2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
47 registered members (BeeZee4, Carey, Dfrankjazz, dbudde, clothearednincompo, Abdol, Bobby Badd, 11 invisible), 430 guests, and 406 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(Vent) I hate my new electric piano #2950794 02/24/20 01:53 AM
M
Mariner Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I spent US$2,000 (AUD$3,000) on a new Kawai electric piano. I won’t mention the model as I may re-sell it some day for an acoustic.

I don’t even know how it happened. I visited the piano store, tried out different electrics and acoustics in different price ranges and settled on this. I think I was overwhelmed by the choices available and just couldn’t think clearly. I even had a friend who plays piano well come down and try them out with me and whilst he initially didn’t like it he said after a while he got used to it and it was ok. I also had our piano teacher give his opinion and he said it’s fine. I bought it the same day because it was for a birthday gift for my child.

Yet when it was delivered to my home today (a new one, not the display one), I pressed a few keys and immediately hated it. Each key bounces up and down after release, so it feels like my fingers are suddenly on a vibrating engine each time the key reaches the top. Somehow I couldn’t notice this in the large store, but in the calmness of my home it was immediately apparent.

I can’t return it because it’s not faulty and it’s brand new. I live in a unit and have young kids who need to sleep early so I can’t have an acoustic. I can’t even bring myself to look at this gadget now. The sound is nice, and hopefully with time I’ll get used to it and tolerate it. I wouldn’t mind if it had only cost $50 because I don’t expect much for something cheap, but spending thousands of dollars on what feels like a toy is really disappointing.

Last edited by Mariner; 02/24/20 01:55 AM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950799 02/24/20 02:07 AM
P
Pianowill Offline
P
At $3k Aud. It sounds like a ca series kawai.

Ask the seller if u can exchange it.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Pianowill] #2950813 02/24/20 03:49 AM
M
Mariner Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Yes it’s the ‘Concert Artist’ series.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950815 02/24/20 04:07 AM
B
BachToTheFuture Offline
B
Perhaps you could try to play pieces you like just in order to become accustomed to tho keyboard.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950816 02/24/20 04:09 AM
N
Nip Offline
N
If you play yourself - how come so late in trying?
Approval all the way by those that assisted, but you never tried it.

If you think something is wrong - it's not.

It's tendenzy on my MP7SE but does not affect anything - never even thought about it as anything to worry about or care about.

I had Kurzweil and StudioLogic keyboards with FATAR keybeds that do this too. It's fully weighted keys - it got to bounce almost, just a little bit, if you hit hard and just release.

So I defend this functionality, unless something much worse that what's on mine.
Weight is all as it should, and put the right feel to a note is no problem.

I looked at a CA78 before getting MP7SE, due to the new longer keys more like acoustic grands, but felt it was convoluted in other ways with half thought through - no usb backup for piano itself, just for own recordings. The touch display menus did not have proper access to all things in settings like MP7SE do etc. Felt not fully finalized, like in a rush to get it to market. But these things may have been addressed in later firmware - it's all about firmware.

So rejected CA series for other reasons.

Just sell it, and take the loss as education money, it's what I do most of the time - unless you rethink and get comfy with it.

Kawai MP7SE - Hammond XK3c - Synthesizers
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950817 02/24/20 04:11 AM
O
o0Ampy0o Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I would go back to the store and play the display model again to see whether there is a difference. At the least this would help me understand my decision. If you are able to sense they are identical perhaps the environment altered your perception and you can make some adjustments to your home. Maybe it is the room size or acoustics? Activity going on while you play? If you are stuck with it you might be able to ease the pain and squeeze some enjoyment out of it adjusting your routine.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950819 02/24/20 04:16 AM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
From what you wrote, it seems that either you don't play yourself (only your son does) or that at least you don't have much experience.
If so, then you should know that some amount of (re-)bounce is normal with piano actions. The actual amount differs from piano to piano of course, but in the end, it doesn't really matter, because the pianist usually doesn't notice it anyway, because either you still put pressure on the keys (to hold them down to some amount), and then there won't be any bouncing, or you have released the keys in question, in which case you don't notice any bounce because you are no longer in contact with the keys.

I guess you have the CA48 or CA58 with the GFC action. Here's another thread about the bounciness of that action. The thread also links to other posts that have video examples that show the comparable bounciness of real acoustic grand pianos.
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2799966/kawai-ca58-bouncy-keys.html

So my suggestion would be: Don't sweat it. Your piano is fine, the bounciness is not a symptom of cheap quality.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: JoBert] #2950849 02/24/20 07:07 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JoBert
So my suggestion would be: Don't sweat it. Your piano is fine, the bounciness is not a symptom of cheap quality.

This.

It's a characteristic of real piano actions to some degree. It definitely does NOT make the Kawai 'toy like'.

Many would assert here that the CA series Kawais have the best key actions of any conventional digital pianos currently available.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 | Kawai VPC1
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950854 02/24/20 07:24 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What I didn't understand is if the OP is a pianist himself or he doesn't play it and he just bought the instrument for his child.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: magicpiano] #2950857 02/24/20 07:54 AM
S
sleutelbos Offline
S
Originally Posted by magicpiano
What I didn't understand is if the OP is a pianist himself or he doesn't play it and he just bought the instrument for his child.

He plays acoustic guitar, but at least until a few months ago not the piano. He also came from the perspective that a DP is not a 'real instrument', pondering whether it is better to just get a 'real instrument' of a completely different type if a acoustic piano is not an option (with his wife arguing getting a DP is fine if you want to learn to play the piano). I suspect this topic is the result of Mariner already having a pre-existing notion/expectation that the Kawai would be a 'toy' plus the lack of personal experience to notice it is not.

In any case, the CA48/58 is not a toy and his kid should be thrilled to have it.

Last edited by sleutelbos; 02/24/20 07:56 AM.
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950894 02/24/20 09:23 AM
M
Morten Olsson Offline
M
Mariner - you can definitely play an acoustic without waking up everyone. I used to have a Kawai K300 with a silent system that worked just fine even if I didn't care much for the digital sound. Newer models should have a better sound engine. I did however find that I usually preferred just playing with the practice pedal engaged when I wanted to be quiet and this is what I do with my current acoustic - a lovely old Yamaha U1.
If you have the room for it and don't like the digital you should consider a silent acoustic or just an acoustic with a practice pedal.

The bounciness on the Kawai digital action can indeed seem a bit odd but you'll get used to it in no time if you play the thing - I loved the action on the VPC1 I had for a short while and never paid much attention to the bounciness.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Morten Olsson] #2950897 02/24/20 09:32 AM
E
EssBrace Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Mariner - you can definitely play an acoustic without waking up everyone.....I usually preferred just playing with the practice pedal engaged when I wanted to be quiet and this is what I do with my current acoustic....

I think it's possible you are in a minority - maybe even a rather small minority. I think the practice pedal with that quiet, extremely muffled tone, totally lacking in harmonics, percussive character or bite is utterly useless in any musical sense. But that's just my opinion. You could practice scales, yes, but there's nothing musical to be enjoyed using the practice pedal.

C. Bechstein Model B | Roland RD-1000 | Kawai VPC1
Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: EssBrace] #2950899 02/24/20 09:45 AM
S
sleutelbos Offline
S
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
Mariner - you can definitely play an acoustic without waking up everyone.....I usually preferred just playing with the practice pedal engaged when I wanted to be quiet and this is what I do with my current acoustic....

I think it's possible you are in a minority - maybe even a rather small minority.

I doubt the smallness of that minority, given that quite a bit of the most popular modern piano music is based around such muffled, soft and felted/cottoned sounds (Joep Beving, Olafur Arnalds and Nils Frahm combined have +-6.5 million unique listeners per month on spotify alone and racked up billions of plays!) and the popularity of VSTs like OA Composer Toolkit, Noire and Woodchester piano.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950900 02/24/20 09:45 AM
M
Morten Olsson Offline
M
I think you are missing out EssBrace :-) I do agree that I'm probably in the minority on this one but dynamics are certainly not absent - just different. There's quite a bit of difference from pp to ff with the practice pedal engaged. The main thing that is missing with the practice pedal is harmonics with big chords etc - for some classical repetoire however it is quite pleasing.

Anyways - an acoustic with a "real" silent system could certainly be the way to go for many people.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950936 02/24/20 11:20 AM
MacMacMac Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My old Kawai upright had the practice felt operated by the center pedal. I had to use it for sanity's sake, but I'd not recommend the sound it produced. It exercised the fingers, but did not satisfy the ears.

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950988 02/24/20 01:08 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Maybe you could fill your piano room of soundproof panels (2 layers of them, if necessary) and play the acoustic normally...

Anyway, when the OP talked about 'electric piano' at first I thought of those old sound patches with that typical synth-like sound timbre... smile

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2950998 02/24/20 01:32 PM
C
clothearednincompo Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
An electric piano would be a Rhodes or Wurlitzer. I guess Hohner might have made some too. And there was of course the Yamaha CP70 and CP80 and several models from Kawai.

Anyway, they are "electro acoustic" pianos i.e. electronically amplified.

Vent over...😉

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2951015 02/24/20 02:18 PM
M
Martinez Online Happy
Online Happy
M
We're getting carried away from OPs message. Getting back to it, a Kawai CA DP was bought, the piano-playing friend said it is ok and the piano teacher said it is a fine instrument. OP apparently hates it and feels it is merely a toy.

I assume most here will agree that any Kawai CA is definitely not just a toy and definitely not crap. Some like it more, some like it less, as is the case with most things you can buy.

Mariner - what exactly is it you are looking to hear from us?

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: Mariner] #2951026 02/24/20 02:49 PM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
So, in the OP's mind, this is the new CA99:
[Linked Image]

Instead, this is from the "CN" series:
[Linked Image]

laugh

Re: (Vent) I hate my new electric piano [Re: magicpiano] #2951029 02/24/20 02:57 PM
M
Martinez Online Happy
Online Happy
M
Originally Posted by magicpiano
So, in the OP's mind, this is the new CA99:
[Linked Image]

Instead, this is from the "CN" series:
[Linked Image]

laugh

WHAT? This is not the new CA99? I just bought one of those to learn playing piano and didn't want to get confused by so many keys on the larger models...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How to play this measure from Kummer
by Gary001 - 04/01/20 02:29 PM
Pianist magazine back issues $2.99
by newer player - 04/01/20 02:18 PM
First post, full story and buying a Kawai CA48
by ECBetancor - 04/01/20 01:55 PM
MIDI Controller + Piano software? Help.
by Pil3up - 04/01/20 12:55 PM
Kawai VT: so... no Android app, uh?
by Ragtime2k - 04/01/20 12:41 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,839
Posts2,940,952
Members96,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission