2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
One last vignette. I spent years developing film in a dark room. There are no safe lights for film, so, your eyes are open but you’re in complete darkness. You have to lay out everything before you turn off the lights, and, woe to you if you drop something. I’ve spent twenty minutes trying to find a canister of film that has rolled away on the floor.

Cutting film in the dark is a hazardous undertaking. Kiddie scissors are used because it is too easy to cut yourself with sharp scissors because you can’t see anything. The eyes help us learn motor movements.

It’s funny, after a long time in complete darkness, your eyes will open so wide that you’ll see tiny pin pricks of light, if your dark room is not perfectly sealed.

Last edited by LarryK; 02/26/20 05:18 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I started piano as an adult 10+ years ago. Yesterday I did a lot of learning on my own. Today I have a teacher at an intermediate level.

2 years ago I met a retired man who started playing piano for a few months. He had little music background except hearing his father play piano in his childhood. With no interest learning the basics including reading music, he started with Debussy "Clair de Lune" by imitating hand patterns from online videos. The piece I wanted to get into was Bach Contrapunctus Fugue #1 from "The Art of Fugue" BWB 1080. I would skip the pieces at the beginner's level and start working on this piece from day 1. Once I'm satisfied with the result, I'd make a recording and submit the piece to the next PW Recital #58.

Many years ago, I met 2 kids who was enrolled in Suzuki piano & violin. They played duets together quite well. In my younger days, many people play music because of their parents. Today I'm spending many hours a week in front of a keyboard mainly for personal interest. As more adults like myself get into playing music, We're part of the mature generation with a lot of life experiences. We're shattering the myth from Suzuki in the 20th century that the ideal age for starting piano is very young (before age 10). And everyone of us get rewarded because of hard work, not because we have special talents.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev

Originally Posted by MichaelJK
Why are you so interested in pleasing these "educated listeners"? I would much rather put my attention on people who don't know the score, and have never heard any other recording of the piece. At least there I have some small chance of success.

Really, is that fun for you? Trying to live up to the examples set by a tiny handful of ultra-famous artists, and failing miserably each time? It is impossible to please people whose mission in life is to judge others like that.

Oh, man, with that point of view it would be hard for you to perform in Russia. laugh

Oh, I don't doubt that at all... crazy

A Russian pianist friend of mine once said to me "man, you wouldn't survive one minute in Russia!"

Last edited by MichaelJK; 02/26/20 02:38 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I've always done 2,3,4, and 6. I never practised sight-reading, but I should have.

When doing no.3 I also just place my hands on the keys and pay great attention to the simplest movements, like ultra slow trills, concentrating on how it feels just to press and release my fingers.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Hmmmm, for some reason, after reading the exchanges and counter-exchanges, the accusations & counter-accusations in the past 24 hours on this thread, I felt compelled to get me a large bag of popcorn and settle down to munch, and this song (and 007) just popped into my head whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07Z_qfchFk

If music be the food of love, play on!
OP Offline
Originally Posted by johnstaf

When doing no.3 I also just place my hands on the keys and pay great attention to the simplest movements, like ultra slow trills, concentrating on how it feels just to press and release my fingers.

Nice! I'm curious: are there any experiences that caused you to start doing this kind of thing?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MichaelJK

Nice! I'm curious: are there any experiences that caused you to start doing this kind of thing?

Sometimes I'd practise and everything would be great, but then I'd sit down at the piano again and everything would sometimes be a mess. I figured that if I were to do the simplest thing possible, it would remind me what playing the piano feels like when it's really easy. It feels like recalibrating my playing machinery at the piano. After a while, I could get "in the zone", where there was no mental tension, and I'd be back to playing well again.

OP Offline

Sometimes I'd practise and everything would be great, but then I'd sit down at the piano again and everything would sometimes be a mess. I figured that if I were to do the simplest thing possible, it would remind me what playing the piano feels like when it's really easy. It feels like recalibrating my playing machinery at the piano. After a while, I could get "in the zone", where there was no mental tension, and I'd be back to playing well again.

That's fantastic.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
The original question boxes the compass because understanding requires learning and while learning one cannot understand. If I may rephrase it in the less self-referential form, “What do I wish I had done differently ?”, the answer is painfully obvious. I wish I had had complete confidence in myself, my technique and my musical aesthetic, and ignored everybody else. As it happened I failed to reach this delightful state until I was about fifty-five. Better late than never though.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission