2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have to be very careful as I have tinnitus and it gets much worse after noise. In a practice room (or anywhere I can make loud noise) I have to be very careful, as any piano (regardless of its size) can cause problems. I've been very lucky so far, as I've been able to keep it under control so far.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/28/20 07:33 PM.
Gooddog Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I feel so refreshed! I originally posted this in 2008.

Best regards,

Deborah
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
There's a related thread running in the "Piano Teachers" forum right now.

For anyone with trouble from tinnitus from loud sounds, I recommend these earplugs:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW

They give reasonably-constant 20 dB reduction, across most audio frequencies. They fit me well (I got the "Standard" size), are comfortable, and don't cost much. They're better than my old Hearo "Musician's Earplugs".

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

For anyone with trouble from tinnitus from loud sounds, I recommend these earplugs:

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-High-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Packaging/dp/B00RM6Q9XW

They give reasonably-constant 20 dB reduction, across most audio frequencies. They fit me well (I got the "Standard" size), are comfortable, and don't cost much. They're better than my old Hearo "Musician's Earplugs".

I have these earplugs and I wouldn’t go to an amplified concert without them. These days I don’t go to many amplified concerts. I could try them at the piano to see what they’re like. I’m a big fan of Etymotic and I love their ER-4SR earphones which I will not travel without.

Last edited by LarryK; 02/29/20 03:44 AM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I practice my four octave scales, chords and arpeggios on my upright with the practice pedal, partially so as not to annoy my family, but also to reduce the volume for my own ears. I practice them pp to ff, and on weekends do all major and minor keys, so why expose myself to that volume unnecessarily? If available, at least using such a practice pedal for menial practice routines and exercises makes sense to me.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Good idea! Small investment. I go to concerts on occasion and the volume is usually uncomfortable.

Last edited by cmb13; 02/29/20 09:03 AM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Coincidentally, I just noticed that we have two different thread on Pianist Corner and Piano Teachers forum with exactly the same title: "Hearing Loss from Piano" started by two different members.

gooddog, you might want to take a look at this thread on the Piano Teachers forum too.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
B
b84 Offline
B
The danger isn't the sustained resonance, but the transient of the attack. If it's an instrument with hardened hammers in a reflective space then you get hit with a lot of harmonic content. When I was young there was one practice room (small upright) which would make my ears ring after 20-30mins. If someone used that kind of setup daily there would surely be consequences as the years go by.

Good news is that a few rugs will totally take the edge off.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If you play an early square piano, there is no way that you would be at risk of hearing loss! (Or of disturbing the neighbours.)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Research shows that regular sustained noise at 85db can cause hearing damage in susceptible people. Regular sustained nosie at 90db causes hearing damage for the majority of normal people. A grand piano played around f with the lid down is around 90db, with the lid up and ff around 100db. On headphones especially hearing damage is common as it is very difficult to know how loud we are listening. If you wait to have pain or discomfort chances are you have already casued some damage. Most people with a little bit of hearing damage don’t even realise it, as we get older our hearing deterioarates anyway so it can be impossible to know the cause in a particular case. If you value your hearing it is best to err on the side of caution.

You can get almost 100db even out of an upright piano …
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pGN4oE28J4

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David-G
If you play an early square piano, there is no way that you would be at risk of hearing loss! (Or of disturbing the neighbours.)

That's true. Perhaps I need a clavichord.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Noise exposure is not the only source of hearing loss. Many cases of hearing loss are age related.

Learner
Oh if I can copy paste what I wrote on the piano teachers' forum .

Apparently, most professional classical musicians develop some kind of noise related hearing loss (in addition to the age-related hearing almost everyone will get), and classical musicians actually get more hearing loss than rock musicians, due to the longer practice hours in classical music.

However, for people without those kind of practice hours and amount of concerts attended, the risk will surely be a lot lower.

Still, definitely always bring some ear plugs with you (you could carry foam ear plugs around with you) and put them in if you believe the noise at a concert or rehearsal is too loud, or above about 90-100db, and similarly if you are practising on a loud piano in a small practice room.

Foam ear plugs usually attenuate the sound down by around 10-20db, likely bringing it to safe levels with them in.

That said, most people get age-related hearing loss, and that is partly genetic, and inevitable even if you sit in a quiet room your whole life, and had never become a musician.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 03/05/20 12:22 PM.

Kawai K-500 | M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000 | ADAM Audio T8V
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission