2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (chopinetto, anotherscott, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, Carey, 1957, cmb13, David B, 11 invisible), 456 guests, and 442 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 134
Streak: 134

Originally Posted by wouldloveto
Hey, I think I just found the youtube version that matches the one you have https://youtu.be/UZiuKuFUnb4
That is definitely triplets! Listen carefully to that bit. I'm sure you will realise soon smile

The only difference I can see is that she doesn't quite play them legato... :p

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I think you should show the diagram to your teacher too then and have them explain why they want you to sit with your elbows so far below the level of the keys. This is just not standard position to sit so low.. Perhaps she has her reason for it, but it's just not best practice as demonstrated by the diagram, where you can see for yourself, the bottom of the forearms are almost parallel to the surface of the keys and do not drop significantly below their level. That is the usually recommended position for classical piano.

I'll have a chat with her in a couple of days. I did find it odd that she would change that, but I guessed she probably just knows more than I do.

Someone Like You is DEFINITELY a ton harder than I assumed it would, hiding in the middle of very approachable pieces. I'm not backing down though, that's a challenge I intend on taking! :P

Practice will likely slow down a ton next few days, I'll be part of organizing a rather large event, so I'll be trying to sneak in some time if at all possible smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
W
Originally Posted by Ankee

Hey, I think I just found the youtube version that matches the one you have https://youtu.be/UZiuKuFUnb4
That is definitely triplets! Listen carefully to that bit. I'm sure you will realise soon smile

Now that I can see the notes on her book it's even pretty evident you're not listening to my advice to count. You are actually adding an extra beat... If you would take the time to count and tap the rhythm while listening to your version, you would realise, as at that point you wouldn't be able to match the count with beats anymore. Or you could also ask your teacher, as probably you haven't caught with triplets yet... Anyway, up to you. I promise this is my last post about it.

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Now that I can see the notes on her book it's even pretty evident you're not listening to my advice to count. You are actually adding an extra beat... If you would take the time to count and tap the rhythm while listening to your version, you would realise, as at that point you wouldn't be able to match the count with beats anymore. Or you could also ask your teacher, as probably you haven't caught with triplets yet... Anyway, up to you. I promise this is my last post about it.

I think his teacher will notice this issue and correct him. That's the typical thing teachers correct.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 135
Streak: 135

I did, but some things are not that obvious to all of us smile

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I think his teacher will notice this issue and correct him. That's the typical thing teachers correct.

More than likely smile Got my lesson tomorrow, and probably won't have time to really work on changing anything about it.

In the meantime, I went and got Someone Like You recorded! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPXBU7AE4fI

Practice will be very sparse the next few days, but let's see how it goes smile

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 136
Streak: 136

Very quick practice today, playing to a crapton of people! Good fun for sure smile More about the event later, I reaaaaally need some sleep, slept an hour the last 2 days T_T

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 137
Streak: 137

Event is almost done! Besides the small window of time I get to play something to wake people up, not much going on. This the the point I realize how much I love playing the piano and how much I miss being able to play for longer! Just one more day before everything goes back to normal. Can't waittt!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 138
Streak: 138

Last day of just maintaining pieces and feeling like I didn't get anything done! Tomorrow I should have enough time to start thinking about what's next and resume normal times. Plenty of things to catch up in uni because of the event but I should be able to do it all if I manage my time properly (fingers crossed haha.)

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 139
Streak: 139

Trudging along on Alfred's Morning has Broken, had about an hour of practice on it today and it feels rather simple compared to some of the more recent stuff, which given that I haven't been able to practice much at all is actually very encouraging! But right now... study study study!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 140
Streak: 140

Ahhh it feels good to have a little bit of a breather to relax and play some piano smile

Here's a quick video of Morning has Broken: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hcw09w0hbM

Think I'll dosome more Alfred's before doing more pieces from other sources. I'm also very strongly considering not continuing to see this teacher. I don't feel like she's being particularly helpful in tackling the areas I struggle with, and very very vague when it comes to structuring my practice. I feel like that'd be the bare minimum from a teacher... and it's just not quite there.

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 141
Streak: 141

Well, La Bamba feels like a pretty big step up in difficulty! Holy moly. I definitely wasn't expecting it to be this challenging haha. It really doesn't feel like it belongs in this section of the book, but I'll gladly embrace the challenge! Practice went alright, but this feels like it'll be a lot longer than the usual Alfred piece.

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 142
Streak: 142

Bit more practice on La Bamba, some bits are starting to feel more natural, even if chaining them right now feels really clunky. Still not sure what this piece is doing at this place, but I shall persevere!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 143
Streak: 143

Okay, starting to see light at the end of the tunnel with La Bamba! There's no bit I haven't gotten properly by itself, now it's just a matter of getting it all together smile Should still be a couple of days, but definitely soon!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 144
Streak: 144

Still ironing out La Bamba, but it's surely coming along rather nicely. Decided to drop out the current teacher I had, she wasn't making me feel comfortable as of late, I almost felt like I was being teased, and when I asked her questions I assumed any teacher should be able to help out with, she wasn't very straightforward at all.

With my currently available time and how much stress those lessons were bringing, I might do without for a while. I know that's not the popular opinion, but I think having that on top of all the things I have on my plate at the moment wouldn't be at all wise.

H
H
Hi Ankee,

Dreading a lesson is no way to study piano. Good materials and recording yourself, as you do, to provide objective feedback can go a long way until you find an instructor that's a good fit.

Inspiring posts,
Happy practicing,

Holly by the Lake

but think how good I could be in five years...
W
W
Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
Hi Ankee,

Dreading a lesson is no way to study piano...

I was going to say something along the same lines... A lesson is exactly the time when you ask your questions, get satisfying answers and level down your mistakes. I can't say I was ever dreading my lessons with my first two teachers, but still, every time it was like struggling to understand how I could get things right, and above all it was only 30 minutes, barely enough time to point things out. Now I'm always looking forward to my next one hour lesson, every time my teacher has already a plan ready for me about things to go over, he takes notes, I'm always encouraged to ask and we spend as much time as needed over my questions. I can see first hand my progress now. Also, we've been using an app where each day I get my homework which can also be recorded, he can check what I've been doing every day and gives me suggestions, and it has helped to more than double my practicing time. After 5 months I have progressed by leaps and bounds (nothing remotely comparable to my previous 2 years), So, I suppose dealing with an unsatisfying teacher is not much better than not having one at all (and it could potentially be worse). So Ankee, keep on searching and meanwhile don't lose your enthusiasm. smile

Korg SP-170S
[Linked Image]
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 145
Streak: 145

Originally Posted by HollyBytheLake
Hi Ankee,

Dreading a lesson is no way to study piano. Good materials and recording yourself, as you do, to provide objective feedback can go a long way until you find an instructor that's a good fit.

Inspiring posts,
Happy practicing,

Holly by the Lake

It had been feeling that way for a while now, like she laughed every time I didn't know something or got something wrong. It's really not something that contributed to me enjoying the piano at all. I'll be looking to find a different teacher once things calm down, hopefully I'll find someone that makes me want to play more rather than less smile
Thank you for your kind words! Same goes to you smile

Okay, I think I've gotten the general hang of the piece now, enough that I've recorded it. Still definitely a ton harder than anything I had touched before, it's been fun learning it, and I'll keep at it for a while still, but it does feel like a pretty big achievement to have it remind of my childhood smile

La Bamba -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rO5iqxGeks

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 147
Streak: 147

It's honestly very refreshing to be playing just because I want to! It makes me want to play a lot more. Going to probably do a few more Alfred pieces before moving on to something different, having them be "graded" and in order makes it rather fun to go back to Alfred from time to time and seeing how I'm doing.

University will be odd as we're not sure what'll be done with regards to the virus. It has just been closed for an undetermined amount of time, which will be at the very least 2 weeks. Should give me time to catch up on studies at least!

A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 148
Streak: 148

Jolly Good Fellow was easy as expected, should be good to keep this one ready for social events haha.

link -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxCAIXF91U

Mexican Hat Dance is next and oh boy that looks like another wall to climb! Should have a bit more time to play these next few days so let's get to itttt!

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Day 148
Streak: 148

Jolly Good Fellow was easy as expected, should be good to keep this one ready for social events haha.

link -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxCAIXF91U

Mexican Hat Dance is next and oh boy that looks like another wall to climb! Should have a bit more time to play these next few days so let's get to itttt!

If you want to keep ‘Jolly Good Fellow’ work on increasing the tempo a little. Your guide should be how fast you would sing it.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
A
Ankee Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Day 149
Streak: 149

Originally Posted by dogperson

If you want to keep ‘Jolly Good Fellow’ work on increasing the tempo a little. Your guide should be how fast you would sing it.

That's a very interesting point! I think in Portugal we actually sing it slightly slower than the original. I hadn't even bothered checking the original because I assumed it'd be the exact same tempo. I'll work on increasing it a little bit, it makes sense to keep the original, thank you!

Mexican Hat Dance is... imposing to say the least. Still trying to get my fingers to properly play the third line, but coming along smile I can see it taking quite a while to get the whole song, but I'm having so much fun learning at the moment that I don't mind that one bit.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Yamaha CX series vs Boston
by GraceTuraco - 04/20/21 09:15 PM
Thinking of buying a 2007 Yamaha G2 5'7" Grand
by Teresa100 - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
Estonia L190 Bass Scale
by mbd - 04/20/21 07:52 PM
A closer look at the Feurich 'Vienna' 123 model
by oswaldpeters - 04/20/21 04:22 PM
generic name for Mellotron
by TheophilusCarter - 04/20/21 03:24 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,431
Posts3,084,688
Members101,254
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission