2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
OP Offline
I
Do you have any experiences with Chinese (Aliexpress, eBay etc.) purchased piano hammers, with so called "japanese felt" or "german felt"? I have 90 year old german upright, with really worn hammers, and my goal is to improve the sound with minimum (but reasonable) spend (to last maximum a year, and than sell and to buy something much better and newer). Many of the hammers have too little felt for reshaping, and - as I read few times - such old hammers will go very quickly to their current state after reshaping smirk

Yes, I know what is connected with hammer replacement, angles, glues and etc, no worries, just asking about hammerheads itself.

Cheapest ABEL cost over two times more, I know it's good to buy ABEL, but I want to spend as little as possible.

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
If you have never replaced hammers on a piano, any meaningful advice given here will be of severely limited utility. But I will attempt to impart some very succinctly worded information about piano hammers.

Piano hammers are best thought of as "exciting dampers".

The mass of the hammers and how this affects the inertial properties of the action are so critical to tone, action response, stability of tone quality with use, and durability in general.

The density of the felt and how it varies across the compass as well are critical.

The hammers must strike all three strings at the exact same time so the unison strings are in phase.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I too have noted Chinese hammer sets on sale at reasonable prices, and have wondered about their qualities. Does anyone have experience with them (apart from in new Chinese pianos, of course)?

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
On my 1945 upright I have tried two methods on worn hammers - both work.
I am neither a piano tuner nor an expert pianist : however I do have years of experience in mechanical engineering and one years university physics. ! !
Preparation: shape the hammers to remove grooves and, restore the correct oval shape, this may be impossible on the final teble hammers.!
Then either :-
I. Buy 14mm wide Kevlar tape ( widest hammers are 12mm ), take tape and pull it round the hammer holding it ON THE WOOD under the hammer: cut the tape leaving sufficient to "super glue" it TO THE WOOD !. Glue your length of Kevlar first to the underside and wait about 2mins for glue to set, then wearing "rubber" gloves pull the other end of the tape round over the felt and glue it TO THE WOOD.- as the tape is streched you will have to hold it down for about one min!
2.Buy a "chamious(sp) leather cloth" and cut strips about 14mm wide and do the same as in No1 above. Chamy leather is very strechy and thus you will have to make a judgement on just how tight to pull it

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Er.....

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission