2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,926 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RinTin Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Wikipedia:
Choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected and/or to demote the forgone options. It is part of cognitive science, and is a distinct cognitive bias that occurs once a decision is made. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying or subscribing new negative faults to option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.
What is remembered about a decision can be as important as the decision itself, especially in determining how much regret or satisfaction one experiences. Research indicates that the process of making and remembering choices yields memories that tend to be distorted in predictable ways.
In cognitive science, one predictable way that memories of choice options are distorted is that positive aspects tend to be remembered as part of the chosen option, whether or not they originally were part of that option, and negative aspects tend to be remembered as part of rejected options. Once an action has been taken, the ways in which we evaluate the effectiveness of what we did may be biased. It is believed this may influence our future decision-making. These biases may be stored as memories, which are attributions that we make about our mental experiences based on their subjective qualities, our prior knowledge and beliefs, our motives and goals, and the social context. True and false memories arise by the same mechanism because when the brain processes and stores information, it cannot tell the difference where they came from.

The objective of a choice is generally to pick the best option. Thus, after making a choice, a person is likely to maintain the belief that the chosen option was better than the options rejected. Every choice has an upside and a downside. The process of making a decision mostly relies upon previous experiences. Therefore, a person will remember not only the decision made but also the reasoning behind making that decision.

Motivation may also play a role in this process because when a person remembers the option that they chose as being the best option, it should help reduce regret about their choice. This may represent a positive illusion that promotes well-being.

Beliefs about the choices one has made.
This factor refers to a persons perceived decisions concerning the choices they made, more specifically this includes memories that have been falsified to reflect a selected choice that the person did not actually make. Research illustrates that people favour the options they think they have chosen and remember the attributes of their "chosen choice" more vividly and favourably. Essentially, this influences assesses how one believes the choices they made affects their subsequent memories.[11] As a result, peoples memories are biased in favour of the option they thought they had selected rather than their actual choices

People's conception of who they are can be shaped by the memories of the choices they make; the college favored over the one renounced, the job chosen over the one rejected, the candidate elected instead of another one not selected.[18] Memories of chosen as well as forgone alternatives can affect one's sense of well-being. Regret for options not taken can cast a shadow, whereas satisfaction at having made the right choice can make a good outcome seem even better.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
B
B
k

M
M
Originally Posted by boe2
k

I couldn't agree more smile

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
+1? crazy

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What does this have to do with finicky boilers? smile

M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
What does this have to do with finicky boilers? smile

I thought you do not have a boiler?

D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Cognitive biases and biases in general are really interesting---especially the work of Daniel Kahneman.
The problem I have with it is that there are that many of them, it is difficult to recall every way the human mind indulges in bias when coming to make a decision.

I fear the only way we can ever cure these biases is if we hire a convention centre, purchase a lot of beer, and put on an every-4-year event where everybody brings their gear and shows everybody else their set-up, so we can all better understand what's out there whilst getting quite merry in the process. Obviously it should always be held in Manchester UK as that's my location bias.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Here is the text book about biases that we used in post-grad. Psychology if you are looking for more in-depth information:
https://www.amazon.com/Straight-Cho...&sprefix=straight+choices&sr=8-1

However if you are concerned about your biases, or whether you are making the right choice of piano for yourself or your loved ones then by all means ask here and we can all try to bias you further smile (in varying and conflicting directions!)

Last edited by Burkie; 02/27/20 12:22 AM.

Pianos are one of the best human inventions of the past 323 years - help evangelize the magic!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe the OP wanted to say, in a slightly roundabout way, that all you folks that claim the superiority of heavy keyboard actions suffer from "Choice-supportive bias" or "post-purchase rationalization" syndrome.
And, at the same time, all you folks that claim the superiority of light keyboard actions suffer from the same syndrome!
So, at the end, in this forum you are all sick! crazy Take care of yourself! laugh

@magicpiano: Don't let yourself get razzled up over this psychobabble. I don't even know how or why this subject came up.

K
K
All I know is that in about 2003 I bought my first Digital Piano - well not exactly it was a Yam 205 Clavinova. The thinking was to replace my mothers upright of undefined years, left to me and my Daughter, an 11 year old flutiestest was learning piano at school and the piano tech said the upright needed too much work to keep it good.

This was my perfect 'psychobabble' chance to get hold of a good keyboard (for me really he he) - get the psycho here. All good 'paid' for some piano lessons for Steff and I get the excuse to play something good for a change.

CVP205 later, had a ball - it still plays but over the years I had to become a pro keystick mechanic and now so many years later is rapidly dying.

I got no excuse now to buy a new one - so after a long time giving psycho babble messaging to my long suffering wife have managed to convince her that I do need a new one. ..... This has been my battle.

The key for me is on the first purchase 2003, I did not research a jot as the internet did not exist and my budge then was 2.3k - so 205 was near enough just over. No anguish just
bought it ... and from a local retailer. Simple.
Gave great pleasure (and Pain) over these years - so now today I am vexing over her replacement.

Wow look now! - tossing over Kawai, Yamaha, Ford. Standing on my head, no budget, Trying to be sensible in getting a current model - hmmmmm 1000 hours later - and organising an expedition across country
involving at least 6 people and an overnight stay etc. The thing is that the internet could/should have made this process really simple - just buy online and get on with it. Action? heavy or light? I feel sure they are mostly within limits? but no
I got to go and compare 40 models and lose most of my hair!

Interestingly, the proposed BIASED phyco model I would prefer on paper is the CA79 - this would be the latest thing not available, only just over the price I paid in the middle ages for the first one! - they may not have the colour, and nothing to compare it too, wait for delivery at about the same period of time as the "CA?? next model" comes out, and to cap it off most likely have 50% of the membership on here announce that my purchase is wrong, null and void and should have gone out and bought an Electric Car in stead - Oh wait someone just whispered that the latest cars now Levitate and my newly bought E car - nasty wheels cover the planet in plastic and rubber granules.

We cannot win! - So newbie psychobabble (stolen from MacMac above) advice alert - just go with instincts - try to go see and try if possible a buy the thing and play it!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You don't suffer from "Post-purchase rationalization" syndrome. You suffer from "PRE-purchase rationalization" syndrome. Quite similar, but quite different. But don't worry, after the purchase your syndrome will soon change in the "Post-purchase" type. laugh

K
K
LOL

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission