2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
N
Originally Posted by Jethro
I’m finding out more about my own piano after I bought it than before I purchased.

It's always enjoyable to read how much a fellow PW forum member is loving his/her piano. grin

Now that you've had your piano for some time and became really familiar with it, have you gone back to showrooms and tried other premium pianos again, such as Bosendorfer, Bluthner, Bechtein, Steinway, Grotrian, Yamaha CF, etc? Compared to before the purchase, I bet you must be noticing many more small details today.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by noyes
I’m finding out more about my own piano after I bought it than before I purchased.

It's always enjoyable to read how much a fellow PW forum member is loving his/her piano. grin

Now that you've had your piano for some time and became really familiar with it, have you gone back to showrooms and tried other premium pianos again, such as Bosendorfer, Bluthner, Bechtein, Steinway, Grotrian, Yamaha CF, etc? Compared to before the purchase, I bet you must be noticing many more small details today.

Perhaps like me, Jethro is no longer allowed to peruse high end piano shops anymore. laugh

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Hakki
In case I missed, did you post a recording using C2s in A-B setup?

Not yet Hakki. The one problem I have with my Shigeru is that I only get to play it on the weekends because I'm away at work and am forced to play my VPC-1 during the week. Soon, I will get a recording out when I get the time.

N
N
Originally Posted by j&j
Perhaps like me, Jethro is no longer allowed to peruse high end piano shops anymore. laugh

You mean Jethro's "high end piano shop visit pass" got suspended by his wife cool

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

It is an enjoyable experience Noyes getting a new piano, but I don't know if you are aware of how I ended up with this piano. I bought it on the spot unexpectedly when I went to a dealer who was relocating. I was just there to pick up my digital piano and he asked me to sit down and try the Shigeru Kawai SK2 he still had available. I actually declined a couple of times because I figured I would like it and all it would do is spoil my enjoyment of my RX-2 but since I couldn't afford it why bother I thought? He insisted so I tried it and of course the experience blew me away and somehow I ended up buying it on the spot because it was surprisingly affordable and I figured I would be able to sell my RX-2 because of their strong resale value.

As for those other fine brands you mention, other than some Steinways, Mason and Hamlins I practiced on at conservatories and a couple of nice Estonias, I haven't tried any of those fine makes because I figure why bother, I probably can't afford them anyway (but now I am thinking, maybe I could have-... no, probably not). I do listen to recordings of those pianos and they are such beautiful instruments as well. I'm just so happy that I can actually own a fine hand built instrument built to uncompromising standards and I did not have to sell the farm. There are so many fine pianos that I'm sure I can be happy with but for me, affordability was paramount in my decision.

BUT, now that I do own a fine instrument maybe I will try other makes just to enjoy all they have to offer as well. I think that would be fun.

Plus wouldn't it be fun to start a new thread like you bought a ______ when you could have bought a Shigeru? laugh

Last edited by Jethro; 03/06/20 03:06 PM.
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j

You mean Jethro's "high end piano shop visit pass" got suspended by his wife cool

I never had one to begin with!

N
N

It is an enjoyable experience Noyes getting a new piano, but I don't know if you are aware of how I ended up with this piano. I bought it on the spot unexpectedly when I went to a dealer who was relocating. I was just there to pick up my digital piano and he asked me to sit down and try the Shigeru Kawai SK2 he still had available. I actually declined a couple of times because I figured I would like it and all it would do is spoil my enjoyment of my RX-2 but since I couldn't afford it why bother I thought? He insisted so I tried it and of course the experience blew me away and somehow I ended up buying it on the spot because it was surprisingly affordable and I figured I would be able to sell my RX-2 because of their strong resale value.

As for those other fine brands you mention, other than some Steinways, Mason and Hamlins I practiced on at conservatories and a couple of nice Estonias, I haven't tried any of those fine makes because I figure why bother, I probably can't afford them anyway (but now I am thinking, maybe I could have-... no, probably not). I do listen to recordings of those pianos and they are such beautiful instruments as well. I'm just so happy that I can actually own a fine hand built instrument built to uncompromising standards and I did not have to sell the farm. There are so many fine pianos that I'm sure I can be happy with but for me, affordability was paramount in my decision.

BUT, now that I do own a fine instrument maybe I will try other makes just to enjoy all they have to offer as well. I think that would be fun.

Plus wouldn't it be fun to start a new thread like you bought a ______ when you could have bought a Shigeru? laugh

What matters most is you love the piano, it brings a unique sense of joy that few other things in life can compare. Yes I am familiar with how you obtained your piano, it is one of the many delightful stories read here on the forum.

It would be a fun comparison and I would highly recommend you to try out some of the top brands (new pianos, not from practice rooms), just to see what is available out there and more interestingly, whether you can tell any difference, quality related or not, compared to your SK2. (Rest assured, we won't tell your wife)

Other than "make sure have a technician look it over", one of the most frequently mentioned advise to piano shoppers is "don't worry much about the brand, choose the exact piano YOU love the most". However unless someone has had extensive prior experience around many many different pianos, it will likely be very difficult if not impossible to pin down the ONE he/she loves the most. Being an adult beginner myself, when I first started piano shopping I soon noticed my own feeling dramatically changed from one day to another. On one trip I may find a piano that completely blew me away, only to find out a couple of weeks later sitting in front of the same piano wondering what made me love it so much. Or for several months I firmly believed I could never play a Kawai because of the heavy touch, until one day I sat down in front of a Shigeru one more time and surprisingly it didn't feel heavy at all. I immediately tried all the Shigerus (at least 7 or 8 of them) in the same room and guess what, none of them felt heavy at all. I realized that reflected the lack of experience on my part more than anything else.

So yeah, now with the SK2 as your benchmark, why not try out those top brands and share with us what you think. If you like some other brand better, let us know why. Or if you think the SK2 is on par or even better, how much of it is objective and how much is due to you are now used to playing your own piano?

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J

What matters most is you love the piano, it brings a unique sense of joy that few other things in life can compare. Yes I am familiar with how you obtained your piano, it is one of the many delightful stories read here on the forum.

It would be a fun comparison and I would highly recommend you to try out some of the top brands (new pianos, not from practice rooms), just to see what is available out there and more interestingly, whether you can tell any difference, quality related or not, compared to your SK2. (Rest assured, we won't tell your wife)

Other than "make sure have a technician look it over", one of the most frequently mentioned advise to piano shoppers is "don't worry much about the brand, choose the exact piano YOU love the most". However unless someone has had extensive prior experience around many many different pianos, it will likely be very difficult if not impossible to pin down the ONE he/she loves the most. Being an adult beginner myself, when I first started piano shopping I soon noticed my own feeling dramatically changed from one day to another. On one trip I may find a piano that completely blew me away, only to find out a couple of weeks later sitting in front of the same piano wondering what made me love it so much. Or for several months I firmly believed I could never play a Kawai because of the heavy touch, until one day I sat down in front of a Shigeru one more time and surprisingly it didn't feel heavy at all. I immediately tried all the Shigerus (at least 7 or 8 of them) in the same room and guess what, none of them felt heavy at all. I realized that reflected the lack of experience on my part more than anything else.

So yeah, now with the SK2 as your benchmark, why not try out those top brands and share with us what you think. If you like some other brand better, let us know why. Or if you think the SK2 is on par or even better, how much of it is objective and how much is due to you are now used to playing your own piano?

From everything I can gather a Shigeru Kawai is built to the same high standards where it actually matters compared to any other premium piano even if they cost say 3-5X as much. And when it comes to customer satisfaction and follow-up it seems like Shigeru goes over the top in that department. So I think when it comes to what I might like better in one brand over the other it would all come down to just my opinion. All these pianos you mention are extraordinary and gorgeous pianos, I think I would something I like in each of them. It would be hard to choose between them but if I had to make a choice I would just go with the one that offered me the best value.

I don't think I share the same romantic feelings that some appear to have when it comes to choosing an instrument. I feel a lot of it is determined by room acoustics, the mood I'm in that day, and the kind of music I'm playing. I don't really care much about the name on the fall board or the status symbol that it may confer if I bought an "iconic" brand. In the end, it's just a piano. But I do notice that as one moves towards what people refer to as "premium" models, there are noticeable improvements that come with better wood and other materials. Each of these premium pianos have their signature sounds but what differentiates them from mass production pianos is the richness, complexity, clarity, and fullness of that signature sound and it's even across the entire keyboard. Of course the actions are usually much better and the pianos are better prepped in the factory.

But to me a piano just represents a "voice" and it's up to the pianist to actually make it "sing" and that's what I find enjoyable and "romantic" about the piano. It's not searching for the "one" piano that speaks to me, but to make a connection with the instrument whatever that instrument may be. I could be perfectly happy with a beat up old upright because somewhere in there I enjoy finding its voice and I try to do something with it in the music I play. I've been doing that since I was a child. I still haven't made a solid connection with my new Shigeru though I can obviously hear what it's capable of. It could take years to understand its voice and how to make it really sing. I'm still developing a relationship with my new piano.

What I do appreciate about the Shigeru Kawai though in particular, is that this piano company pulled out all the stops in building me an exceptional instrument, one with a beautiful voice and they didn't ask too much from me other than to enjoy it. They don't over market their instruments or artificially inflate their cost more than what they are actually worth. I appreciate the old world craftsmanship, the old world tradition where the artisan has full pride in the work they do and they try to make a connection with the person they have built the piano for. That means something to me. It means they still understand that the piano is an art form and their role is to build the finest instruments available and make them attainable for many so that that art form can survive.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Jethro- that’s a very well written post about your Shigeru piano. In fact it’s an appropriately romantic appreciation letter about Kawai pianos, especially the Shigeru line. We’re glad you found your dream piano.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
Jethro- that’s a very well written post about your Shigeru piano. In fact it’s an appropriately romantic appreciation letter about Kawai pianos, especially the Shigeru line. We’re glad you found your dream piano.

Hi J&J. I still don't know if I have that kind of connection with my instrument to call it a "dream". I don't think I could make a connection with an inanimate object like that, but I do see it as a work of art, a fine instrument, and the product of somebody's hard work and dedication. I guess you could say my posting of my experience with my new Shigeru was a sort of "thank you" to Shigeru Kawai. I feel I owe it to the company, one of the reasons was that I was always fortunate perhaps by chance to land a great deal (It always seemed like it was meant to be) and two I really don't think many people are really aware of the extent to which Shigeru Kawai ensures that what we receive is an exceptional instrument.

The one thing I forgot to mention in this entire thread was the actual master artisan who crafted my piano. His name was Masato Suzuki.

I received a brochure with his picture and hand signed by him. His bio read: "This Limited Edition hand crafted instrument has been perfected by an elite brand of craftsman. As one of Kawai's select Master Piano Artisans, Masato Suzuki stands at the pinnacle of his profession. With remarkable skills proven in the world's finest concert halls and international piano competitions, he brings a wealth of experience and passion to his craft.

Having refined his talents in Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Belgium, Mr Suzuki has serves as Artist/Technician at many of the most prestigious international competitions including the Citta di Cantu (Italy), the Paloma Oshea Santander (Spain), the George Enesco (Romania) and the Paulo Monopoli (Italy).

After applying his master's touch to this Shigeru piano, Mr Suzuki has added his name to the instrument's rich pedigree as a symbol of devotion and pride.

We invite you to experience the artistry of Masato Suzuki."

There's a video series on Amazon featuring James May from Top Gear called "James May, Our Man in Japan" and after watching this series where he visits several wonderful places through most the main islands in Japan, my wife and I decided we will have to take a trip one day to Japan. When I am there, I would like to visit this factory and hopefully get to meet Mr Suzuki and personally thank him for the fine instrument he built for me.

Last edited by Jethro; 03/07/20 02:16 PM.
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think the whole “buying a new Shigeru” experience is meant to give you, the owner, a special connection to your individual piano, the craftsman that built it, and the whole Kawai company. Besides getting a long visit from a master technician to voice, tune, and regulate your piano to your exact taste in sound and touch, with a gift boxed key, your name is engraved on a plaque in the Shigeru factory and you’re given a signed brochure from the artisan who built your Shigeru. I’d bet you’re well on your way in becoming connected to your piano. I have to say, I’m really impressed with Kawai’s commitment to their customers.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by j&j
I think the whole “buying a new Shigeru” experience is meant to give you, the owner, a special connection to your individual piano, the craftsman that built it, and the whole Kawai company. Besides getting a long visit from a master technician to voice, tune, and regulate your piano to your exact taste in sound and touch, with a gift boxed key, your name is engraved on a plaque in the Shigeru factory and you’re given a signed brochure from the artisan who built your Shigeru. I’d bet you’re well on your way in becoming connected to your piano. I have to say, I’m really impressed with Kawai’s commitment to their customers.

Yes, I think I definitely have a connection with what a Shigeru Kawai represents as a fine piano builder with uncompromising standards and dedication towards each individual who buys one of their instruments, but I think I can make a connection with many different pianos as instruments. At least that's how I feel about it. I enjoy the experience of playing my piano but I don't have "grand obsession" over my specific piano or was there ever an obsession in finding that "one" piano that "speaks to me", or a specific brand. I believe lots can be done to a piano following to purchase to fine tune it to anyone's liking. I'm very practical that way but also feel that it's all about the music and what I do with the instrument that will ultimately matter and should be the focus of my obsession, not the object itself. That's why I still go to lessons every week and practice. What I appreciate about Shigeru Kawai as a company is that made an ultra-fine hand made instrument attainable to someone who has an obsession with eventually becoming a better musician and they did it in a traditional old world, attention to details fashion. But I do agree, Shigeru Kawai's are premier instruments at the upper echelons of piano building. They might not have the prestige of a Fazioli or a Steinway, but where it matters as a musician you can't go wrong with one of them.

Last edited by Jethro; 03/07/20 05:18 PM.
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Also I think what I also like is their respect for tradition and the honor they find in building fine instruments for individuals whom they find it important to know and relate with at some level. You as a buyer are not just a number or a statistic. We never see our names on that wall but the artisans do. I like the fact that they have pride in their work.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Jethro, your feelings towards the company is not fanboy bias. I’ll share with you a personal experience of mine. When I purchased my SK in 2015, the lyre had a defect, which I brought to my dealer’s and the company’s attention. I was given the choice to have my dealer replace the lyre or opt to have it done during my MPA visit, which would be over a year down the road. I opted for the latter and the company made note of it in their records. Fast forward a year later and Don Mannino reached out to me to schedule my MPA visit. I reminded him about the lyre replacement and ho told me it was already noted and said it would be done.

On the day of my MPA visit, I greeted Terry Otake at my home and mentioned the lyre needing replacement. He was perplexed and indicated he did not have a replacement lyre with him. Of course, I was disappointed, but he made a call to Mr. Mannino to find out what had happened. Apparently, my lyre was sitting at the headquarters and someone forgot to mention it to the MPA before he was en route to my home. Mr. Mannino spoke to me and assured me that they would have a Kawai technician resolve this at a later date for subsequent service. After I got off the phone with him, Mr. Otake proceeded to work on my piano. About an hour and a half later, my doorbell rang and lo and behold, it was Don Mannino! He had my lyre in his hand and told me it was a slow Friday so he thought he’d drive it out to me. Now, I live about 30 miles one way from Kawai headquarters and Friday afternoon traffic is not exactly an easy commute out here in Southern California. That experience blew me away and made me a fan for life!! Today, my SK continues to bring nothing but great joy and appreciation for the inspiration I get playing it. Each year, I still appreciate the handwritten Christmas cards the company’s team greets me with. And anytime I have a question, they promptly address it via email. Kudos to SK and to Don Mannino for their outstanding commitment to the overall client experience. First class all the way!!

I am very impressed with the level of commitment and service described in my thread. A fantastic blend of quality control, customer appreciation, experience enhancement and marketing that must pay huge dividends for the company as well as the customer. But I wonder - how many customers are not able to take full advantage of the service? I’m reminded of the scene in Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise says he lacks the vocabulary to tell Robert DiNero what’s wrong with the race car. I think I would fall in that category. I’m a total hack when it comes to playing the piano but I love to play and appreciate good sound over bad. I’m just not sure I could explain what I like, or know enough of the range of sound to know what is possible and ask for it.

Yamaha C1
J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Grandman
Jethro, your feelings towards the company is not fanboy bias. I’ll share with you a personal experience of mine. When I purchased my SK in 2015, the lyre had a defect, which I brought to my dealer’s and the company’s attention. I was given the choice to have my dealer replace the lyre or opt to have it done during my MPA visit, which would be over a year down the road. I opted for the latter and the company made note of it in their records. Fast forward a year later and Don Mannino reached out to me to schedule my MPA visit. I reminded him about the lyre replacement and ho told me it was already noted and said it would be done.

On the day of my MPA visit, I greeted Terry Otake at my home and mentioned the lyre needing replacement. He was perplexed and indicated he did not have a replacement lyre with him. Of course, I was disappointed, but he made a call to Mr. Mannino to find out what had happened. Apparently, my lyre was sitting at the headquarters and someone forgot to mention it to the MPA before he was en route to my home. Mr. Mannino spoke to me and assured me that they would have a Kawai technician resolve this at a later date for subsequent service. After I got off the phone with him, Mr. Otake proceeded to work on my piano. About an hour and a half later, my doorbell rang and lo and behold, it was Don Mannino! He had my lyre in his hand and told me it was a slow Friday so he thought he’d drive it out to me. Now, I live about 30 miles one way from Kawai headquarters and Friday afternoon traffic is not exactly an easy commute out here in Southern California. That experience blew me away and made me a fan for life!! Today, my SK continues to bring nothing but great joy and appreciation for the inspiration I get playing it. Each year, I still appreciate the handwritten Christmas cards the company’s team greets me with. And anytime I have a question, they promptly address it via email. Kudos to SK and to Don Mannino for their outstanding commitment to the overall client experience. First class all the way!!

That's a great story Grandman! Nice to know that level of customer care is so consistent. Don Mannino is definitely committed to providing excellent customer care for Shigeru owners in the US!

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Tgrshrk99
I am very impressed with the level of commitment and service described in my thread. A fantastic blend of quality control, customer appreciation, experience enhancement and marketing that must pay huge dividends for the company as well as the customer. But I wonder - how many customers are not able to take full advantage of the service? I’m reminded of the scene in Days of Thunder where Tom Cruise says he lacks the vocabulary to tell Robert DiNero what’s wrong with the race car. I think I would fall in that category. I’m a total hack when it comes to playing the piano but I love to play and appreciate good sound over bad. I’m just not sure I could explain what I like, or know enough of the range of sound to know what is possible and ask for it.

Well, as you can see from my opening post, as an amateur pianist I didn't know if I could express what I wanted from my Shigeru to the MPA so I used those videos I posted to give him a sense of what I wanted. BTW I just saw Joyce Yang last night perform the Rach 3 (or Rocky 3) as she referred to it in St. Petersburg, FL. Just a reminder to me of how woefully inept I feel at the piano sometimes. She was amazing!

K
K
Sorry for the bad links, but just wanted to add if look at the corner of the room near the window seat you can see the bass traps I stacked in the corner. My wife and I think they are beautiful and unobtrusive for acoustical treatments.

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums...7B920BE-420E-40A8-AAB5-1B867502283D.jpeg

That's this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKH9WH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It made a great difference in controlling mid to upper frequencies in this cove:

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/andykallur/IMG_2108.jpg

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, thank you! I'm so happy for you! I do have a question about the bass traps you mentioned. I'm the owner of a Kawai GX-2 purchased almost 10 months ago (see "New GX-2 disappointment" post). I've tried a few minor things to alleviate the high frequency treble notes and generally uneven treble sound (heavy blanket on the bay window, blankets, foam and cat bed under the piano, moving and angling the piano away from the wall...) I thought moving the piano had helped but now I'm not sure. Seems to sound better in the morning (though still not great). I'm wondering what difference the bass traps made in your room. It looks like they're stacked one on top of the other (4 in total) in one corner, is that correct?. I can order them on Amazon.com with delivery to Canada ($240 CAD + import duties?) with delivery only in April. My technician is coming over on March 30 for a tuning and another hour of voicing (he's been here twice since last June). I'm just not sure how much of a difference the bass traps will make. I realize you can't know, but knowing a little more about what you have noticed would be helpful. Thanks again!

J
Jethro Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Katieji
Sorry for the bad links, but just wanted to add if look at the corner of the room near the window seat you can see the bass traps I stacked in the corner. My wife and I think they are beautiful and unobtrusive for acoustical treatments.

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums...7B920BE-420E-40A8-AAB5-1B867502283D.jpeg

That's this product:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MKH9WH9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It made a great difference in controlling mid to upper frequencies in this cove:

https://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k383/andykallur/IMG_2108.jpg

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, thank you! I'm so happy for you! I do have a question about the bass traps you mentioned. I'm the owner of a Kawai GX-2 purchased almost 10 months ago (see "New GX-2 disappointment" post). I've tried a few minor things to alleviate the high frequency treble notes and generally uneven treble sound (heavy blanket on the bay window, blankets, foam and cat bed under the piano, moving and angling the piano away from the wall...) I thought moving the piano had helped but now I'm not sure. Seems to sound better in the morning (though still not great). I'm wondering what difference the bass traps made in your room. It looks like they're stacked one on top of the other (4 in total) in one corner, is that correct?. I can order them on Amazon.com with delivery to Canada ($240 CAD + import duties?) with delivery only in April. My technician is coming over on March 30 for a tuning and another hour of voicing (he's been here twice since last June). I'm just not sure how much of a difference the bass traps will make. I realize you can't know, but knowing a little more about what you have noticed would be helpful. Thanks again!

Hi Katieji I'm glad you enjoyed the thread. I kind of remember your situation with your new GX-2. My thoughts on it are if you liked the way the GX-2 sounded in the showroom then there's probably nothing wrong with your piano but your room is creating a bit of challenge to produce good acoustics. If I remember correctly you had long narrow room facing a bay window and ceramic tiles and hardwood floors. If it was me, I would probably first try the make the changes that would have the biggest impact first and to me that would be moving the piano in different locations and orientation until I found the sound that was most pleasant to me before even starting with modifying the acoustics in the room. Find 3 strong guys to help you and keep moving the piano in different locations in that room and trying different orientations until you find the one that works the best. All rooms are different and yours may be unique such as the normal advice doesn't work well for you. The normal advice being "Place a grand piano across a corner at a 45° angle to the walls at a distance one-fifth or one-third of the way between diagonal corners." https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/how-to-make-a-piano-room-sound-grand/

After you've determined the ideal location then I would start working on the acoustics of the room itself. It's not just going to be just one thing like bass traps that will get you the acoustics you want but you have to keep adding "layers". So if you look at my room the piano has the tail end 1/5 of the length of diagonal corners with the tail at a 45 degree angle to the walls. I have a thick rug under the piano. The piano lid opens to the right and I have two thickly upholstered lounge chairs on that half wall. There is a window seat with a thick upholstered padding on of it. I have a tree in the corner in front of the stacked bass traps now and I have included four acoustical panels that look similar to the bass traps on the wall where those lounge chairs are. There are hanging curtains over the windows. All of these things are cumulatively dampening the brightness of this particular room. The reflective hard surfaces like the windows and ceramic tiles created a lot resonance in this room so the room had to be really dampened. You can dampen sound by absorbing it or diffusing it. Some of the objects in my room including the hardwood window shutters, the tree, the artwork on left side of the piano and the acoustic panels/ bass traps diffuse the sound or in other words scatter the sound waves so they lose energy and cancel each out. The carpet, the upholstered furniture, the curtains they absorb the sound and basically kill it. You don't want that is overly dampened or the sound will be muted and less lively, but you don't want too much hard surfaces or excessive resonance becomes overbearing and harsh ie. too echoey.

Each time I added a feature (such as the bass traps) that either diffused or absorbed sound to my room, the effect was subtle but I could detect if I listened carefully. If I was to suddenly remove all of these features the effect would be noticed immediately. Short of installing wall to wall carpeting in your room I doubt any one thing would produce a a dramatic effect- again you have to keep adding layers. In your situation you may have to keep adding objects to dampen the acoustics of your room or you could keep adding acoustical wall panels but now your room looks like a recording studio. Regular objects bookshelves filled with books are excellent diffusers and sound sound absorbers. I think I posted a video of a grand in a room full of bookshelves that must produced excellent acoustics. Here it is. You just have to be creative, it doesn't have to be all bookshelves. It could be a large thick tapestry covering a wall for example.

Last edited by Jethro; 03/14/20 12:45 PM.
K
K
Thank you Jethro. I really appreciate you taking the time to describe the process of adding layers of diffusion/absorption to your room. I guess I was looking for the magic bullet...:) I did turn the piano to almost a 45 degree angle to the walls, but still the annoying bouncing around of sound persists. You made some good suggestions, I just need to try different things. And speak to the tech when he comes at the end of month.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission