2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
29 members (blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, Boboulus, ChrisGoesPiano, David B, 20/20 Vision, daleq, 7 invisible), 384 guests, and 412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
How do I start teaching piano?
#2950028 02/22/20 03:00 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello guys,
I've just got my Grade 8 Trinity Piano Practical and Grade 5 ABRSM Music Theory certificate. I'd like to teach piano as a part-time job. How can I start?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How do I start teaching piano?
Classical Lover #2950042 02/22/20 04:03 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You can start by going to a university and obtaining a degree in Piano Pedagogy or Piano Performance (with classes in pedagogy).

If that's not an option, then you might want to consider getting an apprenticeship with an experienced piano teacher in your area.

Or if that's still not an option, then you might want to immerse yourself in all the available piano books and method book series. There is a ton of resources online as well, from folks like Piano Adventures and Alfred Premier.

You most likely will get a lot of beginners when you start teaching anywhere, but beginners are ironically very difficult to teach. It's even more difficult to teach beginners who were taught wrong the first time.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Classical Lover #2950075 02/22/20 09:35 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Can you continue your studies and get a teaching diploma?

johnstaf #2950086 02/22/20 10:29 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf
Can you continue your studies and get a teaching diploma?

I don't know about Trinity, but both ABRSM and RCM have piano pedagogy certificates.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Classical Lover #2950100 02/22/20 11:16 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
ABRSM has a teaching option even in their highest diploma. I wonder if the OP would be able to prepare for one of these.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/22/20 11:24 AM.
Classical Lover #2950281 02/22/20 06:02 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Classical Lover
Hello guys,
I've just got my Grade 8 Trinity Piano Practical and Grade 5 ABRSM Music Theory certificate. I'd like to teach piano as a part-time job. How can I start?

I don't know whether parents will hire you where you live, in your country, based on your Grade 8 Practical and Grade 5 Theory.

When I was a kid, there were lots of qualified teachers around with teaching diplomas (ABRSM or Trinity), and no parent would hire a teacher with just Grade 8.

I recommend that you have a chat with established teachers - including your own, or your ex-teacher if you aren't having lessons anymore - to see what the expectation is among parents of prospective students.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Classical Lover #2950294 02/22/20 06:51 PM
One skill you will need (among many others musical and administrative):

The confidence to stand up to parents.

You are bound to encounter at least some who are pushy, ignorant or inconsiderate.

Quite likely all of the above. They will also have more life experience than you so prepare your guidelines carefully.

Good luck!

Modesty is a form of pride.
Classical Lover #2950392 02/23/20 02:40 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Or watch Parasite.

The Monkeys #2950395 02/23/20 02:59 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
Or watch Parasite.

🤣🤣🤣

This advice might also depend on some factors. My elderly father watched all of it with Chinese subtitles and didn't understand it. I had to explain the entire movie to him again in Chinese and he had to watch it again a second time. This sort of spoils some of the dark comedy to have to explain the humor! eek Oh well!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
The Monkeys #2950458 02/23/20 09:24 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by The Monkeys
Or watch Parasite.

That would only work if the OP has extremely good con skills.

I work for several families that are extremely wealthy, and most of them aren't as idiotic as the family being portrayed in that film. But I guess if they were able to find me, they're not idiots to begin with. Ha!!

AZNpiano #2950783 02/24/20 12:53 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I work for several families that are extremely wealthy, and most of them aren't as idiotic as the family being portrayed in that film.

There is still hope wink

AZNpiano #2951724 02/26/20 06:41 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for your advices,
I'd like to immerse myself in all available piano books and method book series but how do I get piano students to teach?

johnstaf #2951728 02/26/20 06:59 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you johnstaf for your comment,
Unfortunately ABRSM diploma has pre-requiste. Therefore, I'll have to take the Trinity diploma instead. If I'd like to take the performance diploma instead of the teaching one, will I still be able to teach?

bennevis #2951735 02/26/20 07:41 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you bennevis for your advices.
I'm thinking of taking a Trinity music performance diploma. With this diploma, do you think I'll be qualified enough to teach?

Classical Lover #2951764 02/26/20 10:02 AM
B
B
Thank you bennevis for your advices.
I'm thinking of taking a Trinity music performance diploma. With this diploma, do you think I'll be qualified enough to teach?

I have a performance diploma (ABRSM) but I don't feel qualified to teach, because that diploma is all about presenting yourself as a performer, and showing your skills and knowledge of the kind of rep that performers would play. Nothing related to teaching at all, as far as I remember (it was a long time ago), but the technical requirements are very high and you have to play your pieces from memory (after all, you are going to be a performer, and audiences expect very high standards of performance).

Whereas the teaching diploma requires you to know the kind of repertoire that would be suitable for students of each grade, how you would teach specific stuff depending on how old the child is etc; but the technical requirements are much lower for the teaching diploma, and you don't need to play pieces from memory. (Check out the difference in the technical difficulty of the pieces you have to play for each diploma.)

I'm basing this on ABRSM - I have no knowledge of Trinity, so you'll need to check up on their website to see what their requirements are.

I think that if you are self-studying, you'll have a much better chance of getting the teacher's diploma than the performer's one. It took me two years of weekly lessons with a concert pianist (after getting my ABRSM Grade 8 Distinction) to further improve my technical and musical skills, practising in all my free time while at university (about four hours a day), before I was ready to do the performance diploma.

As to whether you're qualified to teach with a performance diploma, if parents will employ you, that's up to you if you have the knowledge and skills. (My last teacher had performance diplomas but no teaching ones, but then he only taught advanced students). After all, in the USA, you don't even need any qualifications to teach piano....... smirk

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Classical Lover #2951925 02/26/20 06:02 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your advices,
I'd like to immerse myself in all available piano books and method book series but how do I get piano students to teach?

You can try advertising, but in my experience the students I get through advertisement are almost always terrible. The best advertisement is word-of-mouth referral.

I also started teaching piano as a side-job, but it evolved into a full-time position. It took many years, but I remember my very first group of students all came from the same "teacher" who "retired" (a.k.a. got married) and I got a bunch of Transfer Wrecks to deal with. They really tested my patience and thankfully they didn't stick around too long. I was very lucky to get one student's parent who referred me to 12+ students, and then the parents of those students got me more referrals. They were all members of a pretty close Asian community that went to the same Chinese School on weekends. They were not all good students, but I did have enough good ones to keep me going for a long time.

AZNpiano #2955902 03/09/20 11:06 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for your wonderful experience. How do you organize a concert or a recital for your students?

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Synchron Pianos sale extended till June 15
by VladK - 06/04/20 11:52 PM
Editions without fingering
by skern49 - 06/04/20 11:19 PM
help picking DP
by Dazzie2 - 06/04/20 07:52 PM
Chopin 3D face reconstructed
by CyberGene - 06/04/20 06:19 PM
4th Finger Pain
by alexii - 06/04/20 05:14 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,406
Posts2,966,171
Members97,304
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission