2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
51 members (butchkoch, Bachus, coaster, Craig Richards, CyberGene, Ctopher7, 11 invisible), 458 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Garritan cfx or else?
#2950618 02/23/20 05:10 PM
R
OP Offline
R
After a long search i finally bought yamaha N1, and i am very happy with it, now it is time for vst , is the garritan best Vst for the N1 ?

Re: Garritan cfx or else?
Rockatansky #2950818 02/24/20 04:16 AM
A
A
Garritan CFX is certainly one of the best and most popular VSTi-s. Your question, however, is as difficult as a question like "Which wine is the best". There exist various music goals, tastes, styles, budgets, and usages of piano plugins: for study, for recording (with or without other sounds), for accompaniment, for creating cinema music etc.

The best music plugin does not exist. The market situation sometimes is forcing us to buy several plugins. For example, I have about two dozens of them. Depending on the current goals, I sometimes prefer Garritan CFX, sometimes Ravenscroft-275, sometimes Alicia Keys or East West pianos. Every such plugin requires a work, sometimes time-consuming, for tuning their parameters in order to get the best playability and sound.

You will not regret buying Garritan CFX, however be ready to want some additional VSTi-s.

Last edited by Andrew_G; 02/24/20 04:20 AM.
Rockatansky #2950828 02/24/20 05:33 AM
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
There may be some who actively dislike it, some who have other preferences but I'd be surprised - if votes were counted - if Garritan's CFX didn't take 1st place for vst piano for ANY controller.

Rockatansky #2950830 02/24/20 05:49 AM
K
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
K
My thoughts on Garritan CFX Lite. It is a rich bright sound, it is very playable, a very even change in timbre with velocity so little in the way of unexpected change in timbre if you hit the note a little harder than intended. I do not like its pedalling. The timing is quite different to that of my DP such notes get unintentionally chopped off because the the pedal position is delayed. This can be adjusted to but I find switching between Garriton and other VSTs or the internal DP sound quite difficult.

I seem to end up using Synthogy Ivory II American Concert D (ACD) far more often than Garritan. ACD is however harder to control, a slightly higher unintended velocity can result in a significant change in timbre. I however enjoy its richer and more interesting sound compared to Garriton CFX. Pedalling is easier to get right though.

I think you can't go far wrong with buying Garritan CFX.

Rockatansky #2950843 02/24/20 06:37 AM
U
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
U
There are some great vst's out there, Garritan cfx is popular but not the only option.

Garritan cfx is great, I have it too (full) but you have to like the sound of the Yamaha CFX. Like KevinM i prefer Synthogy's American D, it has just such a beautiful tone and great dynamic range, but garritan cfx has better sustain.

I find Garritan cfx can sound a little "synthetic", a little "digital", which causes me to get bored with it's tone, and American D doesn't, it is inspiring. (to me)

I find both vst's to be very controllable.

Rockatansky #2950892 02/24/20 09:18 AM
R
OP Offline
R
thank you all, i saw video about Vienna Synchron Concert D-274 and it was nice , what do you think

Rockatansky #2950910 02/24/20 10:08 AM
U
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Rockatansky
thank you all, i saw video about Vienna Synchron Concert D-274 and it was nice , what do you think

I don't own it, but from what i heard and read it is an exceptionally good vst, if you like the German, modern, kind of cold Steinway tone of it. It's very different from an older and warmer American Steinway vst like Synthogy's American or Embertone Walker. If your looking for a Steinway with character i would look into these vst's. Quality wise, I think the vsl is probably the best.

Personally I am interested in the vsl Steinway. I went to a piano festival and the VSL d-274 sounds exactly like the Steinways i heard there, modern, powerful, but kind of cold.

Owners of it usually describe it's playability and dynamic range as pretty much the best there is.

Rockatansky #2950913 02/24/20 10:27 AM
G
G
Yep those are all good choices. I can relate about the Garritan's CFX sound, it can get a bit tiring if you are used to the Steinway sounds. But I always return to it because it is the best compromise between sound quality, playability and tolerable protection. The recorded reverb adds so much to the sound.
The VSL pianos are top of class in technical terms, but I just don't like their sound too much. Yes, the Steinway sounds very cold and lifeless to me personally ( to the point where it feels like it doesn't sound like a Steinway too much). Also you need a powerful CPU to run it with several mics. And, like all other VSL offerings, it uses eLicenser protection which requires the use of a dongle. The combination of those made me ultimately stop using it much.
I'd recommend Grandeur by Native Instruments. It has a beautiful tone and great playability, however it doesn't use real sustain samples. If you have American Concert D by Synthogy, then IMHO the Grandeur wouldn't be a step up from that.

Last edited by Grazilerimba; 02/24/20 10:31 AM.
Rockatansky #2950957 02/24/20 11:49 AM
O
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
O
Garritan CFX is an excellent VST.

I would also suggest considering VSL Concert D - if you purchase it directly from VST on their website, it is 'returnable' - so there is very little risk in trying it out (except for paying for the USB eLicenser if you don't already have one).

Osho

Mason & Hamlin BB
Kawai Novus NV10 + VST. Current VST favorites (in the order of preference): VSL Synchron Concert D//Garritan CFX/Pianoteq 6/Embertone Walker D Full

[Linked Image]
Rockatansky #2950963 02/24/20 12:02 PM
A
A
The iconic reverb of Abbey Road Studio is the characteristic quality of Garritan CFX.

This reverb is beautiful, but it has some negative effect. The sustain pedal resonance of the instrument is not distinct enough (at least, I didn't find the plugin parameter settings for making pedal resonance more distinct).

For playing something in expressionist, or intimate style, I prefer Synthogy ACD and, still better, Ravenscroft 275, especially its una corda mode that IMO does not have rivals in other piano plugins.

Rockatansky #2950989 02/24/20 01:13 PM
H
H
Garritan CFX, VSL D-274 and VSL CFX are my favorite. You can’t go wrong with Garritan unless you don’t like the reverb. While you do need to spend significant time to get a best setting for VSL since the default preset is almost unplayable.

Rockatansky #2950993 02/24/20 01:21 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I vote for "or else". That is ... I like the Garritan CFX, but I like the Steinway Vintage D more.

MacMacMac #2951044 02/24/20 03:28 PM
U
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I like the Steinway Vintage D more.

I like it too. It has "something" about the sound that others just don't have, it sounds really great. But at the same time it feels a little dated, and not as expressive as others like synthogy's ACD and Garritan cfx.

U3piano #2951066 02/24/20 04:49 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I like the Steinway Vintage D more.

I like it too. It has "something" about the sound that others just don't have, it sounds really great. But at the same time it feels a little dated, and not as expressive as others like synthogy's ACD and Garritan cfx.

Yeah I really wish it had sustain resonance samples. I was a bit disappointed in the Noire piano, the latest from the same dev (I think?). For such a modern piano library, it was still not having resonance samples. Could have been a kickass piano if it had, IMO.

Rockatansky #2951073 02/24/20 04:57 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes, I didn’t like the NI Noire even if I am found of other CFX : Garritan, VSL. The Noire is too muffled.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Scarlatti Themed Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:08 AM
Scarlatti Recital ready for listening!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:07 AM
30 days until Recital #59!
by Sam S - 07/15/20 07:04 AM
Kawai announces DG30 digital grand piano
by Kawai James - 07/15/20 06:01 AM
What to do when you get a new piano?
by Soojin - 07/15/20 01:52 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,267
Posts2,980,855
Members97,771
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission