2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
I installed a new pair of Mapes bass strings on my 1980 Yamaha G5 today. I originally broke one of the bass strings last fall when I was hoping to restore some life into them. So, at that time, I called Mapes and ordered a new set of strings for Bb2. Mapes had all the scale information based on my serial number. The strings seemed to fit perfect but wow, they sounded horrible! When I installed the strings, I used a light weight brass hammer and small aluminum punch and very lightly tapped the strings at the bridge and hitch pin right before bringing them up to pitch. After I heard how bad they sounded, I triple checked everything and went over the process again which resulted in the same sound. So, I carefully removed the Mapes strings then carefully reinstalled the original Yamaha string. Videos of both below. Is the Mapes sound typical of a replacement string? The frequency of the Mapes and original Yamaha string were the exact same frequency but the Mapes was around 1/2 or lower on the volume. They sounded completely dead.

With new Mapes string set on key Bb2

After reinstalling the original Yamaha string

Last edited by Piano World; 03/08/20 01:44 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did you give them a twist?

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
J
J
It sounds to me like they aren’t twisted (although, granted, I wouldn’t expect them to sound quite so dead even untwisted).

T
OP Offline
T
I did give them 1 1/2 twists. However, this may be a complete noob issue on my part. I just took a look at the old broken string and the new Mapes. The copper was twisted in different directions between the Yamaha and Mapes. So, I very well could have been apply 1 1/2 twists in the wrong direction. Which we know would have loosened the copper on the core. I'm going to reinstall one of the Mapes and make sure it has twists in the right direction. Hopefully this was just a oversight on my part. I'll report back in a bit.

T
OP Offline
T
Okay, chalk this up to inexperience on my part. This was resolved by paying attention to the direction of the copper windings. I had no idea that bass strings could be wound in different directions.

I just reinstalled one of the Mapes strings, put 1 1/2 twists in the correct direction and it sounds a bit better than the original Yamaha string. I'll install the other Mapes string tomorrow and report back if there is any issues.

Thanks for the help.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If twisting in the correct direction alleviates the problem, you may want to change the subject of this thread, if possible. PW forum threads come back high on search results and it would be sort of crappy for a case of installer error resulting in a high, negative Google search result.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
J
J
Originally Posted by TurboMatt
This was resolved by paying attention to the direction of the copper windings ... I just reinstalled one of the Mapes strings, put 1 1/2 twists in the correct direction and it sounds a bit better than the original Yamaha string.

smile Glad you got it worked out and that you’re pleased with the sound. I suspect the sound will warm up at least a bit over the next weeks or months.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
If twisting in the correct direction alleviates the problem, you may want to change the subject of this thread, if possible. PW forum threads come back high on search results and it would be sort of crappy for a case of installer error resulting in a high, negative Google search result.

I looked at the first post and the edit option is not there. However, it may be helpful for someone attempting to install bass strings on their own. I would be happy to change the thread if an Admin can re-enable the option.

Originally Posted by jsilva

smile Glad you got it worked out and that you’re pleased with the sound. I suspect the sound will warm up at least a bit over the next weeks or months.

I plan to replace all of the bass strings at some point this year. This will be a good experiment to see how long it takes for the Mapes strings to change as I've only read about strings taking time to break in.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Matt,

Don't do ANY tapping anywhere except at the loop on the hitch pin to seat it on the plate. You should not tap anything until they have been at tension for quite some time. Bass strings will continue to "stretch" ĺactualky tighten at the loop mostly) for many months. THEN you might do some tapping...maybe.

Glad you got that one sorted out. Hope you can change the header.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by terminaldegree

I looked at the first post and the edit option is not there. However, it may be helpful for someone attempting to install bass strings on their own. I would be happy to change the thread if an Admin can re-enable the option.

Originally Posted by jsilva

I plan to replace all of the bass strings at some point this year. This will be a good experiment to see how long it takes for the Mapes strings to change as I've only read about strings taking time to break in.

To change the thread title, send a PM to the moderators

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
This is a useful thread.
Maybe change the title to "Replacement bass string sounds horrible."

Ed Sutton, RPT
Just an old retired piano tuner!
Durham NC USA
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by P W Grey
Matt,

Don't do ANY tapping anywhere except at the loop on the hitch pin to seat it on the plate. You should not tap anything until they have been at tension for quite some time. Bass strings will continue to "stretch" ĺactualky tighten at the loop mostly) for many months. THEN you might do some tapping...maybe.

Glad you got that one sorted out. Hope you can change the header.

Pwg

Thank you for clarifying the steps I went through. The tapping technique was something the tech who initially worked on my action told me to do. I'll be honest in that it kinda made me cringe when he told me about that!

Originally Posted by dogperson
[

To change the thread title, send a PM to the moderators

I'll see if I can figure out who one of the moderators is and send them a PM

Originally Posted by Ed Sutton
This is a useful thread.
Maybe change the title to "Replacement bass string sounds horrible."

I would agree with that title name.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
What is a normal twisting amount? I've always used 1 full twist for single wound bass strings, and 1/2 twist for double wound bass strings...in the direction of the winding, of course. The Arledge bass strings I've installed require no twists.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
What is a normal twisting amount? I've always used 1 full twist for single wound bass strings, and 1/2 twist for double wound bass strings...in the direction of the winding, of course. The Arledge bass strings I've installed require no twists.

I think it depends on who made the strings.
In the Hellerbass FAQs there is more than what I quote here.
https://www.hellerbass.eu/en/faq/

Do Hellerbass strings have to be turned ... and how many turns?

Yes, we recommend two full turns for the single wound bass strings… and a half turn for double wound bass strings. The copper rises to the left, so they must be turned to the right – i.e. clockwise. There are a few exceptions...

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I see (hear) 2 reasons for this sound only :
1 Basic reason. wrapped copper part of the string crawled out (a bridge) to hitch pin. hitch pin must be free.
2 It's defective string. Her copper part was bad fixed on the steel main string.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
1 Basic reason. wrapped copper part of the string crawled out (a bridge) to hitch pin. hitch pin must be free.
2 It's defective string. Her copper part was bad fixed on the steel main string.

If you read the entire thread, you will see this was resolved. I inadvertently put the twists in the wrong direction. The strings were reinstalled with 1 1/2 twists in the correct direction. I'll post a video in a week or so after the strings get settled in. I brought them up to pitch and within 5-6 hours they already went a bit flat. However, they sound correct now and not dead.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan

If you read the entire thread, you will see this was resolved. I inadvertently put the twists in the wrong direction. The strings were reinstalled with 1 1/2 twists in the correct direction. I'll post a video in a week or so after the strings get settled in. I brought them up to pitch and within 5-6 hours they already went a bit flat. However, they sound correct now and not dead.

sorry, I glad for you. good lucks,

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
TurboMatt Offline OP

Matt, if you look at the bottom of any post in a thread, you'll see the boxes labeled Reply, Quote, Report, and E-mail Post. Click the one that says "Report" and it gives you the pipeline to the Mod for this Forum. Too easy.

You could save some back-and-forth if you explain what the problem is, and suggest a different title. Mapes doesn't deserve the bad hit that Search engines that grab the title only will report. And BTW, if you did have a problem with them, or some other vendor, one of the first things I might do is report the problem and ask them for their guidance. After you try it out, that would be a good thing to mention in your thread.

This is not at all a dis on the suggestions our forum members have shared! I'm impressed once again.

Clef

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission