2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Lately, I've been posting some of my short improvisations on Instagram. Sharing my own original musical creations with the world is not something I've done much of, but it's kind of inspiring to think about.

Now, I'm thinking: I would like to write some music for beginner or intermediate pianists.

Whatever I write is going to be comfortable to play, and will sound harder than it is. But, I need some ideas. So, I'm asking: what would you like to play?

This is just an experiment for now, and I will share the results with this forum.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
Lately, I've been posting some of my short improvisations on Instagram. Sharing my own original musical creations with the world is not something I've done much of, but it's kind of inspiring to think about.

Now, I'm thinking: I would like to write some music for beginner or intermediate pianists.

Whatever I write is going to be comfortable to play, and will sound harder than it is. But, I need some ideas. So, I'm asking: what would you like to play?

This is just an experiment for now, and I will share the results with this forum.

What a great idea! As a teacher, writing beginner repertoire that sounds musically appealing is a real challenge - so if you can come up with something like that it would really be great. I recommend you get a copy of some popular method books - like Piano Adventures at different levels to get an idea of what students would be capable of playing at those levels (so you don't write something that just would not suit beginners at all).

I'm not sure of your style of playing, but I think that a contemporary/new age sound would be the easiest way to make something that sounds appealing while staying within the limits of what beginners can do.

As a composer myself, I know that there is a huge difference between improv and composition. Have you ever written down what you've improvised and edited the content to make it a composed piece before? Often improvs lack a structure, and rather than developing ideas they usually are a series of new ideas. So this difference may be another challenge for you - not to discourage you in any way, just to point out the difference. Improv is a great way to come up with ideas, but that's only a small part of composing.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
A the moment I would like to play something between Rock, Boogie Jazz and pop, with rhythm and perhaps a part with a melody not to speed and a more rhythmic part. Something fun.

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
Online Content
Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture
A the moment I would like to play something between Rock, Boogie Jazz and pop, with rhythm and perhaps a part with a melody not to speed and a more rhythmic part. Something fun.

I've been doing this for several years now... but mostly writing my own songs and arrangements and posting them on my YT channel. Some are better than others, and none of them are all that good, but they are original, as a general rule.

But on occasion, one of my original music videos will get thousands of views, and sometimes hundreds of thousands. This is especially true for the boogie-woogie tunes.

And, you are right, it is fun and exciting to see how others respond to your original music/songs/compositions, for better or worse. And, just like in the real world, not everyone likes me or my music. smile

But it has been a really fun and enjoyable hobby.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I'm not sure of your style of playing, but I think that a contemporary/new age sound would be the easiest way to make something that sounds appealing while staying within the limits of what beginners can do.

I tend to be attracted to that sound as well, so that might be the direction I go in. Thanks for the tips.

Originally Posted by mcontraveos

The mode of discovery I use is improvisation, and I'm terrible at it... if you're sharing your improvisations with others, then you're probably quite accomplished already!

Eh, I don't know how accomplished I am as an improviser. Not a beginner, certainly, but sharing them with others is definitely on the more recent side.

Originally Posted by BachToTheFuture

What do you mean by "a melody not to speed"? Do you mean something that's not too fast?

Originally Posted by Rickster

But on occasion, one of my original music videos will get thousands of views, and sometimes hundreds of thousands. This is especially true for the boogie-woogie tunes.

Hey, that's pretty cool! I checked out your YouTube channel. I do like boogie-woogie piano, but honestly I haven't played it much...

I think my fame will occur posthumously. frown It might not be for writing music . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
H
H
Originally Posted by MichaelJK

Interesting topic. As an adult late starter I really hate a lot of children's learning pieces. It feels unimaginative to have to learn them. I responded really well to Bartok's Microcosmos. Graded pieces that are interesting on the ear from the beginning.

So I say:

I have adopted this and made it my own: [clap clap]
Cut back the weakness, reinforce what is strong. [repeat]

[guitar solo]
[fade over incoherent yelps]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by HC110

Interesting topic. As an adult late starter I really hate a lot of children's learning pieces. It feels unimaginative to have to learn them. I responded really well to Bartok's Microcosmos. Graded pieces that are interesting on the ear from the beginning.

Yeah, I agree that children's pieces can be unimaginative.

The other thing I'm considering is writing simpler arrangements of classical pieces. Most of those that are published seem to totally remove whatever made the original piece worth playing in the first place. Is there any interest in this?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
When writing beginner pieces, you have to consider including certain techniques of playing into them like separate notes, slurs, staccato, etc. You may be writing pieces in increasing difficulty starting with ones where a beginner would play 1 melody line alternating between L & R followed by simple 1 note bass accompaniment and then L chords.

There are already books where well-known Classical pieces are simplified and rearranged with just the main melody and simple L accompaniment / chords. You can take folk songs that everybody knows and turn them into easy arrangements.

P
P
As a very beginner I agree with others that I do not like a lot of children’s music. I also do not like turning classical music into melody and accompaniment either though. I rather it just be music types that are melody and accompaniment with cords already that slowly builds up skills and the amount of chords, dynamics, rhythms etc. I also feel like pieces are often so short. I think for both adults and older kids there definitely would be interest in something that uses different types of songs.

Last edited by Pianonewbie27; 02/23/20 02:08 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission