2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2952751 02/28/20 10:23 PM
I
OP Offline
I
https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=40178

I was browsing PianoMart and came across this ad for a Steinway D. It seems like a solid piano on the surface, but it does include a PianoDisc. I was wondering if I were to remove the PianoDisc system, what effect would it have on the touch and sound of the piano?

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Ouch! There's another owner/seller who didn't fold the front lid back before propping the lid. Ouch!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
BDB Offline
B
I do not think that the PianoDisc system makes any difference to the touch, and any change in the sound would be negligible. You could just as well leave it.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2952867 02/29/20 10:33 AM
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
I do not think that the PianoDisc system makes any difference to the touch, and any change in the sound would be negligible. You could just as well leave it.

thumb +1 Especially if the PianoDisc system still works.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The devil is in the details. Leaving the system will not negatively affect the pianos performance. If you choose, to remove any of it, remove the control box, power supply, speakers and extra wiring, but leave the piston rail and pedal trapwork. The remainder of the system occupies the holes created for installation. Removing those requires filling the holes and replacing all of the trapwork. Additionally, you would need to re-regulate the action.

You may need to have the solonoid rail dropped slightly and then re-regulate. That depends on whether the back of the keys are riding on the solonoids.

Also, there is more than one type of installation. The normal installation for most systems requires a long slot, and moderate cutting of the key frame. Some installs require a much larger slot and major modification to the keyframe that must be reinforced to be stable. We have quite a few hesitations about the long term structural affect of these wide slot installs.

To remove the system, fill holes, replace the trapwork, repair the keyframe and put the piano back like there never was a system...that's a big expense that not many shops do. We're seeing more requests for it, because of the perception of the player system tends to devalue instruments larger than 6' long on the resale market. For some pianos, that cost is still worth it.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Just a thought...

In 1978 there were a lot of bad Steinways made and Ds were no exception to this. Just because it was beloved to this person does not make it a good piano. It would also fall into the teflon years, in case that issue has not yet been dealt with.

Just a caution.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Ouch! There's another owner/seller who didn't fold the front lid back before propping the lid. Ouch!..."

And the curtains are ugly, too. Plus what Rich and Sam said.

Keep shopping.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 03/06/20 01:24 PM.

Clef

J
J
Originally Posted by BruceD
Ouch! There's another owner/seller who didn't fold the front lid back before propping the lid. Ouch!

Regards,

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there damage?

OP, as I understand it, the tech puts small thin sheets of metals on the bottom of each key. Piano disc uses magnetic power to pull down the keys, so it didnt change the action. It seems l like I heard that maybe the pedals can feel a little different.

I'm not 100% sure about this, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Jack Moody; 03/06/20 08:11 PM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jack Moody

Regards,

OP, as I understand it, the tech puts small thin sheets of metals on the bottom of each key. Piano disc uses magnetic power to pull down the keys, so it didnt change the action. It seems l like I heard that maybe the pedals can feel a little different.

Just an amateur here but as I understand it, it’s an older PianoDisc system that doesn’t have all the latest and greatest system sensor improvements that the newer systems have. The system is attached to a Steinway D, which until the Spirio system was introduced, was a professional concert level instrument on which the majority of the buyers wouldn’t want a PianoDisc systems installed. Even though the outdated system doesn’t affect the sound or the action it detracts from the Steinway just by being attached. Rich Galassini in his post mentioned that the piano may not be of the same build quality that Steinway is noted for because of the year that particular Steinway was produced.

But it is a Steinway D at a tempting price. If I was in the area, had the room, didn’t already own the piano of my dreams, I’d certainly drive out and at least try it.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
j&j #2954971 03/06/20 09:50 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by j&j

Regards,

Just an amateur here but as I understand it, it’s an older PianoDisc system that doesn’t have all the latest and greatest system sensor improvements that the newer systems have. The system is attached to a Steinway D, which until the Spirio system was introduced, was a professional concert level instrument on which the majority of the buyers wouldn’t want a PianoDisc systems installed. Even though the outdated system doesn’t affect the sound or the action it detracts from the Steinway just by being attached. Rich Galassini in his post mentioned that the piano may not be of the same build quality that Steinway is noted for because of the year that particular Steinway was produced.

But it is a Steinway D at a tempting price. If I was in the area, had the room, didn’t already own the piano of my dreams, I’d certainly drive out and at least try it.

Thanks, Some of those older systems can be updated to an iPad system, but again I don't know a lot of details. Also, I guess it doesn't matter either way if someone just hates it being there.

I was curious about the comment about the owner not folding back the front lid before propping it up. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Is there viable damage in fir pictures?

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I was curious about the comment about the owner not folding back the front lid before propping it up. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Is there viable damage in fir pictures?

There is no visible damage, but the front lid is not designed to have the lid raised without the front lid being folded back. The piano hinge that holds the front lid to the lid isn't supposed to have the weight of the front lid hanging from it. The failure mode would be that the screws on the piano hinge pull out and the front lid separates from the lid, or the hinge might be deformed. I agree with the other poster, it does make me wince when I look at it.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the free gift!

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I’m surprised that no one has mentioned the free gift!

I’ve seen that mentioned on one or two other PianoMart postings from verified sellers. Maybe a free microfiber dust mitt?

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by MarkL

There is no visible damage, but the front lid is not designed to have the lid raised without the front lid being folded back. The piano hinge that holds the front lid to the lid isn't supposed to have the weight of the front lid hanging from it. The failure mode would be that the screws on the piano hinge pull out and the front lid separates from the lid, or the hinge might be deformed. I agree with the other poster, it does make me wince when I look at it.

Wow, I own a grand piano and I had never heard that. I hadn't given it any thought.

Where do people learn this? Do pianos come with instructions booklets that contain warnings?

I'm not in front of my piano right now, but I will look at it in a few. I can understand that it would have more stress on it with the front lid down while the lid is propped up, but you would think they would use proper materials to withstand the stress.

No doubt, the lid hinges, on the side, have more stress when the lid is propped up, but they are fine.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MarkL

Wow, I own a grand piano and I had never heard that. I hadn't given it any thought.

Where do people learn this? Do pianos come with instructions booklets that contain warnings?

I'm not in front of my piano right now, but I will look at it in a few. I can understand that it would have more stress on it with the front lid down while the lid is propped up, but you would think they would use proper materials to withstand the stress.

No doubt, the lid hinges, on the side, have more stress when the lid is propped up, but they are fine.

When I bought my first baby grand, the salesman showed me how to safely open and close the lid, which stick went where, and what to use to clean it. In my book, folding back the fly lid is one of the first steps. Silly me, but it would never occur to me to open the lid without folding the fly lid back.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission