2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
30 members (Dazzie2, Calavera, dima5222, aspirar, David B, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, digtro, 8 invisible), 384 guests, and 399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers?
#2952649 02/28/20 05:12 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
There is a particular score that I really want and can't find it anywhere else, but it's available for sale on Tunescribers.com. I had never heard of them before. Has anyone ever purchased from them? Are they legit??

TIA!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Has anyone purchased from Tunescribers?
ShiroKuro #2952663 02/28/20 06:11 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I did, and I was extremely satisfied. In fact, I felt sorry for whoever it is who does the work, because in view of the modest cost, it seemed like those folks couldn't be paid at any high rate. It made me sort of hope it's almost entirely automated, but on the other hand that would mean they don't have to employ that many real people at all.

The thing they sent me had a couple of obvious mistakes, probably just oversights, the music version of "typos." But that was nothing compared to the unbelievable great things about what they did, including that in a couple of instances, I think they actually corrected what the guy played!! -- i.e. realized that what he played probably wasn't exactly what he meant to play, and I agreed with it.

(BTW, "that guy" was Rubinstein.) ha

I recommend them highly. Yes, totally legit, and beyond legit. It's terrific.
Also: The communication was excellent.

ShiroKuro #2952669 02/28/20 06:36 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Oh ok, good! Thanks for posting this!

If I do end up purchasing this score, I'll come back here and post an update!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952677 02/28/20 07:12 PM
Please do! I'll be interested to hear if they do as great a job on yours as they did on mine.
I'm glad to be able to give them a well-deserved plug.

And, I'll take the opportunity to talk a little about what my thing was:
Rubinstein's cadenza for the 1st movement of Mozart's C major Concerto, K. 467.

That's one of the concerti for which we don't have one by Mozart. I hoped there would be one by Beethoven, although I don't 'love' his Mozart cadenzas that I knew of, and there isn't one from him either.

I looked and listened to everyone's cadenza that I could get my eyes or ears on. There must have been a couple dozen of them, including by several highly noted pianists.

It's hard to make up a Mozart cadenza. grin
There are so many challenges to it, the main one of course being, who can come close to matching this piece that Mozart wrote??
And then there's also that it's 'supposed to' have certain known aspects, yet not be too clichéd. Y'know -- like, it's supposed to have various of the piece's motifs in it, but not exactly the same, and there are supposed to be some harmonic modulations, perhaps one or two of them being strange and unexpected, but how unexpected can they be, since they're expected? Plus, when you do those things, you'll obviously be mimicking Mozart's own cadenzas and hundreds of other people's cadenzas, and you want to avoid mimicking them too much, but if you try to be too original, you'll probably fall on your face, at least to some extent, because, again, who can match Mozart? And, similarly to the expectation of unexpected harmonic shifts, you 'have to' have some 'unexpected' shifts of dynamics and mood, from sprightly to meditative -- and all the same traps apply as with the modulations. And then of course you have to lead up to the final trill, preferably in some reasonably familiar way, but you don't want that to be just a cliché either.....
It's an impossible task.

The great majority of cadenzas that I came across, I absolutely hated. Mostly it was that the "surprise" stuff just didn't work (for me); either it was too extreme and felt contrived, or it just pretended to be creative and interesting but was like just nothing. Also very often they seemed to overuse neat figures from the piece -- yeah, I get it, that was great where Mozart had it, but enough already -- you're just re-doing it and re-doing it, but of course you're doing it worse than he did it; not good with such a hard act to follow.

Rubinstein's cadenza was the one I liked best, by far. Sure, it had some of those pitfalls, especially the latter one. But, for me it really really worked, mainly because it was one of the simplest ones -- it doesn't over-try or over-reach -- and also because it's so much in the way of how Rubinstein just played; this was pure Rubinstein, and it totally matches his overall approach to the piece, so it's a coherent part of the whole.

At first I tried transcribing it myself, but saw how hard it was, so I looked online to see if there was some transcribing service, and was thrilled to find something like Tunescribers.

BTW, when I pulled out my score of the piece, which I hadn't looked at in over 30 years, I was surprised to see that I had written some fingerings, which meant I had worked on the piece before, which I didn't remember.
What I didn't remember even more: There was a set of sheets of music paper stuck in it, with a cadenza by me.
How good is it??
I'd estimate that in an undergrad music course, it might have gotten a C+. ha

Mark_C #2952709 02/28/20 08:31 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I did, and I was extremely satisfied. In fact, I felt sorry for whoever it is who does the work, because in view of the modest cost, it seemed like those folks couldn't be paid at any high rate. It made me sort of hope it's almost entirely automated, but on the other hand that would mean they don't have to employ that many real people at all.

I wondered about that too. I paid about $40 for a transcription of about 90 seconds of intermediate piano music, and I thought that was a fantastic bargain. On the other hand, after the transcribe something, it goes on their website to sell at ten bucks a pop as many times as they like, so they'll make alot more off it than my $40 alone. Hopefully, the transcribers are paid a decent rate, and given all the tolls they need to make it as easy as possible.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland FP-30, Casio CDP-130
Past: Casio PX-830, Casio PX-160
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 6 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4, Vibes, Xylo), Roland KC-80
TheophilusCarter #2952715 02/28/20 08:41 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
[On the other hand, after the transcribe something, it goes on their website to sell at ten bucks a pop as many times as they like, so they'll make alot more off it than my $40 alone.

I wondered if that was how that works. If I paid $100 for a score, and then it was on sale for someone else to buy it for $10, I might not be too happy about that! :P

Anyway, given that people at PW have had good experiences with them, I just bought the score I wanted ($9.99 -10% discount) since they already had in their list of "songs for sale." So obviously I didn't actually use their transcription service. Although, now that I know about them, I may do that in the future, despite the expense, it's a great service. I wonder if they do violin parts....

Anyway, I'm getting ready to go work on the music now, the first page is very accurate, if the other 4 pages are as well, then I will be very happy! smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952721 02/28/20 08:52 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

I wondered if that was how that works. If I paid $100 for a score, and then it was on sale for someone else to buy it for $10, I might not be too happy about that! :P

Ha, well, that's one way of looking at it. On the other hand, I only paid $40 for a service that might otherwise have cost me a heck of a lot more if I were just buying it for myself. If others can then enjoy the same sheet music at a bargain price, then more power to them!

ShiroKuro #2952732 02/28/20 09:09 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
The score I bought today was 5 pages long, it's just under 4 minutes long... since they charge $25/minute, that's a $100 score. Yikes!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952736 02/28/20 09:23 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
The score I bought today was 5 pages long, it's just under 4 minutes long... since they charge $25/minute, that's a $100 score. Yikes!

Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.

TheophilusCarter #2952743 02/28/20 10:00 PM
Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.

YES.

For me to finish doing it myself instead, I'd guess it would have been probably about 20 hours of work, and a month stay in a mental rehab hospital.

ShiroKuro #2952766 02/28/20 11:02 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Their rates are very good, considering the level of skill it takes.

Mark_C #2952895 02/29/20 12:06 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member

YES.

For me to finish doing it myself instead, I'd guess it would have been probably about 20 hours of work, and a month stay in a mental rehab hospital.

I'm not saying it should be cheaper, or that it doesn't require incredible skill. But just that $100 for the score for one piece of music is a lot of money for me, and I would feel frustrated if I paid $100 for a score, and then that same score popped up for sale so that other people could buy it for $10... Which, in retrospect, is probably exactly how the score I bought yesterday came to be.

They should offer a wish-list function, where you could sign up as wanting a particular score, then if 9 other people signed up for the same score, everyone would pay $10 and the score could be made at that point. The company could continue selling the score, thus continuing to profit...

/wishfulthinking

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952896 02/29/20 12:07 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
[quote=TheophilusCarter]Yep, but that's still a bargain, when you think about how incredibly skilled the labor is, and how many hours it must take to transcribe per minute of music.

YES.

I'm not saying it should be cheaper, or that it doesn't require incredible skill. But just that $100 for the score for one piece of music is a lot of money for me, and I would feel frustrated if I paid $100 for a score, and then that same score popped up for sale so that other people could buy it for $10... Which, in retrospect, is probably exactly how the score I bought yesterday came to be. ETA: the person who pays $100 for a score is basically subsidizing the other musicians....

They should offer a wish-list function, where you could sign up as wanting a particular score, then if 9 other people signed up for the same score, everyone would pay $10 and the score could be made at that point. The company could continue selling the score, thus continuing to profit...

/wishfulthinking

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 02/29/20 12:17 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952897 02/29/20 12:18 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Oops, sorry for the weird double post (I don't actually know how that happened) and now I can't delete the duplicate... :P

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952923 02/29/20 01:53 PM
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
BTW, I haven't played through to the end yet, but based on listening to the original recording and reading along, I think it's super accurate. thumb

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2952927 02/29/20 02:02 PM
Online Content
I have bought the transcriptions for two pieces from several on line transcribers over the years. These were the pieces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXDuBKvQ8-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K7kKJ7IIog

ShiroKuro #2952929 02/29/20 02:06 PM
Online Content
Oops, sorry for the weird double post (I don't actually know how that happened) and now I can't delete the duplicate... :P

What piece did you get?

ShiroKuro #2952930 02/29/20 02:07 PM
Online Content
Anyone interested in sharing the cost for this piece?

Bill Charlap:Pure Imagination
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMjHwdzOmXg

pianoloverus #2952939 02/29/20 02:22 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's a fine arrangement. I am curious to know: How would copyright laws apply to making copies available to the public of transcriptions that the transcriber has not made public?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #2952942 02/29/20 02:32 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

That's a fine arrangement. I am curious to know: How would copyright laws apply to making copies available to the public of transcriptions that the transcriber has not made public?

Regards,
I don't know but it's possible that it's not kosher. I'm quite sure that offering it for sale on the internet would be illegal, but sharing it with a few people might not be a problem. There are quite a few sites where people share music scores for free but that doesn't mean it's legal.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 02/29/20 02:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Synchron Pianos sale extended till June 15
by VladK - 06/04/20 11:52 PM
Editions without fingering
by skern49 - 06/04/20 11:19 PM
help picking DP
by Dazzie2 - 06/04/20 07:52 PM
Chopin 3D face reconstructed
by CyberGene - 06/04/20 06:19 PM
4th Finger Pain
by alexii - 06/04/20 05:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,406
Posts2,966,171
Members97,304
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission