2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
66 members (albydooby, Chewbacca, cfhosford, Charles Cohen, AjinoRegret, Craig Hair, 14 invisible), 486 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Upgrade to CFX Full
#2955295 03/08/20 04:18 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hi,

Have got CFX Lite, but wondering about the key differences with Full, from someone who has made the transition. In particular:

- sound quality - I know the close mics will make a difference, but currently I find the attack of the mid treble, and the overall resonance too much. Can this / does this change?

- pedalling - any change here? - I currently find the sustain pedal too sensitive, with no free play, making it very difficult to half-pedal reliably.( The pedal is calibrated well for the naked sound on my N2 and with Pianoteq)

- I can imagine the loading time is increased, but is the CPU load also increased (my ageing laptop (3.2GHx and 8 meg of RAM) just about copes with CFX Lite with 10ms latency which I like, but not sure if it would cope with the full package.

Thanks.

Re: Upgrade to CFX Full
Chris Warren #2955315 03/08/20 07:25 AM
G
G
From what I understand the software itself is identical - the only difference is that the full version includes the ambient mics of the classic perspective, and two additional perspectives (both of which are comprised of close and ambient mics).

I can't say anything about the CPU or RAM load - although obviously, more RAM is going to be used. Some users reported that the software has issues with RAM leakage or something like that, but that's only an issue if you intend on running it for many hours or even days, as some users here have laptops that are always turned on and have the instrument loaded. But for normal use (a few hours at a time), I didn't experience any issues.

The ambient mic is really, really worth it. Takes the sound to another level and makes the Lite version sound lifeless and dry, in my opinion.

Grazilerimba #2955316 03/08/20 07:33 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Grazilerimba
From what I understand the software itself is identical - the only difference is that the full version includes the ambient mics of the classic perspective, and two additional perspectives (both of which are comprised of close and ambient mics).

I can't say anything about the CPU or RAM load - although obviously, more RAM is going to be used. Some users reported that the software has issues with RAM leakage or something like that, but that's only an issue if you intend on running it for many hours or even days, as some users here have laptops that are always turned on and have the instrument loaded. But for normal use (a few hours at a time), I didn't experience any issues.

The ambient mic is really, really worth it. Takes the sound to another level and makes the Lite version sound lifeless and dry, in my opinion.

+1. Can’t add more to that.

P.S. I used to keep it running for weeks/months without a restart on my Mac Mini. No issues whatsoever.

Last edited by CyberGene; 03/08/20 07:34 AM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Chris Warren #2955364 03/08/20 10:55 AM
B
B
Does Garritan CFX record everything you play the same way that pianoteq does? I think that is a really neat thing. smile

Boboulus #2955367 03/08/20 11:05 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Boboulus
Does Garritan CFX record everything you play the same way that pianoteq does? I think that is a really neat thing. smile

No, you have to include it in a VST host. A DAW (Cakewalk by example, it is free) if you want to edit the record (trimming the blank record between the record start and the actual play), or something simpler like Cantabile.

If you really want the « it records every thing, no need to press record », the last Cubase version has this feature.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Chris Warren #2955521 03/08/20 05:31 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you don't want to bother with a VST host, you can also let pianoteq run in the background and mute its output.
I created a "STFU" profile specifically for that. laugh

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Granyala #2955542 03/08/20 07:14 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granyala
If you don't want to bother with a VST host, you can also let pianoteq run in the background and mute its output.

Some MIDI drivers don’t allow two simultaneous applications (Garritan, Pianoteq) to access them. wink

Last edited by Frédéric L; 03/08/20 07:14 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Chris Warren #2955546 03/08/20 07:33 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris Warren
- sound quality - I know the close mics will make a difference, but currently I find the attack of the mid treble, and the overall resonance too much. Can this / does this change?
The Full>Default>Classic brings a lot of ambience to bear and also smooths out some of the sounds and a bit of phasing IMHO. I don't like Garritan CFX lite with just the close mics.

The mics are a bit noisy and adding another pair of mics boosts noise naturally, so I reduce the "volume" of the ambient mic a bit.
- pedalling - any change here? - I currently find the sustain pedal too sensitive, with no free play, making it very difficult to half-pedal reliably.( The pedal is calibrated well for the naked sound on my N2 and with Pianoteq)
Try the CyberGene pedaling patch which is linked here. You can change the parameters as you like. That should work on both versions of Garritan CFX
- I can imagine the loading time is increased, but is the CPU load also increased (my ageing laptop (3.2GHx and 8 meg of RAM) just about copes with CFX Lite with 10ms latency which I like, but not sure if it would cope with the full package.
I don't know what 10ms of latency means but I can run Garritan CFX Full at 44,1KHz with a buffer of 48 on a older laptop with a 3.2GHz Intel i5 6300HQ (2015 Dell XPS). I don't see a performance hit with more mics. YMMV.

I have tested Garritan CFX Full on this laptop with a variety of configurations (8GB & 32GB of RAM, excellent SATA & nvme SSDs). Also tried with newer generation i7 HQ. I can't notice any performance differences.

Taming the lousy Dell BIOS took some effort. Dell sorted most of the issues after a year or so. I run windows power options on "high performance". I also turned off c-states in the BIOS. Those help reduce clicking & popping. You can search my posts for some other minor tweaks but those make the most difference.

Loading time is over 30 seconds. The SSD type (SATA vs nvme) did not change that. You can change Inst Disk Pre Caching in Garritan to a lower number to speed loading times but that might hurt latency performance. I don't recall CFX Full loading times being much more irritating than those of CFX lite.

Frédéric L #2955547 03/08/20 07:34 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
About recording, you can record in the Garritan player, but only as wave audio (WAW files). Not as MIDI, for that you need a DAW, as has been noted already, or Pianoteq.

Last edited by TheodorN; 03/08/20 07:36 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
Frédéric L #2955603 03/09/20 12:54 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L

Some MIDI drivers don’t allow two simultaneous applications (Garritan, Pianoteq) to access them. wink

True, in that case, there is no way around a VST host.

Originally Posted by newer player
Loading time is over 30 seconds. The SSD type (SATA vs nvme) did not change that.

Th biggest cut in loading times is excluding the Garritan folder from your Anti Virus solution.

Brought mine down from a minute to 15s or so.

Last edited by Granyala; 03/09/20 12:59 AM.

The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.
VPC 1 -> Pianoteq 6 Std | Garritan CFX / Pearl Alto Flute 201
Granyala #2955706 03/09/20 10:28 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Th biggest cut in loading times is excluding the Garritan folder from your Anti Virus solution.

Forgot about that trick. What a difference with a new, fast nvme SSD!

I made a slight difference on my SATA SSD.

Chris Warren #2955739 03/09/20 01:00 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On my PC the Antivirus multiply the delay of loading by 2 on a SATA SSD. Excluding the Garritan directory was very efficient.

I would like to insert a Nvme SSD, but they generally need a PCIe x4... when my PC has only a PCIe x1. Then I would have to change the whole PC.

Frédéric L #2955755 03/09/20 01:48 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
I would like to insert a Nvme SSD, but they generally need a PCIe x4... when my PC has only a PCIe x1. Then I would have to change the whole PC.
It is tough to beat a good SATA SSD for most users.

Running nvme on a x1 slot would be irritating. Not sure you would notice any change in performance anyways. Your wallet would lol.

Granyala #2955757 03/09/20 01:56 PM
S
S

No way. Just tried it, down to 13.8s. Thank you!

Chris Warren #2956893 03/13/20 01:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Would some kind soul be able to upload a short track recorded with CFX Lite and Full?

Chris Warren #2956960 03/13/20 07:17 PM
B
B
Would some kind soul be able to upload a short track recorded with CFX Lite and Full?

Om Garritans website you can compare them both with many different tracks they have on soundcloud.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering advice. Beethoven op 26
by albydooby - 07/15/20 08:09 AM
Peter Martin plays Stevie Wonder
by Simon_b - 07/15/20 07:34 AM
Scarlatti Themed Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:08 AM
Scarlatti Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:07 AM
30 days until Recital #59!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,269
Posts2,980,873
Members97,771
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission