2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
. . . Just wondering... read some articles, they said VPC1 will save a lot pain in the ass because the velocity setting is not hard to set with the VST. What if I connect with es8 or p515? any idea?

I can answer this for Pianoteq:

. . . setting up a "touch curve" -- mapping the keyboard's MIDI velocity (out) to Pianoteq's MIDI velocity (in) -- is really easy.

I think that's true for other VST's, but Pianoteq is the only one I've used.

So there's not much benefit, just because the VPC1 has built-in "custom touch curve" software. However, a lot of people really like it.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Setting up a touch curve with Pianoteq is particularly easy. I'd prefer to choose a keyboard based on the action.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Kyosho - have you tried playing the Yamaha P515, Roland FP90 and Kawai ES8 with just the built in speakers - you may find that the built in speakers are good enough for you - I was usually quite happy with the ES8 built in speakers when I was playing that.

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
> Cuz I see some people said the piano velocity (above link) is not as great, have to use VST to make it sound better. So I assume if there's something wrong with internal sound, no matter how good your external monitor is, it doesnt help?

Well if one doesn't like the internal sound engine, speakers can't fix this. In this range of DPs, speakers are not poor but still with considerable space and weight restrictions, hence quite inferior to a good external amp & monitors and typically the dominant cause of lacking sound.
You can tell with good headphones (which tend to cost roughly an order of magnitude less than good external speakers). If the internal sound over good headphones feels okay, start considering better external speakers. If you don't like the internal sound over good headphones, connect a computer with Garritan or Pianoteq. If you don't like messing with both external speakers and computers, make sure to spend enough time checking if you like the default sound before purchase.
And mind this is all very subjective - you shouldn't take other folks' prejudice you read on internet too seriously.
When I was comparing, the ES8 default sound over the built-in speakers seemed best to me in this range of slabs, while the similarly-priced CN39 had notably better speaker sound, and the speaker sound gets notably better again in the upper range of furniture DPs. For the key action in this range I preferred the FP90, and I liked the CN39 key action a lot too; while in the "no-limits" DP category I liked AvantGrands actions the most.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you like the piano's sound when listening with headphones, then there's hope that external speakers can improve over the internal ones.

But if you don't like the piano's sound on headphones, speakers won't cut it. You cannot take a lame piano sound and EQ it to make it good.

K
Kyosho Offline OP
OP Offline
K
This sounds amazing! ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afDnJzzZlnc

A p515 can never achieve that eh? But I can imagine it's inconvenient have to wait for the computer everytime you play as Chuck mentioned in his review. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZhxOmthd9U

Switched from a frustrated electone to satisfied piano player because there's no lack of music sheet for piano.
K
Kyosho Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Kyosho - have you tried playing the Yamaha P515, Roland FP90 and Kawai ES8 with just the built in speakers - you may find that the built in speakers are good enough for you - I was usually quite happy with the ES8 built in speakers when I was playing that.

@Morten Olsson
p515 - yes
fp90 - don't think I will like the sound cuz it's too thin
es8 - planning to...

What music do you play mostly? I know those who play classical enjoy it. But I like playing pop, and disney movies theme so on.. Not sure if it's suitable YET

Switched from a frustrated electone to satisfied piano player because there's no lack of music sheet for piano.
K
Kyosho Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If you like the piano's sound when listening with headphones, then there's hope that external speakers can improve over the internal ones.

But if you don't like the piano's sound on headphones, speakers won't cut it. You cannot take a lame piano sound and EQ it to make it good.

So when you buy a new dp, you have to try out the headphone sound also?

M
M
Originally Posted by Kyosho

You always have to evaluate the full package. And then you either like it or you don't. Doesn't make much difference if others like or dislike it...

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_

You can start picking by listening to online samples in comparison videos like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldvU8sv924
or preferably live at store, using GOOD headphones.
But if you plan to use the DP with built-in speakers, and for checking out the key action, testing in person with your fingers on the keys the piano is essential.
It is a very good idea to test at a store that has all relevant models available for testing, and to visit when it is not busy (noisy).
What you end up buying is usually a compromise of likes and dislikes.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson

@Morten Olsson
p515 - yes
fp90 - don't think I will like the sound cuz it's too thin
es8 - planning to...

What music do you play mostly? I know those who play classical enjoy it. But I like playing pop, and disney movies theme so on.. Not sure if it's suitable YET

Only classical :-)
The ES8 speakers weren't quite as loud as an acoustic piano but they certainly felt loud enough for day to day practice to me - and they didn't break up or distort at max volume.
All in all I really enjoyed playing the ES8 - both sound and action wise. Also I starts up in no time which turned out to be really important to me - made it so I could just sit down and play without having to wait for anything to boot etc.

K
Kyosho Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by _sem_

You can start picking by listening to online samples in comparison videos like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gldvU8sv924
or preferably live at store, using GOOD headphones.
But if you plan to use the DP with built-in speakers, and for checking out the key action, testing in person with your fingers on the keys the piano is essential.
It is a very good idea to test at a store that has all relevant models available for testing, and to visit when it is not busy (noisy).
What you end up buying is usually a compromise of likes and dislikes.

I had listened to it for many times b4 and didn't seem to hear any difference (by the pieces he played) for all 3 of them unfortunately lol

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_

I had listened to it for many times b4 and didn't seem to hear any difference (by the pieces he played) for all 3 of them unfortunately lol[/quote]

To be honest, I didn't notice much initially, so I had thought it was negligible.
But in person there is much more difference. Mainly due to the speakers, and a bit of it remains also over good headphones, and it turns one can't change everything it with adjustments.
I guess some is lost with audio compression for youtube-acceptable bitrate.
But with good headphones now I think there is some of this difference, even in these youtube samples.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by Gombessa
For one, many gigabytes of raw data. Garritan CFX has multiple mic perspectives, larger samples per note, longer samples, and pedal-down samples as well.

If thats the case, such a shame for Yamaha to rip us off this way!

It's not a Yamaha problem, it affects all the makers. Some here harbor stronger feelings against manufacturers, but IMO this is really just a consequence that we have commoditized general computing equipment; it's extremely cheap to get a PC or laptop that has more speed, more storage, more RAM, etc. than a dedicated standalone instrument, and we're willing to invest in these machines in a way we aren't with DPs. So nearly everyone has a PC that can run very taxing virtual instruments, but there are compromises that makes it not-so-easy to just stick a general purpose PC in a piano case and call it a day.

Take the Korg Krome. It has unlooped piano samples. Take the Yamaha Montage, it has a direct and fast link between the Flash storage and the dedicated sound generator.

I am sure that Yamaha can go forward and start to be compared with some VST. The technology is here !

But I have to see a quite slow improvement, even the quite recent N1X has only a 7 digits led display... when my Cookeo pressure cooker has a nice color display.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Yes ... and my $100 Keurig coffee maker has a better display than the N1X.
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
[... even the quite recent N1X has only a 7 digits led display... when my Cookeo pressure cooker has a nice color display.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
@MacMacMac : $100 vs. 170€... you win !

Last edited by Frédéric L; 03/04/20 03:36 PM.

Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
K
Kyosho Offline OP
OP Offline
K
If I connect either a p515 or es8 to the following, will the sound better or worse than a "Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitor" or "Tannoy reveal 502"? Any idea?

[Linked Image]

Powered subwoofer (S-DV77SW)
Amplifier SectionSurround
Front, Center, Rear ................................... 30 W, per channel(1 kHz, 1% T.H.D., 8Ω)Subwoofer ............................. 50W (100Hz, 1% T.H.D., 4Ω)

Continuous power output (RMS)
Front, Center, Rear .................................... 40W, per channel(1kHz, 10% T.H.D., 8Ω)Subwoofer ............................ 65W (100Hz 10% T.H.D., 4Ω)

Type .................. Bass reflex floor type, antimagnetic (EIAJ)
Speaker .............................. 16 cm (6-5/16 in.) (cone type)
Nominal impedance ........................................................ 4ΩFrequency range ......................................... 31 Hz to 300 Hz
Max. input ........................................................... 65 W (EIAJ)

That's a so-called "home theater" speaker system, isn't it?

As for your question ... will it sound better than a Yamaha HS5 or Tannoy 502 ... well, you'll have to hook them up, try them out, and tell us which is best.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A digital piano only output a stereo audio. A full 5.1 home theater is not needed.

The piano sound has few harmonics down to 27Hz. (A low C note will only emit 1% of the power at 32Hz... but ears detect a low frequency because the upper harmonics are multiple of 32Hz) you can go to a pair of 5” speakers, or perhaps a 8”. I am not sure the subwoofer is needed.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If I connect either a p515 or es8 to the following, will the sound better or worse than a "Yamaha HS5 Studio Monitor" or "Tannoy reveal 502"? Any idea?

This stuff is made for post-production audio, finished piano recordings you find on CDs and DVDs. Monitoring an instrument is a completely different task with different requirements.

You should also note, that you are expected to spread these speakers in your room multiple meters away from your listening place, while near-field monitors are made specifically to sound complete when being right in front of you.

Another thing to consider is that the built-in piano sample of the P-515 is adjusted to sound good on the built-in speakers. If you go with external monitors, you have some EQ work before you.

Yamaha P-515
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission