2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Serge88 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
My teacher asked me if I still want to come for my piano lesson. Of course why ? Because of the Coronavirus outbreak, parents are cancelling their children's piano lessons. Maybe there is something I didn't understand about the disease.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Serge88
My teacher asked me if I still want to come for my piano lesson. Of course why ? Because of the Coronavirus outbreak, parents are cancelling their children's piano lessons. Maybe there is something I didn't understand about the disease.

Well, if you understand that the virus can live on hard surfaces for extended periods of time, and if you take into account the potential number of hands that will touch your teacher's piano in a day, and if the keyboard is not thoroughlyt sanitized after every student plays, then you may have reason to consider what others have been doing: i.e., cancelling lessons.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Serge88 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OK I got it but this also apply to public places like malls, public transport, grocery stores.

Originally Posted by BruceD

Well, if you understand that the virus can live on hard surfaces for extended periods of time, and if you take into account the potential number of hands that will touch your teacher's piano in a day, and if the keyboard is not thoroughlyt sanitized after every student plays, then you may have reason to consider what others have been doing: i.e., cancelling lessons.

Regards,

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have asked if the piano can be sanitized before I play. I am his first student of the day. I also take a class at a school. It is early in the morning and is the first class of the day. They have said they are going to sanitize all the pianos before every class and lesson. However there are 7 of us in the class and one lady goes to NYC often so I am more hesitant about that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Why not just bring sanitizing wipes with you and do it yourself? I'm sure I wouldn't protest someone cleaning my piano keys if I was a teacher, though I'd be cleaning it after every student, whom I'd also expect to use hand sanitizer before even entering my home.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My teacher is offering Zoom lessons for those that would prefer it.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He actually teaches on his mother’s grand piano so I asked him to ask her. I am not sure what is safe to use on the keys and I would not just do it without asking.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Maybe there is something I didn't understand about the disease.

You could catch it and give it to someone who then dies.

E
E
I haven't heard from my teacher, but I think we're going to do Zoom lessons. We do Zoom lessons when there's bad weather, too. Everything in my city is shutting down, plus my daughter takes lessons too and she's had a cough for over a week. I think we're just going to hang out at home for a while.

S
S

I Cancelled my lesson on Friday, because my teacher's mother is elderly and unwell, and I did not want to expose her to any virus. I think now we will be in lockdown from monday, so I guess all classes should be cancelled for at least two weeks.

Serge88 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
The piano keys might be sanitized but what about the door we used to get in and all the place we touch with our hands. The best advice is to wash our hands before and after our piano lessons.

- Robert Schumann

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I plan to cancel my lesson for this coming week, but I am waiting to see if the community college where I take lessons shuts down (it hasn't yet). The week after that is spring break. After that??? Two weeks is an eternity under the current circumstances.

My teacher probably poses the greatest danger to me. She's a "hub," not just with contact with students at the college, but with her numerous commitments and interactions within the region. I'm also in the age group that is at greatest risk of poor outcomes, should they become ill. So I think I'll take a few weeks off and see how things look then.

Meanwhile--practice, practice, practice.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The piano keys might be sanitized but what about the door we used to get in and all the place we touch with our hands. The best advice is to wash our hands before and after our piano lessons.

Yes, exactly. Sanitizer your hands before even touching the entryway doorknob.
Keeping hand sanitizer in your car, purse, pocket is simple. I have everyone doing this for my home, and I also do it when entering another person's home.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I always wash before and after my lesson anyway.

I cancelled twice in February, once for the flu and once for an icky GI thing.

Learner
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
This was the next video youtube gave me. It is just wonderful.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I wash my hands before and after piano lessons, but there are so many other surfaces I touch during my lesson. Then there's my teacher sitting down and demonstrating something for me, which leads to all the surfaces she's touched. And I touch my face. I try not to, but it will take more than a couple of weeks to get rid of that habit. I'm constantly pushing my hair back, adjusting my eyeglasses, and then there's all the unconscious fiddling we do before we're even aware of it.

As for using sanitizer wipes on the keyboard, see the cleaning the keyboard thread in the Piano Forum. It's not a simple problem.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
my area is yet to confirm any cases of the virus, but a lot can happen in a few days, My teacher and her husband are in their 70's and I would hate for anything to happen to them.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
T
All schools, universities, kindergartens and shops (excluding food shops and pharmacy) are currently closed in my country, the government closed the borders and it looks like they will stay closed for another month at least... Of course my teacher (as well as all the other teachers in this area) canceled all planned lessons and we will see how the whole situation unfolds.

Last edited by Tom97; 03/14/20 06:25 PM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Don't have a choice here. March Break is around the corner and the local conservatory where my lessons are held decided to close the building for 2 extra weeks. Just have to practice at home.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission