2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
F
The world needs pop & classical pianists, both are valuable pursuits. And pop has a better chance of landing a paying gig.

So if money is a consideration, go pop.

Just do it. -- Nike
M
M
Just a quick note: Bohemian Rhapsody is NOT a pop song. And Firth of Fifth is heck NO a pop song smile

Originally Posted by Zaphod
Originally Posted by Mosotti
if we take as an example "Nothing Compares To You", even Vika's arrangement doesn't even comes close to Sinead's original version.

And how do you think the Prince version fares laugh?

Prince is the best, he was just amazing. Of course scoring a world wide hit is also a matter of luck and conjuncture, Sinead's version would probably not even be charting today... Imagine looking at a bald woman's head for 5 minutes in 2020.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
MIls, from reading your earlier posts I estimate you have been learning piano for approx 5.5 months. I have often written how I found the first year to be full of despondent lows, and although there were some really nice highs, overall I found it tough and I will never pine for those good old days smirk Perhaps we never hear from you when you are feeling good? The point is the first year can be really tough, the following years are tough but I think the first is the toughest.

When you were using Alfred's you wrote how you really hated it, (and I can understand that up to a point), but now it sounds like you have ditched the Alfred book and have crossed into classical pieces. However with so little experience you have to understand, it really doesn't matter what genre you are using, it just comes down to time on the bench. Yes, you have told us before you are practicing hard but feel like a failure, well that is the other problem of the first year, practicing hard and getting nowhere is just normal.

Looking back at my first year, I learned a lot of pieces but I only considered about three in the whole year as success's. I know that isn't a great count for the effort, but I feel you might get something out of piano if you really stick with a level appropriate piece, and get it to recording level. Even better post it on this forum and be proud of what you have achieved.

All the best.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Mosotti
Just a quick note: Bohemian Rhapsody is NOT a pop song. And Firth of Fifth is heck NO a pop song smile

Although Bohemian Rhapsody might not be a pop song to some, I think nine weeks at No 1 in the UK charts shows it was certainly popular.

My forum name suggests I might know a thing or two about Genesis. Selling England by the Pound (the album where you will find Firth of Fifth) tops some polls as the best progressive rock album ever (at least top ten in others), so yeah definitely not a pop song. However they did have a minor hit from this album with a song called I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), which was the very first time I heard the band.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Disagree. Both are Pop and both have been played to death on radio which proves it.

Never thought I'd see the day when U2 would be considered Pop, but even that has occurred. That is the whole point of this thread I think is that we see the category as different things.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener
Disagree. Both are Pop and both have been played to death on radio which proves it.

Never thought I'd see the day when U2 would be considered Pop, but even that has occurred. That is the whole point of this thread I think is that we see the category as different things.

This is reassuring. I was thinking it was my lack of knowledge that made it difficult to put non-classical music into subgenre categories. For example, I went to a recital this weekend and in some cases, I had trouble classifying some pieces in the subgenres of ambient music (e.g., Satie), contemporary minimalism (e.g., Einaudi), jazz (e.g., 9th chords), or Renaissance era (e.g., Dorian mode!), or even some blend of these and other subgenres. It's good to know that even much more experienced ears than mine also struggle to put music into different subgenres. 😀

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
5000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by earlofmar
Selling England by the Pound (the album where you will find Firth of Fifth) tops some polls as the best progressive rock album ever (at least top ten in others), so yeah definitely not a pop song. However they did have a minor hit from this album with a song called I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe), which was the very first time I heard the band.

Eh the polls are wrong. Nursery Cryme is the best Genesis album. grin

S
S
----------------

Last edited by sleutelbos; 02/24/20 09:11 AM.
S
S
Pop music can IMHO mean two distinct things (akin to the concept of 'classical music'). It can mean either all western music that is not 'classical' or 'jazz', or it can refer to a specific genre of 'pop music'. Justin Bieber would be pop in either case, U2 is pop in general sense but not the specific one. This is similar to how Chopin can be both classical in a broader sense and non-classical in a more specific sense. Some examples of 'pop piano music':

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission