2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, AndyOnThePiano2, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 11 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I don't think the sound of an acoustic piano will change in 300 years. In the same way I don't think an acoustic classic guitar or violin sound will be different. They are mature instruments, so the manufacturers are not interested in changing their typical sound timbre they worked so hard to find and refine. In the past centuries it was different, because the piano was a completely new and revolutionary keyboard instrument, evolution of the harpsichord.
So, in 300 years we could have a completely new keyboard instrument, successor of the piano, but it would not be a "piano" anymore. The piano is what we have now in the same way an harpsichord was and "is" an harpsichord and not a piano.
But, personally, I think it's very unlikely there will be an "acoustic successor/evolution" of the grand piano (I mean, a mechanical instrument, not digital) as the piano was for the harpsichord. Maybe in 300 years all the acoustic instruments will disappear, replaced by digital things.

G
G
i see DP as a cheaper alternative, a simulation, to have at home or with reduced space. I picked a DP that tries to sound like a $250.000 piano rather than a cheap sounding upright piano that needed maintenance.

My piano history in about 15 months: Artesia PA88w -> Yamaha P45 -> Kawai CN 24 -> Kawai CN 37 -> Kawai CA 78
Done with: Clair de Lune - Debussy, Waltz Op. 64 no. 2 - Chopin. Looking for a new piece, kind of learning The Mandalorian theme, and practicing with Etude Op.10 no.1 - Chopin.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GNkyrios
i see DP as a cheaper alternative, a simulation, to have at home or with reduced space. I picked a DP that tries to sound like a $250.000 piano rather than a cheap sounding upright piano that needed maintenance.

You look around, you'll find a perfectly serviceable pre-loved piano for $250; might even get a grand for little more than that.
Sand it down, tweak it a bit, and . . .happy days!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Ragtime2k

I tried LOTS of them, all brands and price ranges: it'll NEVER be the real thing, both under your hands and in your ears, your brain, your heart, your creativity...

Actions are a nearly-solved problem. Today's digital actions are quite nice, and those who still don't tolerate them have hybrid digitals as a no-compromise option. Output is really where it's lacking, and no foreseeable way to bridge the gap. No matter how many, how big, or what type of speakers you use, I've never sat down at a digital and thought "Wow, it feels/sounds like I'm playing a a real acoustic piano." I just don't think the air moves the same way.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A bit of a different angle.....

My RD-2000 is better than an acoustic... and I am not talking about the electronic stuff.

Feel: it feels better than an acoustic
Sound: It sounds better than an acoustic

Wha?!?!?

Yea, grind on this factoid (hey I made it up)... 95% of all the acoustic pianos ever made suck. They just suck. And... they are almost never in good tune. Remember those awful "mall pianos"? I played a Schroeder growing up... it sucked. I never knew it did. I never played on a good one for any length of time. My teacher, The Nun, had a Steinway.. small grand... but I was just a kid. I didn't really understand until I went to college. Even today, I don't have much opportunity to play a really good acoustic. So.... for me....

My RD-2000 sounds and plays better than 99% of my total playing time on acoustics.

Think of it this way: Modern digital pianos really raised the bar and just turned 95% of acoustic pianos into junk.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 03/16/20 04:57 PM.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Wow, that's a strange viewpoint. Yes, an acoustic piano can go out of tune. And a neglected piano (tuned or not tuned) can be crappy.

But any decent acoustic piano beats any digital ... by a country mile. There's so much missing from the digital.

I don't know much about the RD-2000 ... but until I tried a Novus with its grand action, I never found a digital piano that felt anywhere near as good as a grand. Not even close.

I won't quibble with your your experiences or opinions ... but this all seems quite strange.

R
R
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Maybe in 300 years all the acoustic instruments will disappear, replaced by digital things.
I doubt it. Nothing digital will ever take the place of, for example, drawing a real bow across real strings and producing this powerful singing tone with nothing but that bow, strings and a wooden box. And feeling that music vibrate through you.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

My RD-2000 is better than an acoustic... and I am not talking about the electronic stuff.

Wha?!?!?

Yea, grind on this factoid (hey I made it up)... 95% of all the acoustic pianos ever made suck. They just suck. And... they are almost never in good tune. Remember those awful "mall pianos"? I played a Schroeder growing up... it sucked. I never knew it did. I never played on a good one for any length of time. My teacher, The Nun, had a Steinway.. small grand... but I was just a kid. I didn't really understand until I went to college. Even today, I don't have much opportunity to play a really good acoustic. So.... for me....

My RD-2000 sounds and plays better than 99% of my total playing time on acoustics.

Think of it this way: Modern digital pianos really raised the bar and just turned 95% of acoustic pianos into junk.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

There are times I visit this sub-forum just to get a good laugh from one of the feistier peasants. You guys never disappoint! 😆

I kid! I kid!

Last edited by Jethro; 03/16/20 07:00 PM.
R
R
Originally Posted by MusicalDudeist
Then again, I remember when photographers were saying that digital cameras would never replace film cameras. Reality had other ideas.
I would say though that when it comes to photography at an artistic level, digital still can't beat a roll of film and a darkroom. Digital is great and convenient for getting pics of the kids at Disney World etc.

I'm sceptical, too. But ... never say never! You just don't know what lies ahead.
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Maybe in 300 years all the acoustic instruments will disappear, replaced by digital things.
I doubt it. Nothing digital will ever take the place of, for example, drawing a real bow across real strings and producing this powerful singing tone with nothing but that bow, strings and a wooden box. And feeling that music vibrate through you.
Would anyone in the 18th century have predicted flight, space travel, telecommuting, genetic engineering ... or anything else that has been discovered in the last 300 years?

R
R
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Would anyone in the 18th century have predicted flight, space travel, telecommuting, genetic engineering ... or anything else that has been discovered in the last 300 years?
No, but some things though just can't be improved upon that much. Getting from point A to point B, yeah. Time required for communication, ditto. Actually making music, I don't think so. It'd be like digitally-enhanced shower-singing.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
They haven’t even recreated the real keyboard action in any other way than using an entire real grand piano action. And this is easier than recreating the sound. So, no big hopes of anything improving soon. Digital pianos are good. But no more than that.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
The key item was "300 years". Things thought impossible will exist. Things not even dreamed of will exist.

But ... I can't wait for 300 years. I'll just go buy a Novus and be done with it. It'll be plenty good enough.

It's always like this. People now can't imagine what things will be in the future. People now have attachments to what they know and don't want to give them up. That's cool. smile

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O

Wha?!?!?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Your experience and opinions are what they are, but I humbly disagree. If any grand acoustic piano is in reasonable tune and has been decently maintained, it sound will run circles around even the top-end hybrid digital pianos.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by Ragtime2k

I tried LOTS of them, all brands and price ranges: it'll NEVER be the real thing, both under your hands and in your ears, your brain, your heart, your creativity...

Actions are a nearly-solved problem. Today's digital actions are quite nice, and those who still don't tolerate them have hybrid digitals as a no-compromise option. Output is really where it's lacking, and no foreseeable way to bridge the gap. No matter how many, how big, or what type of speakers you use, I've never sat down at a digital and thought "Wow, it feels/sounds like I'm playing a a real acoustic piano." I just don't think the air moves the same way.

+1. Sound system is where the DPs truly lack.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rmns2bseen
Then again, I remember when photographers were saying that digital cameras would never replace film cameras. Reality had other ideas.
I would say though that when it comes to photography at an artistic level, digital still can't beat a roll of film and a darkroom. Digital is great and convenient for getting pics of the kids at Disney World etc.

I would disagree, but I've shot better digital cameras than one you would see of "getting pics of kids at Disney World". But hey, to each his own viewpoint.

Nord Grand, Yamaha YDP-184, Nord Wave 2,
StudioLogic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX,
EWPianos QL, Noire/AK/Gentleman/Grandeur/Maverick,
Piano V2, Serum, TE OP-1.
R
R
It's always like this. People now can't imagine what things will be in the future. People now have attachments to what they know and don't want to give them up. That's cool.
Each and every one of us is "clinging" to it. We're not talking about a whole new instrument with its own techniques and tonal characteristics. Most if not all of the debates and discussions here are how close this or that DP comes to being like "the real thing"...that is, the low tech hammers on strings. That's the standard. The improvements on the acoustic are really marginal: more portable, able to use headphones etc.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

[...]

IMHO the current Roland V-Piano technology used in the RD-2000 (and I think in the top-models of the cabinet series too) is still not enough to get a good piano sound. To me, the previous SuperNatural technology (much more similar to traditional sample-based engines of Kawai, Casio and Yamaha) gives much more realistic results. You can hear this in the following video where the user compares the new modeled piano sound timbre with an old piano patch of the RD-700GX (a Roland DP from 2008). I think the old piano patch sounds better. More warm, more natural, more detailed, less boomy.

Starting from:
0:44, 2:52, 3:17 - new modeled piano patch
1:57, 3:03, 3:25 - old sampled piano patch

But I respect and praise Roland for taking the risk of researching and developing a new piano modeling technology (and allow the user to choose the old piano engine too, if he/she doesn't like the new) where most of the other manufacturers still are in the "short attack samples + boring looped parts" world, when with the current technology (and for "current" I mean with standard technology from 5-6 years ago) we could easily have so much more.

There is so much room to improve.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Well, the RD-2000 doesn't play and sound like an acoustic piano at all. It doesn't play like one because of its digital action. And it doesn't sound like one, because it sounds like a Roland SuperNatural Modeling Piano and this is how Roland wants it to sound like.

I think your standard for "acoustic piano" simply doesn't exist in reality as an acoustic grand piano, regardless of how well built and maintained it is. Just like a $100,000 concert guitar still will never play and sound like a Fender Stratocaster.

So when we use comparative terms like "better" or "worse", we measure towards a certain goal. For a traditional digital piano this goal is replicating the acoustic piano experience. Stage pianos like the RD-2000 are not made with that goal.

Yamaha P-515
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission