2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can use AS104ALL on an old laptop, along with other free programmes (there were loads years back) as long as I do not go online.
On my Cloudbook, Flat Music writing is playing me up . . .I can still write, but not play back.

You can take that both ways . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
K
K
Do NOT disable updates unless you really know what you're doing in regards to security. By default as of spring 2019, automatic updates only even apply to Security updates on Windows 10.

I tried to replicate this issue on 7 PCs that are fully up to date and cannot. The updates themselves are unlikely to have caused this, but there may be a conflict with your system.

Well, my Flat Notation programme works perfectly on my Chromebook, but won't on my Cloudbook which has automatic updates . . . .it also crashes on certain news sites. I'm thinking of disabling updates next time it crashes - it restores to a more stable place.
But though a cloudbook doesn't need the same security it may affect the functioning of apps . . . .I shall see.

"[Linked Image]"
Peter: See my post from January regarding the "metered" setting: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ion-1909-broke-asio4all.html#Post2931294

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
I had some compatibility issues with a few programs after the 1909 update on my office laptop. For avoiding such problems I bought separate laptop just for DAW usage, installed Win7 Pro, updated manually to latest version, turned off all devices and Windows services not related to audio chain and disconnected from internet. Only moment when it's connected is when I activate software. Funny thing, when I run benchmark in LatencyMon, when my WiFi card is on, I get much worse results (even tho theoretically all auto-updates are disabled).

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Peter: See my post from January regarding the "metered" setting: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ion-1909-broke-asio4all.html#Post2931294

Mine's not on 1909 yet . . . .and I'm still having trouble. Gonna sort out the metered setting.

"[Linked Image]"
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

Mine's not on 1909 yet . . . .and I'm still having trouble. Gonna sort out the metered setting.

Not possible! I already have updates blocked, but they've gone on anyway . . . .Bring back the Sinclair Spectrum 64 . . . . .

"[Linked Image]"
I'm still on 1809 ... and I don't get automatic updates because of the metered setting.

Windows still checks for updates and asks my permission to install. I'll allow such updates ... so long as the dreaded 1903 or 1909 is not among them..

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
This year I did a clean install of Windows 1909 with no issues. My 2015 Dell XPS i5 laptop runs better than ever including DPC latency results.

I did not install any of the Dell malware. And disabled some M$ spyware with O&O.

I use the RME ASIO drivers. I deleted ASIO4ALL due to some background performance issues.

C
C
I'm really fed up with windows. I've a surface 3 pro with pianoteq and garritan cfx lite and each time windows decide to check for updates (which seems to be very often) I get cracks and pops frown If it wasn't because most of the time I'm using piano marvel (which doesn't have a linux version) I will use linux and forget windows forever. Nowadays my windows computer feels like a microsoft computer that I can occasionally use when they (microsoft) arent doing anything else.

Use the metered connection trick already mentioned, but as far as I now that won't delay updates forever and windows will finally download updates and reset the metered connection state. This happened to me. Also metered connection can't be used on ethernet, only with wifi.

You can also search for ways to disable updates using the registry.

Someone mentioned this is irresponsible, but I'm pretty sure the number of bugs remain constant in new updates or even increase due to the new functionalities.

Don't know if mac users suffer as much .. I'm seriously thinking of buying one but it seems overkill just to play music and I suppose is better invested on a new piano

Me too ...
Originally Posted by Carlos-CR
I'm really fed up with windows.
But I don't have a viable alternative.

Also metered connection can't be used on ethernet, only with wifi.
Not so. There are five connection types that can be set to metered mode, and I have them all metered:
3G
4G
Ethernet
WiFi

I'm pretty sure the number of bugs remain constant in new updates or even increase due to the new functionalities.
Yes, it's disgusting. The world has all but given up on quality.

Don't know if mac users suffer as much .. I'm seriously thinking of buying one but it seems overkill just to play music and I suppose is better invested on a new piano
I won't buy a Mac.
Long ago I resisted because they're overpriced.
With age came an unwillingness to go through another learning curve. (I used a Mac for a few months at work some years ago and hated it.)
And more recently I've become disgusted with Apple business practices. So there will be no Mac product here.

O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
No problems here with ASIO4ALL and Windows 10 1909.

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST + Genelec 8050B monitors.
Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): Pianoteq 7/VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
I converted to Windows 1909 and Flat Notation still wasn;t right. I upgrded my cloudbook to the full version of Windows 10 (it ran on a light version for speed) and it was still faulty.
I ran the Chrome browser (they've been nagging me for months) and . . . .
All Is Well!
All is also much faster . . . . smile
Try Chrome. It does seem better.

"[Linked Image]"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission