2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
29 registered members (BachToTheFuture, Abdol, Bett, 20/20 Vision, Burkie, Chernobieff Piano, AZNpiano, 7 invisible), 381 guests, and 343 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions #2952026 02/27/20 01:06 AM
J
Jon Albert Offline OP
OP Offline
J
In my search for 7’ish piano I’ve found a New Kawai GX6 BLK available at a great price of $34k. Reason for price is that it’s a 2014 that was transferred from a dealer who no longer sells Kawai to another Kawai dealer in area.

I’ve yet to play it as it’s 3 hours away, but will make the trip next weekend.

I’m really hoping to love the piano when I play it. Reason for this post is to just hear some opinions on this model.

Any thoughts? I assume people will agree it’s very good price. It’s about 43% below SMP listed on pianobuyer.

(ad int) Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
Re: Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions [Re: Jon Albert] #2952146 02/27/20 10:09 AM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately I’m not that familiar with Kawai pianos as I am with Yamahas, but it sounds pretty attractive and well worth a 3 hour drive. All I can suggest is to bring a good selection of repertoire with you. Easy stuff to warm up and relax with, hard repertoire that uses deep bass and upper treble, trills, big chords, and fast arpeggios. Include pieces that require ppp and fff to really get an idea of the full dynamic range. Compare it to other Kawai’s in the store.
Make a whole day of it. Take lots of notes.

Best wishes- hope this is “the one”!

Last edited by j&j; 02/27/20 10:10 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]
Re: Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions [Re: Jon Albert] #2952149 02/27/20 10:15 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
You may already know this: but write down the serial number. You can check the age and, if you decide this is ‘the one’ , you can check the delivered Piano is the one you played

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions [Re: Jon Albert] #2952599 02/28/20 02:51 PM
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hello, Jon Albert-

I have the previous iteration of this line: the Kawai RX-5. A lovely piano, particularly after some additional tuning and regulation during the first several years--- that was an investment that paid off.

It's a good long day of driving and playing, but I think your time and effort will not be misspent. One assumes the dealer is expecting you, and has been asked to be sure the piano is tuned and adjusted. It's a long shot, but some dealerships have a smaller room, more the size and acoustic profile that would be found in a home. It helps a buyer to more accurately judge of the way the instrument will sound once you get it in your music room, since most of us do not live in a warehouse.

My RX has a big voice, and I've had to go to some effort to adjust the room acoustics and the piano's position within the space, so it's more comfortable to play and is easier on my ears. After all, one does not like to play on tiptoe ALL the time. However, it has a beautiful small voice as well as a robust large one, and as well as a good dynamic range it offers a very interesting change of register, depending on how forcefully or gently the keys are struck. And unlike so many pianos, every key offers a musically useful sound, from bottom to top, and the back action works well.

Which is just to say that they have gotten a lot of things figured out, and yes, of course all pianos ought to be so playable, but many are not.

Oh well, you did ask. Here's hoping your piano search bears fruit! Best of luck.

Clef

Clef

Re: Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions [Re: Jon Albert] #2953253 03/01/20 12:38 PM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
We do have one RX5 at University of Alabama and it's a year 2000 model (maybe 2001, 2002, but 2000 ish). This piano has been rained on by the H-VAC system, it's been hammered to within inches of its useful life by students, it's been through hellish humidity changes and temperature changes. It's had pretty much everything you can throw at a piano happen to it without being left outside or burned. OK the piano doesn't have its best sound now, but it's holding up remarkably well. It's clearly built like a tank. There is even the remnant of a beautiful tone there despite everything.

What I'm saying is - Yes an RX series Kawai is a good strong piano, and if the price is right and you're happy with it, then go for it. There's no reason why an unsold 2014 Kawai shouldn't be a good piano unless it has had a bucket of water thrown over it or something.

Re: Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions [Re: joe80] #2953339 03/01/20 06:04 PM
j&j Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joe80
We do have one RX5 at University of Alabama and it's a year 2000 model (maybe 2001, 2002, but 2000 ish). This piano has been rained on by the H-VAC system, it's been hammered to within inches of its useful life by students, it's been through hellish humidity changes and temperature changes. It's had pretty much everything you can throw at a piano happen to it without being left outside or burned. OK the piano doesn't have its best sound now, but it's holding up remarkably well. It's clearly built like a tank. There is even the remnant of a beautiful tone there despite everything.

What I'm saying is - Yes an RX series Kawai is a good strong piano, and if the price is right and you're happy with it, then go for it. There's no reason why an unsold 2014 Kawai shouldn't be a good piano unless it has had a bucket of water thrown over it or something.

That really says something about Kawai durability. Sometimes there’s a piano that for some reason isn’t displayed right, gets left in its crate for some weird reason and those pianos are hidden gems. I hope that’s the case why the 2014 GX6 is still at the dealership. Fingers crossed for you it’s a hidden gem.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia PX-330
“Send lawyers, guns, and money. The $hit has hit the fan.” Warren Zevon
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recent Recordings - Music Conservatories
by Rhapsodyinblue - 04/01/20 12:04 AM
Best teachers in the U.S., redo
by Radio1ogy - 03/31/20 11:52 PM
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,830
Posts2,940,766
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission