2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,449 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2952066 02/27/20 04:42 AM
P
OP Offline
P
Hi, just a quick question if anyone knows the answer. Is the binaural sound (on recent Yamaha digital pianos) only available on Yamaha? If not, I think this makes other brands of digital pianos inferior, IF most of the time you are using headphones to play. I don’t think the normal sound using headphones comes anything close to the binaural sampling.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would like to hear an audio comparative between the same piece played with and without binaural samples on the same Yamaha DP before saying that it's superior.
Kawai uses their SHS technology to make their samples sound more natural with headphones but I prefer to hear the original samples without that artificial 'surround' effect which, in my opinion, blurs the sound too much between left and right channel.
Binaural samples, in theory, should be better sounding for the player, but sometimes theory and practice differ...

M
M
Most of what you read in product specs is pure marketing. At least that's what it was when I worked in consumer electronics...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Martinez
Most of what you read in product specs is pure marketing. At least that's what it was when I worked in consumer electronics...

Binaural recordings are based on science: physics and mathematics. It is not marketing. Of course marketing can be used to sell it as something it's not. But anyone can read links like the one I just gave for the science behind binaural recordings.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Dexibell uses "holophonic" samples which is a sort of binaural audio.

Supposedly.

I don't really know more than that

And then of course Pianoteq is an easy way to compare stereo and binaural. (In addition to a Clavinova)

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
One of the piano sample sets you can load into the Nords is binaural. I think that's the only other keyboard manufacturer that does this.

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Roland have something on their pianos that balances the sound better in headphones than their previous models. I think they started that with the HP6XX series, or perhaps the 508. Anyway I think they don't call it binaural because of Yamaha.

YAMAHA Artist
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by joe80
Anyway I think they don't call it binaural because of Yamaha.

"Binaural" isn't a Yamaha trademark. It's been around for decades (the word and the science). Kind of like "stereo".

Garritan CFX has binaural samples to, though I don't really think those are fundamentally better than the classic mic arrangement.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
B
B
Binaural is recorded with an acoustics head and mics into the ears.
As you do yourself when you hear anything.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have it on my 645, it's interesting but definitely not a game changer, IMO.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
M
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Martinez

Binaural recordings are based on science: physics and mathematics. It is not marketing. Of course marketing can be used to sell it as something it's not. But anyone can read links like the one I just gave for the science behind binaural recordings.

Of course you are correct.

What I meant to say is Yamaha might call it binaural sampling, others have super-duper-rendering, coupled with high-energy simulation plus amazing modeling. In the end the quality makers of DPs all have technology to make their products sound great. Some of them are better, some are worse. And then there is personal preferences.

Technology is complicated, and that's where the marketing comes into play to create a message with buzzwords that the average consumer can digest.

Thus my take on all of this: don't go with buzzwords praising the superiority of a product over others. Test yourself and buy what you like best.

And that's all I have to say about that smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
[...]
And then of course Pianoteq is an easy way to compare stereo and binaural. (In addition to a Clavinova)
Well, Pianoteq creates both the piano sound and the binaural effect with algorithms, so the result could be different (not necessarily better or worse) compared with Yamaha binaural samples.
Anyway, what I hear when binaural output is activated in Pianoteq is a more 'central' sound, with frequencies more evenly distributed between left and right channel. Without binaural, I feel more stereo separation. I don't know which is better... It's just... different! Probably 'binaural' is more similar to what a pianist hears, 'no binaural' is more similar to a good piano recording. Of course, all of this matters just with headphones... The SHS effect on my Kawai DP does more or less a similar thing and you feel less stereo separation, but then the sound is more blurred, where in Pianoteq I feel it remains very clear even in binaural mode.
So, on my DP I prefer to play without SHS.

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Heh, I kind of forgot that Pianoteq is "fake".

Definitely not recorded with a dummy head as it's not recorded at all. 🙃

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've never found binaural to be worth the fuss. And with pianos ... I wonder whether it's just another distraction, meant to deflect attention from the still-not-so-stellar sound?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I've never found binaural to be worth the fuss. And with pianos ... I wonder whether it's just another distraction, meant to deflect attention from the still-not-so-stellar sound?

Mac^3, when are you going to be able to try out the N1X? Last time you were planning to, a trip got cancelled and then you forgot later. Aren't there any Yamaha dealers in Raleigh?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Yeah, IMHO they could use that extra storage memory to put more velocity layers or longer samples in it, instead of binaural samples that probably don't make such a big difference in perceived quality...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is some marketing voodoo around all audio. I've heard a lot of "meh" binaural recordings but found the "barbershop" demo to be awesome.

- CyberGene and a few others really like Yamaha's binaural piano sounds.

- There are varying opinions around Garritan CFX's binaural perspective. Disagreement if the L & R channels are swapped so that throws a wrench in the whole thing IMHO
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2877942/garritan-cfx-swapped-stereo-image.html

- PianoTeq has a neat binaural audio implementation with some adjustability. I found increasing the head size to improve sound for me. You can try the free demo to see for yourself.
Originally Posted by newer player
The binaural headphone scheme is pretty good IMO. In particular:

1. try changing the head diameter options
2. try using different headphones/earbuds that you might own.

Go to the PianoTeq output window, select "binaural MODE", hover over the headphone image:

- head diameter - right-click up arrow
- head angle - right-click left-right arrow
- head position x,y,z- right-click headphones

I turned the binaural off my CFX (P515) and it sounds better. The binaural in Pianoteq I never use; the stereo isn't as pronounced or pleasant as that on the P 515 either.
Whichever piano you select, the stereo sounds different anyway, so you're not stuck on the same old same old . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I rarely used the binaural feature on my Yamaha DPs. I found it way to artificial.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Tried really hard to bring myself to like the binaural samples from both the Clavinova and Garritan CFX. Just couldn't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission