2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 15 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Makes me glad I live in a one story home and there’s no stairs to hamper delivery of a big piano or super heavy furniture. Besides the Estonia, we have this super heavy dining table that is an utter pain to move.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L

Awesome photo essay! I love how we get it done in New York City. The piano movers for PianoPiano fit the U1 into my elevator before I had time to get downstairs to see them roll it in. They were good, and fast.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/07/20 10:25 AM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Great article!! Piano moving is a unique skill. I watched the guys who moved my grand, they were obviously very accustomed to working together, had a system for everything and were very, very good at it. I also watched a guy move my upright by himself, he was very good as well, clearly knew exactly exactly what to do in order to manage the task alone, safely, and without injury to body or instrument.

A few things from the article:

Tiny elevators can be a professional hazard: “Once, two guys were in the elevator when the cable snapped,” Ripatti said.
“The guys were cut out in a few hours, but the piano was stuck for two more days.”

shocked

“The movers are here to protect the piano, not the hallway.”

I like their priorities!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Great article!! Piano moving is a unique skill. I watched the guys who moved my grand, they were obviously very accustomed to working together, had a system for everything and were very, very good at it. I also watched a guy move my upright by himself, he was very good as well, clearly knew exactly exactly what to do in order to manage the task alone, safely, and without injury to body or instrument.

A few things from the article:

Tiny elevators can be a professional hazard: “Once, two guys were in the elevator when the cable snapped,” Ripatti said.
“The guys were cut out in a few hours, but the piano was stuck for two more days.”

shocked

“The movers are here to protect the piano, not the hallway.”

I like their priorities!

Elisha Otis invented the safety brake for elevators and demonstrated it at the 1853 New York World's Fair. Before that, people were terrified to ride on elevators for fear the cable would break.

"At the age of 40, while he was cleaning up the factory, he wondered how he could get all the old debris up to the upper levels of the factory. He had heard of hoisting platforms, but these often broke, and he was unwilling to take the risks. He and his sons, who were also tinkerers, designed their own "safety elevator" and tested it successfully. He initially thought so little of it he neither patented it nor requested a bonus from his superiors for it, nor did he try to sell it. After having made several sales, and after the bedstead factory declined, Otis took the opportunity to make an elevator company out of it, initially called Union Elevator Works and later Otis Brothers & Co.

No orders came to him over the next several months, but soon after, the 1853 New York World's Fair offered a great chance at publicity.[4] At the New York Crystal Palace, Otis amazed a crowd when he ordered the only rope holding the platform on which he was standing cut.[2] The rope was severed by an axeman, and the platform fell only a few inches before coming to a halt.[5] The safety locking mechanism had worked, and people gained greater willingness to ride in traction elevators; these elevators quickly became the type in most common usage and helped make present-day skyscrapers possible."

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Cool story and pictures!

Sad to hear that "more often than not these days, pianos are being moved out rather than in." But not surprising.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Enjoyed the story and pictures. Been to the warehouse. Piano graveyard for sure. Don't know how they keep track of all the instruments.

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
It reminds me when I got my piano. For the delivery in my basement, my stair goes like this, turn left, turn left again go down and turn right. It was tight but I measured everything. I knew the maximum height and depth of the upright piano and I could buy. But I made one big mistake, piano came with blanket and strap around it. They couldn't get the piano down, they had to remove the strap and blankets. They were able to do it very slowly and there was no scratch on the piano or the wall, I gave them extra money.

Last edited by Serge88; 03/07/20 02:18 PM.

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

M
M
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed this.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Cool little documentary. It makes me want to document more of our deliveries and pick ups. Some may have seen us craning a Steinway D into a loft already, but if you did not,click here for a short video:

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Enjoyed the video! Thank you!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Those who don't own a full size snooker table and a 9' grand knot only part of the story.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Cool little documentary. It makes me want to document more of our deliveries and pick ups. Some may have seen us craning a Steinway D into a loft already, but if you did not,click here for a short video:
Very nice, but I think the best piano delivery video, for both its drama and poetic dialogue is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1n5rurPRH8

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Very nice, but I think the best piano delivery video, for both its drama and poetic dialogue is this one:

TOTALLY! I love it!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Rich, I've seen that video before, but now that I have a grand of my own, I appreciate it more!!

The shot where one of the guys is standing on the window sill, and another guy is holding on to the first guy's belt buckle!! shocked

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Wow!!! How much did you charge the client for that job?

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Rich, I've seen that video before, but now that I have a grand of my own, I appreciate it more!!

The shot where one of the guys is standing on the window sill, and another guy is holding on to the first guy's belt buckle!! shocked

That freaks me out! On a high floor in a building I worked at in downtown NYC, the window washers used to stand on the window sill and hold themselves there with one hand on the inside of the wall! I had to leave the room, I couldn't watch.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/07/20 11:28 PM.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission