2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (ChrisGoesPiano, AmyBNE, Calavera, cygnusdei, CraiginNZ, apianostudent, danno858, beginer, 12 invisible), 501 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 166 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 165 166
M
M
Has anyone tried the new improved organ or harpsichord sounds yet? Hopefully you can tell the difference there?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by sleutelbos
That is what I am doing. And I can't hear any difference, and neither can my spectrum analyser. :P

Maybe you can ask Kawai James for the older software that everyone else seems to be having and check if it works. You can always upgrade once the software update is officially released. Then at least you know if it is an issue with your software.

S
S
Originally Posted by Martinez
That is what I am doing. And I can't hear any difference, and neither can my spectrum analyser. :P

Maybe you can ask Kawai James for the older software that everyone else seems to be having and check if it works. You can always upgrade once the software update is officially released. Then at least you know if it is an issue with your software.

I did, he already passed it on. smile It clearly is a software issue, and since the default sound works fine I can wait for the next firmware upgrade no problem. But its a rather odd issue. BTW, are the rendering type presets supposed to change the VT settings, or are they separate things?

Last edited by sleutelbos; 03/11/20 08:35 AM.
S
S
Anybody able to record to USB? I only have a USB3 device, and I cannot record to it or format it. Does this mean I need a USB-2 device, or is this an error in my firmware?

R
R
Anybody able to record to USB? I only have a USB3 device, and I cannot record to it or format it. Does this mean I need a USB-2 device, or is this an error in my firmware?

I'm quite certain it's supposed to support USB 3. It is the year 2020 after all. It's sad that this beautiful instrument was released with so many bugs. Is Kawai pretty good with releasing firmware updates? I'm on the verge of purchasing a CA99, but after reading the bugs you found, I feel like I need to wait a while.

S
S
Originally Posted by richdinoso

I'm quite certain it's supposed to support USB 3. It is the year 2020 after all. It's sad that this beautiful instrument was released with so many bugs. Is Kawai pretty good with releasing firmware updates? I'm on the verge of purchasing a CA99, but after reading the bugs you found, I feel like I need to wait a while.

Mind you, it could be me that is something messing up in this case! Like, what format does it need to be in? Does the internal formatting only work if the stick is already in the correct format? So far I only experienced two bugs at most; this and the rendering type. Both could be caused maybe by a failed loading of the firmware. In any case, I found so far nobody who has these issues (and you can check for them yourself in the store when in doubt!). smile

M
OP Offline
M

Yes, I am. I do not have a USB-3 stick, but USB-3 should be backwards compatible.

I found the following issues:

• I did not find a way to delete recordings (neither internal nor USB)
  • I do not understand the difference between USB Music Player and Recorder Playback
  • ...USB Music Player is supposed to be for songs stored on USB
  • ...Recorded Songs for USB and internally recorded songs
  • ...Why is this not combined into one?
  • When playing recordings (internal or USB) I was unable to switch between the player view and the mini player view
  • Forward / backward works unexpectedly for me....
  • ...Forward jumps to the song one line to the top
  • ...Backward jumps to the song one line down
  • ...Shouldn't this be the other way around?
  • I do not understand the purpose of the recording level (gain) setting for mp3 / wav. I am working with mp3 since the mid 90s and I never saw a gain control. I can see some use case for overdubbing though...

Sorry Kawai, but this is one of the worst implementations of recording / playback I have seen in a long time... I am happy that I didn't buy the CA79 for its recording / playback capabilities.

PS: Sleutelbos - see page 77 and 83 of the user manual for USB info:

• Check that the USB memory device is formatted to use the FAT/FAT32 filesystem, and not set to “Write Protect” mode.
  • The “USB to Device” functionality of the CA99/CA79 digital piano conforms to USB2.0 Hi-Speed standards. Older USB devices can still be used, however data transfer speed will be limited to the maximum transfer speed of the device.

S
S
Originally Posted by Martinez

Yes, I am. I do not have a USB-3 stick, but USB-3 should be backwards compatible.

I found the following issues:

• I did not find a way to delete recordings (neither internal nor USB)
  • I do not understand the difference between USB Music Player and Recorder Playback
  • ...USB Music Player is supposed to be for songs stored on USB
  • ...Recorded Songs for USB and internally recorded songs
  • ...Why is this not combined into one?
  • When playing recordings (internal or USB) I was unable to switch between the player view and the mini player view
  • Forward / backward works unexpectedly for me....
  • ...Forward jumps to the song one line to the top
  • ...Backward jumps to the song one line down
  • ...Shouldn't this be the other way around?
  • I do not understand the purpose of the recording level (gain) setting for mp3 / wav. I am working with mp3 since the mid 90s and I never saw a gain control. I can see some use case for overdubbing though...

Sorry Kawai, but this is one of the worst implementations of recording / playback I have seen in a long time... I am happy that I didn't buy the CA79 for its recording / playback capabilities.

PS: Sleutelbos - see page 77 and 83 of the user manual for USB info:

• Check that the USB memory device is formatted to use the FAT/FAT32 filesystem, and not set to “Write Protect” mode.
  • The “USB to Device” functionality of the CA99/CA79 digital piano conforms to USB2.0 Hi-Speed standards. Older USB devices can still be used, however data transfer speed will be limited to the maximum transfer speed of the device.

Ha, thanks for the thorough post! I'm reformatting again, this time skipping the 'fast format' option windows offers. I didnt care about the function when I bought it, but I hope I can make higher-volume recordings compared with the line-out which is tied to the master volume.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Shame there are basic problems with software again frown

R
R
Been researching pricing for a CA99 in the US, and the lowest I was quoted was $5100. In Europe, it's $3600 USD. shocked I don't understand this price difference at all. I assume the US has a high customs tax.

Last edited by richdinoso; 03/11/20 05:37 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The quoted price means nothing. The price that matters is the offer you make that the dealer accepts.

T
T
Thanks Martinez for reporting your recorder experience. That’s why I asked in my first post. But isn’t it even possible to delete ALL internal recordings? Regarding the owners-manual this “feature” should be available. However, you’re right, that’s kind of a weird implementation, if it would be only possible to delete all internal songs. The individual USB recordings could at least be deleted with a computer.

What do you mean with “I was unable to switch between the player view and the mini player view”? I don’t really understand the use-case to switch between these views.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Been researching pricing for a CA99 in the US, and the lowest I was quoted was $5100. In Europe, it's $3600 USD. shocked I don't understand this price difference at all. I assume the US has a high customs tax.

Unfortunately that was always the case with all digital pianos I think frown

K
K
HA HA I am just about to go travel to the Dealer - To sleutelbos - I am hoping for a shiny black one - but no one seems to know when they will be available over here - let see what I see when I get there - will keep you guy's posted anyway. cya later! smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Is Kawai pretty good with releasing firmware updates?

In the previous CA78/CA98/NV10/NV5 generation, Kawai was indeed pretty good with releasing such updates.
I have personally reported several bugs that were then addressed in updates. And I know others here on the forum have too.
So if you find a bug, make sure to report it to Kawai support (and not just gripe about it here on the forum) and there is a very good chance that it will be fixed.
But this is for bugs where a feature in the software does not work in the way it is described in the manual (i.e. the manual says that you can do such and such, but when you try it, it doesn't work) or that were obvious malfunctions (hangings/crashes/sound problems/etc.).
There also was a number of complaints where people were simply not happy with how the software was working (for example the favorite management was widely criticized). Such complaints were not addressed in firmware updates (instead, many of them seem to have been taken on board with the next generation, i.e. CA79/CA99).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
M
M
It might be a better idea for Kawai to test their software before releasing the product, or even after releasing the product, rather than relying on customers finding the bugs for them?

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by TomBom
What do you mean with “I was unable to switch between the player view and the mini player view”? I don’t really understand the use-case to switch between these views.

It's not primarily about a use case, the function is described in the User Manual page 38, so it should work.

The software undergoes various stages of bug checking before instruments are released, however it's not impossible for some bugs to fall through the cracks.

I do not have a CA79/CA99 here in this office to check the reports from sleutelbos and Martinez for myself, however I have forwarded their claims to my colleagues on the product development team for investigation.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

May I ask the manufacturer and model of the USB device, please?

If should be possible to format the stick on the instrument itself, however if not, please try formatting (using FAT or FAT32 filesystems) on a computer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by JoBert
So if you find a bug, make sure to report it to Kawai support (and not just gripe about it here on the forum) and there is a very good chance that it will be fixed.

According to Kawai James...

Originally Posted by Kawai James
- Various UI issues will be fixed with the v1.0.4 UI update. As visible in sleutelbos' post above, some CA79/CA99 have already shipped with this version of the software pre-loaded.
- The auto display off time should also be fixed in the v1.0.4 UI update.

The v1.0.4 UI update has not been publicly released yet, but should be available later in the month.

... which is why it doesn't make sense to me to report issues now. As soon as the update is released we have to check which issues remain and that is in my opinion the proper time to report them via official channels.

Page 5 of 166 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 165 166

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Es920 production stopped??
by playplayplay - 12/07/21 12:07 AM
Mehlin & Sons Piano Identification
by LeviWhitted - 12/06/21 08:37 PM
jack position button not present in old grand
by f4tune81 - 12/06/21 08:11 PM
Thinking about recital #65
by stevedoz - 12/06/21 04:28 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,420
Posts3,151,114
Members103,539
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission