2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (AJB, BMKE, antune, babooshka, anotherscott, 0day, 14 invisible), 973 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2955627 03/09/20 03:57 AM

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Interesting article with a number of parallels to the piano industry (IMO).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...800-000-tractor?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It's about farmers suing manufacturers for the right to repair and modify their farming equipment!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

I've been following this for a while. And I have a long memory for this kind of nonsense. This is an example of a company that will never get another penny from me (when my current mower wears out). I would hate to start adding piano companies to this list...

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Interesting article with a number of parallels to the piano industry (IMO).

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...800-000-tractor?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It's about farmers suing manufacturers for the right to repair and modify their farming equipment!

I haven’t been following this in regards to farm equipment. I do see this same issue cropping up in every day appliances and vehicles. The “on board computer” makes home repair of equipment significantly more difficult and the required diagnostics are way too expensive for a DIY repair. Are you really gonna let your friend “Bobby the backyard mechanic” wrench on your Tesla’s battery issues? This is one of the very reasons I would hesitate to buy a Spirio system added to my new Steinway B. “This is assuming I had the scratch to afford one.” This also does have some parallel to the whole “Steinway rebuilding issue” mentioned in several recent threads.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Owner's rights are limited, till the warranty runs out. smile

I read the article Ret posted, and it was not at all surprising. And, since this thread is somewhat OT, but related to the S&S issue regarding rebuilders, etc... I'll share a quick story of my own, related to JD.

Several years ago, I bought a new Scott's riding lawn mower, made by John Deere, at Home Depot. The salesperson bragged about how it was made by John Deere and was warrantied by John Deere. So, I bought it. And, as my luck would have it, I had some trouble with it the day I bought it and brought it home, cranked it and proceeded to mow my grass with my brand new, Scott's/John Deere mower. Going up a steep hill in my yard, the mower started slowing down, and then stopping, on its own.

I assumed the drive belt was slipping/needed adjusting. It functioned OK going down hill or level, but slowed down almost to a stop going up hill.

Although I'm an avid DIYer, there are exceptions. This was a brand new machine, and I was not about to start making adjustments to the drive belt. So, I called the guy at Home Depot, and he told me to call the local John Deere dealer for warranty. I called the local John Deere dealer and he said the mower was not a real John Deere mower and I needed to take it back to Home Depot. I called the guy back at Home Depot, and he said the guy at the John Deere dealer was wrong, and it was indeed a real John Deere mower and they were supposed to handle any warranty issues with the mower. I was caught in the middle.

So, I took the mower back to Home Depot, and exchanged it for another new Scott's riding mower, with the hydrostatic transmission instead of gear drive. That was the best mower I've ever owned, and I still have it 16 years later; and, I get my parts at the local John Deere dealer, or online, depending on how fast I want the parts.

Moral of the story? Owners have a right to learn from their experiences, take it or leave it or move on to other companies/brands. And, you don't always get what you pay for, whether it's a tractor, a riding lawn mower or a piano (IMHO)... smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Originally Posted by Rickster
Owner's rights are limited, till the warranty runs out. smile

I read the article Ret posted, and it was not at all surprising. And, since this thread is somewhat OT, but related to the S&S issue regarding rebuilders, etc... I'll share a quick story of my own, related to JD.

Several years ago, I bought a new Scott's riding lawn mower, made by John Deere, at Home Depot. The salesperson bragged about how it was made by John Deere and was warrantied by John Deere. So, I bought it. And, as my luck would have it, I had some trouble with it the day I bought it and brought it home, cranked it and proceeded to mow my grass with my brand new, Scott's/John Deere mower. Going up a steep hill in my yard, the mower started slowing down, and then stopping, on its own.

I assumed the drive belt was slipping/needed adjusting. It functioned OK going down hill or level, but slowed down almost to a stop going up hill.

Although I'm an avid DIYer, there are exceptions. This was a brand new machine, and I was not about to start making adjustments to the drive belt. So, I called the guy at Home Depot, and he told me to call the local John Deere dealer for warranty. I called the local John Deere dealer and he said the mower was not a real John Deere mower and I needed to take it back to Home Depot. I called the guy back at Home Depot, and he said the guy at the John Deere dealer was wrong, and it was indeed a real John Deere mower and they were supposed to handle any warranty issues with the mower. I was caught in the middle.

So, I took the mower back to Home Depot, and exchanged it for another new Scott's riding mower, with the hydrostatic transmission instead of gear drive. That was the best mower I've ever owned, and I still have it 16 years later; and, I get my parts at the local John Deere dealer, or online, depending on how fast I want the parts.

Moral of the story? Owners have a right to learn from their experiences, take it or leave it or move on to other companies/brands. And, you don't always get what you pay for, whether it's a tractor, a riding lawn mower or a piano (IMHO)... smile

Rick

I see you're in the USA, as I am. As I understand it, the warranty limitations were legislated away in 1970something. If a company wants to deny a warranty claim because someone else laid hands on their precious hardware, it's up to the company trying to deny the warranty to prove that the work done by someone else was the cause of the problem. Big auto fought this one and lost. I'm not saying that no one will try this one, just that it won't stand up to a challenge.

Amen on the moral of you story.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I'm not sure the article presents a good analogy to pianos. The article is not really about repairing farm equipment; it's more about access to the software that runs it and that can troubleshoot when there are problems. Acoustic pianos are not run by computers. A better analogy might be to problems with the software that people use when they install computers into their pianos.

There is also a real issue for the equipment manufacturers here. Their software is proprietary, and they do own it. Sharing it indiscriminately with anyone who wants to use it would be problematic and would immediately mean that the company that developed the programs loses any control over them.

Incidentally, safety risks generated by people who have no idea what they are doing messing around with computer programs in gigantic combines (for example) would be legion. Even if they did not actively seek to remove time and energy consuming safety or environmental protection devices, there is no guarantee that their coding skills would be up to whatever task they seek to perform. Even the most aggressive of piano computer systems could not possibly pose such threats.

In any event, the software that controls combines and the like is, I am reasonably certain, copyrighted or patented. We should all be careful about wishing for rules that laws that may reduce or eliminate any value in patents or copyrights. Especially those of us who (unlike me) are musicians composing music that they would like to continue to own after performing it.

I'm not saying that farmers are not entitled to be frustrated. Anyone who owns a newish care will share their frustration. I'm just not sure that the answer is to force companies to disclose their software to anyone who wants it.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Their software is proprietary, and they do own it. Sharing it indiscriminately with anyone who wants to use it would be problematic and would immediately mean that the company that developed the programs loses any control over them.

So?

They're not a software development house, they're a farm equipment manufacturer. To the extent there is competition in that market it should center around who can make a better (stronger, faster, more efficient) tractor, not who can lock their software down so tightly that nobody can repair the equipment that they've paid hundreds of thousand of dollars for.

If your multi-billion dollar company can't compete with Joe's Corner Garage and Hymie with his pipe wrench, there's bigger problems there than just software issues.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
My question would be are there other manufacturers that have chosen NOT to go highly computerized and produce a product that does almost as much...but is repairable?

If so, then a choice can be made. If not, then that spells PROBLEMS for large farmers, who already have significant problems maintaining their operations.

Pwg

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is a CPT necessary?
by Petoskeyguy - 08/13/22 11:07 AM
Yamaha clp 785 horrible chorus effect
by Chrisgilx - 08/13/22 10:51 AM
How are you learning?
by bennevis - 08/13/22 09:41 AM
Here am and a little help
by Mayopapayo - 08/13/22 07:14 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,375
Posts3,215,974
Members106,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission