2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
69 members (Blague, Beowulf, Bruce In Philly, Boboulus, BadDude, BeeZee4, BenM, accordeur, 12 invisible), 550 guests, and 488 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
NAMM 2020 and illness.....
#2957406 03/15/20 03:31 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
After about three days at NAMM this year I started to fall ill, first of all with with an incredible dryness all over my mouth and nose, then a dry cough, and a burning sensation in my nose and upper chest. Not two days after I got home I was hit by a really bad fever which lasted two days and I managed with paracetamol (can't remember what y'all call it here but tylenol basically), and then a few days after that I got what I thought was a chest infection that then turned to pneumonia. I was ill for over three weeks.

I'm not saying that it was Covid-19, and I presumed I had the flu or just a really bad cold. I didn't leave my apartment for 10 days, and I kept myself hydrated. I did meet with some people but I didn't touch them, if I needed to cough I coughed into a tissue or my sleeve and washed my hands immediately, and I didn't spread anything around.

I'm fully recovered now, and at that time there was no testing available in Alabama. I see that So-Cal is considered a hot-spot for this now, and there were lots of people at NAMM from all over the world, of course a huge number of people from China were there as well.

I know of quite a few other people at NAMM who fell sick, and I also know that for some people, year on year getting sick after NAMM is normal.

I'm just putting it out there that the cancellation of large gatherings at this time is a positive thing, it will help prevent the spread of Covid-19 AND of course other viruses. At NAMM, it really could have been anything I picked up what with everyone playing all the pianos, and you just don't know who is and who isn't washing their hands. I remember thinking at the time that some of the pianos felt quite a bit dirty under the hands and I wanted to wash my hands every five minutes but it wasn't possible.

I hope all is well with everyone out there on the forum and that if you do fall sick, it's no worse than what I had and you recover fully.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: NAMM 2020 and illness.....
Joseph Fleetwood #2957411 03/15/20 03:56 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Joe:

This is simply incredible. When I think that we might have lost you !
Thank God for your recovery.

Karl

Joseph Fleetwood #2957412 03/15/20 04:00 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Karl,

As I said I don't know if it was COVID-19, I know that others have been advised it might have been but there was no way to test.

I'm quite well versed in the art of recovering from Bronchitis these days and originally that's what I thought it was, but as reports of Coronavirus grew, and the realisation that there were so many people from China at that NAMM show, I really wouldn't be surprised if that's what I had. I'm still not 100 percent but anything I'm feeling now is just post-viral fatigue from the immune system working overtime, I'm not symptomatic with any disease right now thank God.

Joseph Fleetwood #2957415 03/15/20 04:11 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
...and I spent half the show with Joe80 and was completely fine afterward!
My other half, not so much.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Joseph Fleetwood #2957420 03/15/20 04:20 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Of course I spent some time with Joe at NAMM (not nearly enough) and I had the exact same experience. I personally do not think it was COVID-19. I think I did too much, pushed too much, and wound up with a compromised immune system and a bad bug.

But..... who knows? There is conjecture and people are guessing. I do not know of anyone besides my wife that got sick because of me.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Joseph Fleetwood #2957422 03/15/20 04:24 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Fever is the 'bright line' that distinguishes what we would call "just a cold" from an influenza, in a normal flu season. If you have fever--- and not just a little puny one--- you know you have the flu. Not that a bad cold is so enjoyable!

I'm really sorry you became so ill, and I'm glad to know you've gotten better. I agree with what you said about being kind of ill for quite a while; it takes me months to really get over a bad flu. That is the big reason I get the flu shot, as soon as they come out, every year without fail.

Really, there's a bunch of these things out there, not a single 'cold,' or 'flu.' And, different kinds can have very different characteristics, including who gets sick. Most years, it's the elderly and the very young who have the worst illnesses and the most fatal outcomes, but the 1918 flu attacked the young adult population, killing many thousands within a few days of onset, while sparing the old.

Funny you should mention dirty-feeling keyboards. I auditioned to play a piano donated to the Kaiser Hospital by a now-deceased Board member: a 7-foot Boston. A fair number of volunteer pianists come in regularly to play it, some of them very good--- retired pro's--- and amazing. The keys seemed greasy and unpleasant to me, but figuring out the acoustic space and the kind of weird-feeling action (the player-piano unit has done it no favors) took up more of my attention. The piano was very loud, everywhere except at the player's position.

What do you know; in a few days I came down with one of those bugs that I seldom get, because I put a lot of effort into avoiding them. No fever to speak of; I was lucky. I returned to my own piano grateful for its wonderful touch and clean keys. And you can believe I have paid attention to what the public health officials are saying about not spreading it around, and not getting it. The idea of hospitals running out of space, personnel, even ventilators! Horrifying. Very far in excess of the inconvenience of the normal winter bugs, and that's leaving the economic situation out of the picture. If hospitals' capacity is overtopped, facilities for management of those who have died will also be very hard pressed.

Far better to stop trouble before it gets started, which is something each of us can contribute to, never mind what inconvenience, small or great, that we'll all find in our path. In the long run, it is going to take a very great effort from all of us to meet all the different challenges that will face the great human family.

I don't know what else to say, except to wish all of you good luck, and good health.

Clef

Joseph Fleetwood #2957434 03/15/20 04:55 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
I knew I shouldn't have licked Rich Galassini's chopsticks as a social experiment.....

Joseph Fleetwood #2957436 03/15/20 04:59 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by joe80
I knew I shouldn't have licked Rich Galassini's chopsticks as a social experiment.....

.... and I probably shouldn't have spit into your kimchi when you left the table.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Philadelphia, King of Prussia, and Cherry Hill, NJ
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Visit our Online Store
Joseph Fleetwood #2957442 03/15/20 05:08 PM
J
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Now we'll never know who had it first!

Joseph Fleetwood #2957455 03/15/20 05:53 PM

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the report from the field. Glad everyone's recovering.

Rich and Joe, remind me not to ever dine out with you! Or at least not to leave the table before finishing. wink

My girls' schools have both gone "online," as has my own. One of my sections was already online, and fortunately the other class always has at least one online section, so there are already materials available. Ironically, it will drop my lecture time by 6 hours a week, lightening my load instead of increasing it.

I was supposed to attend a conference next week in Portugal, but it's been postponed. I'm both disappointed and relieved...

“Sometimes I can only groan, and suffer,
and pour out my despair at the piano.”

-Frederic Chopin
Joseph Fleetwood #2957457 03/15/20 05:57 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you for sharing!

I am glad you and Rich are well again.It sound that there very
well could have been a few there who had the virus.
Scary thought !

Last edited by Lady Bird; 03/15/20 05:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Retsacnal #2957466 03/15/20 06:34 PM
L
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Thanks for the report from the field. Glad everyone's recovering.

Rich and Joe, remind me not to ever dine out with you! Or at least not to leave the table before finishing. wink

My girls' schools have both gone "online," as has my own. One of my sections was already online, and fortunately the other class always has at least one online section, so there are already materials available. Ironically, it will drop my lecture time by 6 hours a week, lightening my load instead of increasing it.

I was supposed to attend a conference next week in Portugal, but it's been postponed. I'm both disappointed and relieved...

I'm relieved ! You mentioned this once before (about going to Portugal ) But I can imagine your
disappointment. Probably best though !

Joseph Fleetwood #2957492 03/15/20 08:08 PM
Sorry you got sick at NAMM, Joe, but I'm glad you recovered and are much better. You could have had a bad case of the flu, or you could have had CV-19. Only way to know for sure is having the test.

My Dr. told me that a cold, even a bad one, only last a few days or maybe a week, and you don't run a fever. He said If you have a fever, it is more of a flu-like virus.

But you are young, strong and healthy.

I attended a Piano Buddies recital/party in Senoia this afternoon, and all the attendees discussed whether or not to have it due to the CV thing. But we decided to have it, and there were about 15 or 20 people there. The host had disinfectant at the door, and disinfected the keyboard on her piano after each person played, including her. We greeted each other by touching elbows, or feet, with shoes on (that one was a new one on me). smile

Regarding CV, I hope things will get better and life back to normal sooner rather than later. And, I hope those who contract the virus will recover, and many have.

I think I've washed my hands more often in the last few weeks than I ever have. Now, it (washing hands) is more of a way of life...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Joseph Fleetwood #2957500 03/15/20 08:50 PM
j&j Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As I’ve been told, NAMM, like any gigantic tech show, is a hotbed of cold and flu germ. There is such a thing as NAMM fever. Standing in line for food trucks is a great way to get sick. I hope you, Joe, and Rich only had a regular NAMM bug rather than corona virus. Thank heavens you’re both recuperated.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
I save far better than I play!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Action: Yamaha P-515 vs. Kawai VPC1
by SamG - 05/28/20 02:49 PM
Some interesting opportunities
by BDB - 05/28/20 02:30 PM
New-ish rental Y b2
by Maestro Lennie - 05/28/20 02:17 PM
Mozart sonatas - Barenreiter vs. Wiener
by skern49 - 05/28/20 01:52 PM
Native Instruments 50% off upgrades and updates
by newer player - 05/28/20 01:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,238
Posts2,963,205
Members97,214
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission