2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, 8 invisible), 1,230 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13
Yes they do! I enjoy them and they are useful as the music becomes more complex. The Debussy Arabesque I’m working in has a lot of arpeggios. So does the Canon in D. And you can mix and match them in a pattern of differing knee to make them more fun.

Personally I prefer to use my fingers than my knees, but each to their own grin
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies, everyone smile

It seems there's some hope for me - the consensus seems to be that there's a whole world of arpeggio fun/satisfaction to be had once I'm through the rather dry essentials.

I'll start practising them again with renewed vigour!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What may make arpeggios, arpeggio practice, or working on any technical problem enjoyable is if one's execution is improving. So the important thing is not just to repeat them over and over hoping for improvement but to have a clear understanding of how to do them correctly, what one may be doing incorrectly, and what specific exercises might help them improve. This is where having an excellent teacher is so helpful. Or in the internet age find a good video dealing with the particular technical issue.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Cross referencing from the Debussy thread

In Arabesque in E maj, M89-M94

Those arpeggios near the end are so much fun! I have practiced them in several ways, including playing them straight and blocking them to make them more secure in my brain. I also worked out what each chord is.

There is so much to learn here.

That is what the arpeggios are all about. Increasing comfort so when you get to the more serious music, they become natural. The fingers just move to position flawlessly, or with little practice.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

That is what the arpeggios are all about. Increasing comfort so when you get to the more serious music, they become natural. The fingers just move to position flawlessly, or with little practice.

Exactly. I don't play any technical for enjoyment (though I certainly don't dislike playing anything). I play so that I can learn, so I can progress. That's really the whole point.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
W
W
I’m playing arpeggios and scales over three octaves- I quite enjoy it and feel like my technique is improving especially since I moved from two to three octaves

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Scales and arpeggios are enjoyable, useful, comforting and challenging at the same time.

Enjoyable - whichever way you practise them, think of them as melody
Useful - for warming up and developing new skills or refining exisiting ones
Comforting - during though times learning a piece, it's comforting to return to them. It's something very familiar. It feels like home.
Challenging - they are very difficult if you aim to play them at high level, e.g. very fast, very smooth, and buttery-like.

From a technical viewpoint, arpeggios is very much like scales, just larger intervals and less notes. I'd say you'll find all kinds of arpeggios more often than scales in classical music.

Learn to love it, because you'll need it. Good luck!

Be yourself

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah that bach prelude is pretty much all arpeggios. I'd love to be able to play it. Will get round to it one day.

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
My blog:
https://mymusictree.blogspot.com/

Currently on Barratt Classic Piano Course book 1
Casio AP450

My Facebook Piano Group
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
For non-classical players, improvising their own arrangements, the ability to throw arpeggios in at will can be very satisfying. Practicing them, not so much.

J
J
I had no idea this was a common thought. I play arpeggios all the time. I love them.

They seem so easy to understand and applicable in so many ways.

I haven't played piano very long, but I've played them from the start.

I use them a lot when playing from lead sheets.

W
W
Originally Posted by Jack Moody
I had no idea this was a common thought. I play arpeggios all the time. I love them.

They seem so easy to understand and applicable in so many ways.

I haven't played piano very long, but I've played them from the start.

I use them a lot when playing from lead sheets.

Ditto Jack

T
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
The last thing I want is to turn any piano technique into an exercise. Playing songs that require certain techniques you can experiment different ways to get the best sound. I have a Hanon book at home. My piano teacher says do 1 exercise a day. The pieces require you to play the same notes with both hands an octave apart going up 4 octaves and back down 4 octaves. Playing too many of these gets boring.

I find playing arpeggios easier than block chords you'd play all 3 or 4 notes. It takes some practice to be able to play at sync. With arpeggios at least I can think ahead for the next note.

Even some Classical pieces people would play chords as rapid succession of notes in ascending or descending sequence.

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

By themselves, I would say no. In the context of a piece you enjoy though, a resounding yes.

Originally Posted by bill_k34

Is there a point when they become fast and fluid enough that they're actually enjoyable?

The bigger objective, to me is the enjoyment of playing. As such, I've never been big on extracting and drilling things and have rejected exercises as I've never much enjoyed them. Give me a piece I like with an arpeggio in it though and I'll gladly tear it apart.
Over time and with enough playing everything comes up to speed more or less together anyway.

It's not a race and simply playing for enjoyment has served me well for a long time now. If you have a more pressing requirement (though I can't imagine what it would be), then perhaps you like to have everything at hand in case you ever need it. But another approach may be, to learn things as you need them.

Originally Posted by Greener

By themselves, I would say no. In the context of a piece you enjoy though, a resounding yes.

The bigger objective, to me is the enjoyment of playing. As such, I've never been big on extracting and drilling things and have rejected exercises as I've never much enjoyed them. Give me a piece I like with an arpeggio in it though and I'll gladly tear it apart.
The point of practicing arpeggios or scales separately is the they are so common that it is worth it to practice them separately so one doesn't have to practice them when they occur. Remember, one doesn't need to have a full scale or lengthy arpeggio to use one of the main things learned in scale or arpeggio practice, namely passing the thumb under the fingers or fingers over the thumb.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 03/15/20 09:42 AM.
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Perhaps, but if you're in it for enjoyment and there is an aspect you don't enjoy, why endure it? You're still going to develop these skills as it is required of the material.

I understand why people do it, just not why they feel they must.

J
J
Perhaps, but if you're in it for enjoyment and there is an aspect you don't enjoy, why endure it? You're still going to develop these skills as it is required of the material.

I understand why people do it, just not why they feel they must.

Different people approach things differently. I think the most important part of learning piano is that you keep playing. Sounds basic, but it comes down to motivation.

If exercises make you not want to play, then maybe they aren't best for you. The fastest road isn't always the best and learning a new instrument takes time.

I like to move around and concentrate different aspects of playing, at different times. This keeps it interesting for me.

I play for enjoyment too. Some people look at practice as paying dues to be happy later. I think that's why most people stop playing before they become proficient on an instrument. I have beat myself endlessly to accomplish things on other instruments, but I'm done with that frustration.

OP Offline

I think we're of a similar mind. The dry textbook arpeggios with no pedal were killing me but - based on forum feedback - I just dug out an arp-heavy piece and really enjoyed it/them!

It was an arrangement of 'O mio babbino caro' BTW. Quite pleasant and not too much in the RH, perfect for the situation. I think I may have turned a corner - thanks, everyone!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission