2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
But I'd estimate more than 99.9% of those taking lessons or practicing on their own don't enter amateur competitions, and I don't think their improvement is, in general, very flat.

If real amateur people do not take lesson, and just practice themselves, I bet the improvement will be close to flat, if not totally flat. The reason is that these people have no clue on how to improve themselves and do not have strong technical skill or musical knowledge to start with. I agree these people most likely do not enter amateur competition.

Now, the next level of real amateurs. Those who take lesson but do not possess the ability to play in front of people. From my 10 years observation, most people are not born to be able to perform in front of people. Most of them are scared to dead to play in front of people. Playing in a piano group is the most that they can handle. These people also do not improve, very little improvement.

The next level, real amateur people who are pretty talented and are able to play in front of people. This is the group who dare to enter amateur piano competition. But, most of the time, they will not even pass the first round. The best they can do is pass the first round. These people do not have enough technical skill and the performing skills of degree people or ex-prodigies.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Ken Iisaka
Originally Posted by coaster

and don't forget - if you are working 40+ hours a week at your job, that does not leave much time to practice, no matter what your training was. I am a bit envious of those who are retired!
I am also reminded that many "pro" pianists have a day job as well: teaching piano all day. They only get to practice between students or early in the morning.
Good point Ken. Those "pros" pretty much live and breathe piano. Certainly doesn't leave much time for anything else. I do remember what a challenge it was to teach students all day, and then try to get a second wind to practice my own stuff (for upcoming recitals) at night. It was actually easier working 50-60 hours a week in a government job and coming home to play the piano for pleasure. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am a bit envious of those who are retired!

Well it beats working 50-to-60-hour weeks, which was the norm for me, but honestly, you'd be surprised how little free time I have for practicing. I do pretty much all the household and kid-related stuff, shopping, bills, financial management, insurance claims, and I try to work out every day. The most I ever get to practice is about 2 hours or so. Usually it's 60-90 minutes or less, sometimes not at all. So yeah, certainly easier than when I was working full-time and only managed to touch a piano on weekends for a few minutes here and there. But even if I quit eating and stopped watching TV in the evening, I could still never find time enough to get anywhere close to Oleg's technical level. "Retirement" is not what I expected it to be!

If only I'd done more when I had the opportunity, though I think you already covered that issue pretty comprehensively!

SRF

Originally Posted by SiFi
Well it beats working 50-to-60-hour weeks, which was the norm for me, but honestly, you'd be surprised how little free time I have for practicing. I do pretty much all the household and kid-related stuff, shopping, bills, financial management, insurance claims, and I try to work out every day. The most I ever get to practice is about 2 hours or so. Usually it's 60-90 minutes or less, sometimes not at all. So yeah, certainly easier than when I was working full-time and only managed to touch a piano on weekends for a few minutes here and there. But even if I quit eating and stopped watching TV in the evening, I could still never find time enough to get anywhere close to Oleg's technical level. "Retirement" is not what I expected it to be!

If only I'd done more when I had the opportunity, though I think you already covered that issue pretty comprehensively!
I resemble that - all of it - except you're managing to get in lots more practice time. ha

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Originally Posted by Carey

I resemble that - all of it - except you're managing to get in lots more practice time. ha

I guess I'd like to clarify that I didn't think any retired person is spending all day at the piano. I just envy your ability to decide how to divide up your time. I can only compare it to my own experiences as a stay-at-home mother, a part-time working mother, and now a full-time working mother. I know just how much needs to be done to run a household... it's a never-ending job. However, I remember how I used to have flexibility with my time management back then. That's something that people employed full time don't have. At least 40 of our daylight hours are not in our control. My own personal example... I get up, get ready for work, and leave the house. I'm gone from 8-4 (at best) or, more commonly, 8-6:00+. When I come home, I immediately start dinner, and after dinner, there are all those things I have to get done that I used to be able to do throughout the daylight hours of the week. My husband was a big help taking those chores over for me in the past two years while I was working full time and competing at piano, at the expense of other things around the house that need his specific attention.

So, even though O.V. worked for a few years as a professional artist, he was then tied up in an ordinary job for many, many years. Perhaps he has entered the Cliburn because the level of playing has now gotten so high that he doesn't feel like he would be "beating up" on the other entrants (I forget how someone phrased it in a post way back, but it was something like that.)

It sounds like Ronald would like to exclude all ex-prodigies from these competitions. Remember that not all ex-prodigies have music degrees. Chris Shih has been brought up on this thread. He does not have a music degree. His undergraduate degree (from Harvard) was in Biochemistry. He took a year off from medical school to practice for the "real" Cliburn just to see what would happen if he entered. He didn't get out of the prelims and that was that. He went back to medical school. You can't call him professional, just for trying one competition.

Being able to play better than many professionals doesn't mean you are a professional. Chris Shih is an amateur, in every sense of the word.

People like him should not be excluded from amateur competition just because they are ex-prodigies. My younger sister's story is just like Chris Shih. In fact, they are the same age and competed against each other in their youth. We all studied with the same teacher in the D.C. area (Suzanne Guy). My sister graduated high school, went to Virginia Tech, majored in Civil Engineering, and has worked all her life in that field. However, as some might be relieved to hear, she (another ex-prodigy) has not touched the piano since college and has no interest in returning to piano competition at this point in her life.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
The idea of excluding former prodigies strikes me as petty. Some people have amazing talent, and it shows early on.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by johnstaf
The idea of excluding former prodigies strikes me as petty. Some people have amazing talent, and it shows early on.

I totally agree 👏🏻

So, even though O.V. worked for a few years as a professional artist, he was then tied up in an ordinary job for many, many years. Perhaps he has entered the Cliburn because the level of playing has now gotten so high that he doesn't feel like he would be "beating up" on the other entrants (I forget how someone phrased it in a post way back, but it was something like that.)

Coaster, that is not the impression I got from the Wiki article. It would appear that he has been involved in "professional" activities, either as a performer or teacher, the entire time. But then, I'm guessing you know something that I don't. smile Still, given the extent of his early professional performing activity, I'd hardly call the gentleman an amateur, even if he is a little rusty..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Volkov

Kudos to your husband for stepping up to help you pursue your dreams when you started competing again. Seems like a great partnership. thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Coaster, that is not the impression I got from the Wiki article. It would appear that he has been involved in "professional" activities, either as a performer or teacher, the entire time. But then, I'm guessing you know something that I don't. smile Still, given the extent of his early professional performing activity, I'd hardly call the gentleman an amateur, even if he is a little rusty..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Volkov

Kudos to your husband for stepping up to help you pursue your dreams when you started competing again. Seems like a great partnership. thumb

No, I don't know any more than what was in the article. I guess I'm trying to be positive and give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it's hard to know exactly where to draw the line. There are many different opinions on that matter.

aka Lady Arabesque
YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/hayburner1969

Coaster, that is not the impression I got from the Wiki article. It would appear that he has been involved in "professional" activities, either as a performer or teacher, the entire time. But then, I'm guessing you know something that I don't. smile Still, given the extent of his early professional performing activity, I'd hardly call the gentleman an amateur, even if he is a little rusty.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleg_Volkov
No, I don't know any more than what was in the article. I guess I'm trying to be positive and give him the benefit of the doubt. Besides, it's hard to know exactly where to draw the line. There are many different opinions on that matter.
I appreciate your positive attitude and agree this is a complicated.issue.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway

If real amateur people do not take lesson, and just practice themselves...

That's a very accurate description of me!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Sorry, you do not fall into this category. You are considered ex-prodigy. You had acquired the skill before you were an adult. But you are still amateur since you never studied music to make money.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I guess I'd like to clarify that I didn't think any retired person is spending all day at the piano. I just envy your ability to decide how to divide up your time. I can only compare it to my own experiences as a stay-at-home mother, a part-time working mother, and now a full-time working mother. I know just how much needs to be done to run a household... it's a never-ending job. However, I remember how I used to have flexibility with my time management back then. That's something that people employed full time don't have. At least 40 of our daylight hours are not in our control. My own personal example... I get up, get ready for work, and leave the house. I'm gone from 8-4 (at best) or, more commonly, 8-6:00+. When I come home, I immediately start dinner, and after dinner, there are all those things I have to get done that I used to be able to do throughout the daylight hours of the week. My husband was a big help taking those chores over for me in the past two years while I was working full time and competing at piano, at the expense of other things around the house that need his specific attention.

It sounds like Ronald would like to exclude all ex-prodigies from these competitions. Remember that not all ex-prodigies have music degrees. Chris Shih has been brought up on this thread. He does not have a music degree. His undergraduate degree (from Harvard) was in Biochemistry. He took a year off from medical school to practice for the "real" Cliburn just to see what would happen if he entered. He didn't get out of the prelims and that was that. He went back to medical school. You can't call him professional, just for trying one competition.

Being able to play better than many professionals doesn't mean you are a professional. Chris Shih is an amateur, in every sense of the word.

People like him should not be excluded from amateur competition just because they are ex-prodigies. My younger sister's story is just like Chris Shih. In fact, they are the same age and competed against each other in their youth. We all studied with the same teacher in the D.C. area (Suzanne Guy). My sister graduated high school, went to Virginia Tech, majored in Civil Engineering, and has worked all her life in that field. However, as some might be relieved to hear, she (another ex-prodigy) has not touched the piano since college and has no interest in returning to piano competition at this point in her life.

You misunderstood, ex-prodigies are fine, like Chris Shih, etc. They never went to get education as a professional. Once a person took the decision to study music for their career, that is it. The intention to make money from music was there, and was pursued seriously at one time. People like Chris Shih plays piano just for fun, even if he entered real VC, it was just for fun too.

Once a person took the decision to study music for their career, that is it. The intention to make money from music was there, and was pursued seriously at one time.
So if someone decides to pursue music seriously, gets accepted into a conservatory, takes lessons from an excellent professor for a few months, but flunks their first jury and is forced out of the program......are they still considered a professional? Seems to me, no matter how good their intentions, if they don't "have the goods" in the first place there's no way they can be considered anything but amateur. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Once a person took the decision to study music for their career, that is it. The intention to make money from music was there, and was pursued seriously at one time.
So if someone decides to pursue music seriously, gets accepted into a conservatory, takes lessons from an excellent professor for a few months, but flunks their first jury and is forced out of the program......are they still considered a professional? Seems to me, no matter how good their intentions, if they don't "have the goods" in the first place there's no way they can be considered anything but amateur. smile

People who get accepted into a conservatory and got an excellent professor must be of a good quality of pianist. Once, he or she crossed the line, that is it. I have a good friend who is like that, won concerto competition at his conservatory and quit after two years. He won or placed at several amateur competitions. I consider him also one of those people, he should not enter amateur competitions.

A line needs to be drawn, and education is the most fair one. Volkov is just the extreme example, he is the top of ex-professional. The worst of ex-professional (degree people) are still the same as good real amateurs or even better. Very few real amateurs can surpass degree people. There are some, but very unlikely.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
What about people who didn't attend a conservatory, but have a conservatory level diploma? Many people receive advanced training privately.

K
OP Offline
K

Sorry, you do not fall into this category. You are considered ex-prodigy. You had acquired the skill before you were an adult. But you are still amateur since you never studied music to make money.

Oh, you don't know how I played when I was young. I was certainly not a prodigy. I didn't practice much, and I still don't practice as much as I should. However, I did attend a summer at Aspen, just before I completed an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, and I found myself doing not too badly, even compared to some conservatory students.

However, I began really caring about music perhaps 15 years after I stopped taking lessons. A lot of life challenges brought me to a realization that there is salvation in music.

Last edited by Ken Iisaka; 03/16/20 05:57 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
POSTPONED! Until Spring 2022. Everyone accepted this year will have first right of refusal in 2022.

Definitely the right decision IMO.

SRF

POSTPONED! Until Spring 2022. Everyone accepted this year will have first right of refusal in 2022.

Definitely the right decision IMO.

Hopefully all will be right with the world by then.

A wise decision - which will give you and others a lot more time to prepare. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
...A wise decision - which will give you and others a lot more time to prepare. smile

Or to get better!
(Assuming we'll still be around.)

And also, BTW, maybe for them to re-think the eligibility a little. I was in touch with them (quietly, informally) about the concern. The person I spoke to hadn't been aware of the possible issue (genuinely) and was going to see about it among the organization, but of course it quickly became moot (for now).

And of course, there are more important hopes and needs right now and for a good while.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission