2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (AndrewJCW, Belma, Beowulf, DDobs, EPW, Bluthendorfer, Gord Webster, 9 invisible), 508 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Two Pianists Test the Meaning of Virtuosity
#2954511 03/05/20 03:46 PM
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Article: Two Pianists Test the Meaning of Virtuosity: Yuja Wang and Daniil Trifonov have different artistic personalities. But they’re similar in how they recently took audiences on unusual musical journeys.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: Two Pianists Test the Meaning of Virtuosity
Tyrone Slothrop #2954525 03/05/20 04:21 PM
S
S
Do you have a link without a paywall?

Tyrone Slothrop #2954530 03/05/20 04:44 PM
B
B
Thanks for sharing the article.
I was lucky enough to hear both recitals last month in SoCal. And both were a marvelous experience. A contrast of styles, performance and content.
Tommasini failed to mention that Daniil did his own completion of Bach's unfinished "Art of Fugue". Instead of ending abruptly in the air (as Angela Hewitt does in her recording), Trifinov ends in his own coda of Baroque counterpoint, triumphantly in D major.
One small thing that both Yuja and Daniil did was to segue directly into pieces. Trifonov ended the Chaconne in block chords, before they completely died out he began the theme of the Art of Fugue. Likewise Yuja linked some of the Chopin Mazurkas and Brahms Intermezzi together. I found it to be very effective. At this point it did not matter to me which piece was what, but just to enjoy the music as what Yuja intended for the audience to do.

Estonia 190 #6209
Working on:
Liszt: Chasse Neige
Tyrone Slothrop #2954692 03/06/20 05:35 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
What seems always strange to me is the focus of some commentators on the technical abilities of pianists (or other musicians), as if it is a criteria. I actually never considered it, the only important thing being the musical result. The fact that some pianists can play certain pieces at a light speed is good for them or as a fun exercice but is of complete non interest to me if the end goal is just to demonstrate how skillful they are.

I am probably of an old school, but when I listen to music i do not wonder if the musician is a virtuoso or not. I just listen to the artist.

Sidokar #2954809 03/06/20 12:23 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Sidokar
What seems always strange to me is the focus of some commentators on the technical abilities of pianists (or other musicians), as if it is a criteria. I actually never considered it, the only important thing being the musical result. The fact that some pianists can play certain pieces at a light speed is good for them or as a fun exercice but is of complete non interest to me if the end goal is just to demonstrate how skillful they are.

I am probably of an old school, but when I listen to music i do not wonder if the musician is a virtuoso or not. I just listen to the artist.
I think some/many pieces by their nature require great technical ability so that technique becomes one important consideration when evaluating pianists. Without a terrific technique many pieces cannot be played well no matter how great the pianist's other musical skills are.

Tyrone Slothrop #2955056 03/07/20 07:35 AM
H
H
And, as usual, Ms. Wang did not announce her encores, which included a crackling account of Prokofiev’s driving Toccata in D minor.....

For encores, he played charming, buoyant and playful works by three of Bach’s sons: Johann Christian, Wilhelm Friedemann and Carl Philipp Emanuel. True to form, he did not announce what the pieces were, leaving the audience to just listen.

I bet, however, that people in the audience would have loved to know what they were hearing.

I am one of those audience members who wants to know what I'm hearing, and I'm grateful when a pianist announces their encore. When the performer does not announce the encore and I don't recognize it (I would have recognized Prokofiev's Toccata), I usually send an email to someone in the sponsoring organization. Staff members of the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society and the Philadelphia Orchestra have graciously answered my inquiries and satisfied my curiosity--but I'd rather know the answer at the time of the concert.

Sidokar #2955061 03/07/20 08:07 AM
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Sidokar

To me, if you’re one of the handful of touring concert pianists in the world, technical ability is part of the job description and assumed.

Are there really any big name touring pianists whom we would not classify as virtuoso performers?

boo1234 #2955095 03/07/20 10:40 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by boo1234

To me, if you’re one of the handful of touring concert pianists in the world, technical ability is part of the job description and assumed.

Are there really any big name touring pianists whom we would not classify as virtuoso performers?

Precisely. Hence I do not see what is the point of these comments. There are many activities where an outstanding technique is a must. One can not be a top level tennis player or golfer or football player or .... without the proper technical skills.

But unlike some other activities, in music having the technique is not enough. More inportant are the interpretative skills and artistic sense. It is the ability of bringing forward the deep content of a piece into a consistent view that makes the difference between an excellent pianist and an artist (granted they are roughly equal in technique).

In the most virtuoso pieces of Listz, Claudio Arrau always managed to develop the musical side of it. I have never listened to him thinking how technically good he was but just how great an artist he was.

I think the You Tube, as usefull as it can be, has also developed an hyper focus on the image. When I was younger, I attended to concert pretty far back in the room and could not see the pianist well. Most of my listening, when I was not playing piano, was on the radio, LPs and CDs. So I just focused on the music and not on the hands of the pianist or whether he/she was wearing sun glasses or what kind of clothes. And so even today I really do not care if Yuja Wang can play Bumblebee faster or not than anybody else (though it is fun to watch).

Tyrone Slothrop #2955112 03/07/20 11:12 AM
B
B
In quite a lot of music composed not just by virtuoso pianist-composers like Liszt, Rachmaninov, Saint-Saëns, Prokofiev and Bartók, but also composers with mediocre piano-playing abilities like Ravel, Tchaikovsky and Barber, the virtuosic aspect of some of their piano music is a big raison d'être, even if it was not composed for themselves or a specific virtuoso to play.

If the performer doesn't have the chops to convey this important aspect of the pieces, there's no point in him performing such music (and many don't - and a few even openly profess to despise it. Sour grapes: I name no names, of course whistle). The audience expect to hear - and see - vertiginous feats of virtuosity.

And I'm not even talking about the virtuosic transcriptions and derangements by Liszt, Godowsky, Rachmaninov, Horowitz, Cziffra, Ginzburg et al.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha or Rolan Or William rhapsody
by Belma - 01/15/21 11:22 PM
Kawai GX2 vs Shimmel 180
by tony3304 - 01/15/21 10:51 PM
N3X Lid Pin Sticking Out?
by tierce_de_picardie - 01/15/21 07:45 PM
Polyester finish Yammy
by bill miller - 01/15/21 07:29 PM
Stack of Thirds Temperament
by Seeker - 01/15/21 07:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,279
Posts3,047,119
Members100,069
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission