’t seen it on the net somewhere, Zoom rather than Skype is the go to for video calls involving music these days.

Part of Microsoft’s trashing of Skype to turn it into a messaging app has included treating musical sounds as noise and heavily compressing them (supposedly to improve speech quality). So the music audio quality suffers. (You might be okay if you have the old desktop Skype still installed). Zoom doesn’t do this.

Facetime might be okay from this point of view. I have no information.

Serge88 #2957941 03/17/20 10:45 AM
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Chrispy, The video you posted is informative but is geared towards teachers and students who will be using online lessons regularly. I do not own an IPad tripod holder and not planning to buy one for the few online lessons.

Can someone please explain where to set up the IPad without the need for additional equipment?

Serge88 #2958089 03/17/20 06:39 PM
S
S
Hugh suggests in the video that the ipad could be put on a bookcase shelf or a tall table placed to the side of the piano. He emphasises the need to get the camera significantly above the keys.

We bought a new fridge recently and still have the cardboard box it came in. I will be doing a bit of craft work with a knife and glue to cut it down to a suitable height to stand my tablet on. A bit ugly but only temporary for half an hour a week until things get back to normal.

PianogrlNW #2958090 03/17/20 06:40 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
Chrispy, The video you posted is informative but is geared towards teachers and students who will be using online lessons regularly. I do not own an IPad tripod holder and not planning to buy one for the few online lessons.

Can someone please explain where to set up the IPad without the need for additional equipment?

I was just going to put it on a big empty box or a chair or stool...nothing fancy, whatever is at the right height and available. Maybe prop it up with a few books if not high enough.

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 03/17/20 06:43 PM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Serge88 #2958146 03/17/20 09:52 PM
My teacher cancelled lessons this week. I have some virus thingy making me miserable so I was happy with the cancellation. Not certain when lessons will resume as the building where we have lessons is on lock down.

At home avoiding the virus.
Serge88 #2958156 03/17/20 10:05 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by Serge88
OK I got it but this also apply to public places like malls, public transport, grocery stores.

Which why people are buying out stores of hand sanitizer and sanitizer wipes and disposable gloves.

As to the original topic I take Skype lessons so I'm not cancelling. Since a lot of musicians are out of work with the bars, clubs, and concerts being canceled many are doing Skype lessons to bring in some money. I there's a musician you've always wanted a lesson with or to just talk to for an hour good time to hit them up for a lesson. Be a win-win for both of you.

Last edited by MrShed; 03/17/20 10:05 PM.
Serge88 #2958250 03/18/20 07:25 AM
My piano teacher continues the lessons online, great!

Carpe Diem!
Yamaha CLP685PE
Serge88 #2958267 03/18/20 08:55 AM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
My teached offered to switch to online lessons.

But we're currently working on tension issues which IMHO requires physical contact to point out the problem spots at the moment they occur.

During the lessons, the situation is quite controlled, just you , the teacher and the piano. If you don't touch your face during the lesson and wash your hands before and after, it should be ok assuming both are healthy.

I agree the teacher is possibly a hub Keeping a big distance from each other seems no option... So I specifically asked to cancel immediately at any sign of symptoms.

My biggest concern is the travel by public transport, not only being exposed to many people, but also transport may be interrupted or be unreliable.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
wouter79 #2958274 03/18/20 09:20 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
My teached offered to switch to online lessons.

But we're currently working on tension issues which IMHO requires physical contact to point out the problem spots at the moment they occur.

I've been able to work successfully through ZOOM on tension issues with students. It can be done if the camera angles are adjusted. No, I cannot adjust a student's hand/arm/body position with physical touch that way, but I can, and have, successfully modeled those things on camera.

During the lessons, the situation is quite controlled, just you , the teacher and the piano. If you don't touch your face during the lesson and wash your hands before and after, it should be ok assuming both are healthy.

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make, nor a risk I can afford to take. I'm healthy enough, but as a cancer survivor (7 years cancer free now), I am somewhat immuno-compromised from the effects of radiation used in the cure. You may be carrying COVID-19 even if you are asymptomatic. In the absence of adequate testing, we just don't know. My opinion: err on the side of caution.

I agree the teacher is possibly a hub Keeping a big distance from each other seems no option... So I specifically asked to cancel immediately at any sign of symptoms.

Already commented on the danger of being an asymptomatic carrier.

My biggest concern is the travel by public transport, not only being exposed to many people, but also transport may be interrupted or be unreliable.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
JimF #2958473 03/18/20 07:30 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JimF
My teacher cancelled in-studio lessons as of today. She's going to skype or facetime. I've done skype lessons before and really have no interest in learning that way, but she will continue to be paid our regular monthly amount regardless. Remember folks, if you can afford it, a broke piano teacher does you no good. This too will pass.

For now...I am going to virtual lesson too: it will the first time. I agree, I am supporting My teacher as many of his gigs were cancelled. Whilst I love to cook during the week: hub and I are ordering to support our local fav restaurants a few nights a week. Getting through this together.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New CSP 170 USer! Acquiring Music & Drills?
by Clavinova170 - 07/02/20 03:02 PM
Why is a 61 note keyboard C to C?
by Ian J - 07/02/20 03:00 PM
Recommendations for a digital piano
by Pianoplayer7008 - 07/02/20 02:21 PM
Recording myself playing
by Ehudhoc - 07/02/20 01:28 PM
Music School Graduates
by samwitdangol - 07/02/20 12:45 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,983
Posts2,975,971
Members97,627
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission