2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Naive Instruments will end support for some older VIs as at 31 May.

"This means that already installed and activated products can still be used without limitation, but it is no longer possible to reinstall or reactivate any of these products on a new computer."

Killed products include:

Akoustik Piano (before 1.1.0) (NI)
Kontakt 2 (NI)
Boesendorfer 290 (East West)
Colossus - incl Fazioli F308, Honky Tonk, Steinway B Grand Piano (East West)
Galaxy Steinway (Best Service)
Galaxy Steinway 5,1 (Best Service)
Virtual Grand Piano (Art Vista)

More details at
https://vi-control.net/community/th...scontinued-products-from-may-31st.90761/
https://support.native-instruments....e-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life

G
G
WTF, why would they retire Galaxy Steinway and not also the other two that were included in the Galaxy Pianos?
You can bet your ass I'll crack the libraries that I bought and can no longer activate. F them

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Removing support from something you've paid for, and could reasonably _want_ to move to a new computer -- that's a really nasty thing to do, IMHO.

It's beyond "We're no longer supporting ports to new version of the O/S".

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 03/10/20 12:52 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Thank god I don't use Native Instruments and now I know to never support them.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Thank god I only use Pianoteq! grin

S
S
Originally Posted by newer player
Naive Instruments will end support for some older VIs as at 31 May.

Sure, that is fair. Cant get updates forever.

Originally Posted by newer player

[...] it is no longer possible to reinstall or reactivate any of these products on a new computer."

Wut? So anyone who actually paid for those products simply, well, loses them if they need to be re-installed? Okay, in light of NI taking their products back after you paid for them, I have no issue with people taking NI products before paying for them.

Last edited by sleutelbos; 03/10/20 07:19 AM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
What about iLok? VI Labs use it, could the same kind of thing happen?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yes, this sucks. But for me the only product on the list that I own is Galaxy Steinway ... and I haven't used that for years.

More worrisome ... when will they discontinue support for Galaxy Vintage D, my best piano of all?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Remember the old days when a product was available with a master CD, that would work indefinitely! Anything that depends on the internet for activation can go away (i.e. fail to be re-installable) at any time. Meanwhile, people own hardware keyboards from decades ago that just keep chuggin' along...

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Bits don't wear out, which creates a problem for certain types of business model.

A paper book would wear out and fall apart after a certain number of reads; the grooves in a LP record would wear out after a certain number of plays. But a PDF or an ebook or a MP3 file can be read or played forever.

I guess it's the same thing with these virtual instruments -- if they've already sold you one how can they push you into buying it over again other than by using some sort of artificial restriction like copy protection to degrade or destroy it after a while?

My personal view is that if a company releases copy protected software and then decides not to continue to support it for whatever reason at that point they need to either remove the copy protection completely so existing customers can continue to use and back up the product that they have purchased or alternatively refund the money to everyone who bought that product since they are arbitrarily taking it away.

"I sold you this car five years ago but today I've decided that you can't use it any more so I put it in this crusher" would likely get you charged with theft and vandalism. This shouldn't be any different.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
All my software is on disk ... but mostly DVD or blooray, not CD.
Downloaded software first goes to disk, and later gets queued for the push to plasti-disk.
But it's becoming difficult with games and pianos that run into the many tens of GB. frown
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Remember the old days when a product was available with a master CD, that would work indefinitely! Anything that depends on the internet for activation can go away (i.e. fail to be re-installable) at any time. Meanwhile, people own hardware keyboards from decades ago that just keep chuggin' along...

You are so right ...
Originally Posted by FrankCox
My personal view is that if a company releases copy protected software and then decides not to continue to support it for whatever reason at that point they need to either remove the copy protection completely so existing customers can continue to use and back up the product that they have purchased or alternatively refund the money to everyone who bought that product since they are arbitrarily taking it away.

"I sold you this car five years ago but today I've decided that you can't use it any more so I put it in this crusher" would likely get you charged with theft and vandalism. This shouldn't be any different.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I pick up a lot of old electronics, refurbish them, and use them for specific tasks. Some recycled gear around my desk includes:

- 2005 Dell Axim PDA
- 2007 MacBook Pro
- 2011 iPhone 4s
- 1998 Altec computer speakers with bass module
- 1970s Yamaha B2 VFET amp
- 1970 Sansui FM tuner
- etc.

How far a trip is it from your native "Nation-State Policy Center" to Raleigh NC?
Because if it's not too far ... I have closets full of stuff you can come pick up ... for free. smile
My wife will even bake you cakes and cookies as a reward for hauling away her husband's decades' long accumulation of wonderful stuff (which she refers to as sh**). smile

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hehehe. We are not so close yet.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Removing support from something you've paid for, and could reasonably _want_ to move to a new computer -- that's a really nasty thing to do, IMHO.

It's beyond "We're no longer supporting ports to new version of the O/S".

Porting older products to newer operating systems and continuing to sell the ever growing back catalog is a good practice. Valve Software does this perfectly. You can get a working version of their successful 1998 debut software on your Windows 10 computer, on a current Mac and since the last decade on Linux (where the original program was never released). Of course, their stick is video entertainment software and not music production, but from a technical standpoint that doesn't really matter. Of course that still doesn't protect you from software companies going defunct, but it proves the concept.

Yamaha P-515
G
G
@JoeT
Yes, and as far as I can remember, they issued a statement that they would unlock their games and make them accessible to their customers in case they ever go out of business. Which is a cool statement. Didn't Modartt also make a similar statement about Pianoteq?

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Fortunately, Native Instruments is reevaluating the "end of life" policy
Originally Posted by "Matt_NI, post: 4522367, member: 24783"
Hey Everyone,

Matt here from NI.

I'm slowly trying to address everyone on all the platforms.We sincerely appreciate all the feedback about this and want to directly engage with you all about it.

As a result of everyone's feedback, we updated our end of life article with some additional information but also went back to discuss this internally. As you would be able to read at the bottom of the page, we will spend more time investigating this topic and look into possible workaround to address the end of life of our old activation mechanisms.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... 0006053397

I hope this helps clarify a few elements and happy to answer more on here directly
https://vi-control.net/community/th...from-may-31st.90761/page-15#post-4522367

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Good news from Native Instruments on older Kontakt products.
Originally Posted by "Matt_NI, post: 4544290, member: 24783"
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the little communication in the past days.

We have updated our announcement with more details on our progress: https://support.native-instruments....e-Center-and-Legacy-Products-End-of-Life

Just to give you a quick heads up, we are currently testing all the Kontakt OEM instruments at the moment so they can be activated using Native Access as soon as possible. So far all our tests were successful and so we are positive about the changes we made.

Regarding the applications, we have identified all the products we can activate after the date including the most used ones such as B4 II, Spektral Delay, Pro-53, Vokator and even some of the Traktor version we listed. We will share a full list as soon as we can with all the details and how to proceed if you have one of the instrument listed.
https://vi-control.net/community/th...from-may-31st.90761/page-30#post-4544290

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission