2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
27 registered members (Eric399, astrotoy, BachToTheFuture, David B, Abdol, Bett, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 442 guests, and 311 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Wandering 5th Finger #2951987 02/26/20 09:57 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ive noticed for many years that my pinky fingers (5) just naturally point a little away from my hand while relaxed. I hope that description makes sense. It doesn’t show up an awful lot with playing so far except when I try to play a root and 5 or 6 together fast. I’m just taking a shot at seeing if anyone else has this issue and possibly any advice. Thanks.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2951991 02/26/20 10:03 PM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I never noticed before, but mine do too when I straighten my fingers, although it's not by much.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/26/20 10:04 PM.
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: johnstaf] #2952012 02/26/20 11:31 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
I never noticed before, but mine do too when I straighten my fingers, although it's not by much.

I’ve seen photos of myself from 25 years back and there’s about a 3/4 or so inch gap between my 4 and 5. I’m just hoping that I can find a way to keep it from being problematic, along with arthritis deformities, with playing.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952040 02/27/20 02:11 AM
MichaelJK Offline
Originally Posted by dobro
Ive noticed for many years that my pinky fingers (5) just naturally point a little away from my hand while relaxed. I hope that description makes sense. It doesn’t show up an awful lot with playing so far except when I try to play a root and 5 or 6 together fast. I’m just taking a shot at seeing if anyone else has this issue and possibly any advice. Thanks.

Can you post a photo or video? I'm having trouble imagining what you're describing.

Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952083 02/27/20 06:27 AM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I think this has been discussed. i did wontder about my 5th as I noticed long ago when I recorded it was higher. My teacher has mentioned many others things with technique I have never noticed. However never fifth finger. I have been told about high wrist, collapsing DIP joints, having more clurred fingers on the black notes and slightly straighter on the white notes. I think we discussed the anatomy that the 5th is closely related to the 4th so this may be a normal movement of the hand. Lifting the fourth finger ofter needs the 5th to be lifted. I have an agility exercise to work on which is basically trills on the 4th and 5th left and right hands and noticed my third and second are higher when I do these. So it is all very interlinked. Unless your teacher has noted a problem I would not worry. I would to be discuss with your teacher. You will get some 1 to 1 personalised advice that is likely to be helpful or maybe reassurance there is no problem. I would never dream of asking for technique advice on piano world forum! If you wish to entertain this I wish you luck. It may result in piano world argument. people have their own views and often these are fixed. My advice is not to get advice here on technique. I think it would be silly to post hand photos and videos. I would beg you to go to your teacher with these. If you have to get advice here I would only do it if you have asked your teacher and have been given what you think is poor advice and you want a second opinion. But even this I would not do. sorry piano people just I dont think forum is the best place for this sort of advice laugh

Last edited by Moo :); 02/27/20 06:29 AM.
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952347 02/27/20 07:13 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
This is my hand at rest. I can move the (5) fine but this is the natural way it is.

I agree Moo, it’s kind of a long shot to seek help on a forum but I’m self learning, for better or worse, and I’m not sure if my Dr even knows what a piano is. [img]http://[/img]

Scrap this post, I can’t figure how to get a pic loaded.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952351 02/27/20 07:44 PM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I don't think learners should worry about the appearance of their fingers as long as they work for them in the way they're meant to.

I've seen kids with flat fingers, splayed-out fingers, 'excessively' curled fingers (not all at the same time), yet they play fine. A teacher who is wise will leave things well alone unless there are technical issues, tension issues etc. The priority is to ensure that they are playing correctly without unnecessary tension, rather than what they look like. Adult learners who notice visual 'oddities' on themselves start over-thinking, and when they try to 'correct' what they perceive as not kosher (probably based on watching YT videos of their piano idols) they just end up developing lots of tension and cramping their style.

FWIW, when I started learning piano, my non-playing fingers stuck out like rods. My teacher never corrected me. Within a few months, they started curving naturally as I developed finger control. (I'm basing it on photos my uncle took when I visited him and played duets with my cousins.) But what never changed were my pinkies, which always did 'collapse' at the middle (PIP) joints and bent at various angles at the distal joint when playing above mp. And they stuck out intermittently depending on what I was about to play. (BTW, I never noticed that until I made video recordings for a piano website a few years ago.) And none of my four teachers over the ten years I had lessons ever mentioned it, meaning that they never considered it to be a problem. I was a trusting kid when I was a student, and if my teachers were happy, so was I smirk .

What about now? Well, if anyone watching me play the piano (which is quite a number over the years I've been performing in public) thought my fingers look 'odd', they never mentioned it to me. Maybe because my playing was OK, despite the visual/cosmetic infelicities? grin

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952372 02/27/20 09:39 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
The pic that I took with my hand naturally at rest on keys shows how my 5 would be on the 6th key from my thumb instead of the 5th. I’m trying to pay more attention as I go but it seems to want to “reach out”. It’s not the curl or and up/down issue.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952374 02/27/20 09:46 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by dobro
The pic that I took with my hand naturally at rest on keys shows how my 5 would be on the 6th key from my thumb instead of the 5th. I’m trying to pay more attention as I go but it seems to want to “reach out”. It’s not the curl or and up/down issue.

Don't worry about it if it's not impeding your playing - and definitely don't let it prey on your mind to the extent of causing unwanted tension.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952409 02/28/20 02:10 AM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Bennevis, I didn’t have as much of a problem with trying that fast chord today so I may just need to stay mindful of it in practice.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: dobro] #2952528 02/28/20 11:32 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I'd say having a big natural span between 4th and 5th is an advantage.
As well as between other fingers.

| Taa atu uka taa aatk tuku taka tuku |
Re: Wandering 5th Finger [Re: Iaroslav Vasiliev] #2952553 02/28/20 12:36 PM
dobro Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I'd say having a big natural span between 4th and 5th is an advantage.
As well as between other fingers.

Great point, I suppose I should just stay mindful of where my fingers are at all times. It does help with some inversions.

Alesis Coda Pro

Moderated by  BB Player 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recent Recordings - Music Conservatories
by Rhapsodyinblue - 04/01/20 12:04 AM
Best teachers in the U.S., redo
by Radio1ogy - 03/31/20 11:52 PM
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,830
Posts2,940,766
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission