Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
118 registered members (Alex Hutor, accordeur, anotherscott, 90125, AaronSF, AZNpiano, AnnInMiami, 32 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295020
08/17/06 10:17 AM
08/17/06 10:17 AM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline OP
ERWANDY  Offline OP

MALAYSIA
Hi i need your opinion. Im 25yrs old piano lover, lived in Malaysia (hot/humid climate). When i was young,I learn piano using digital piano (yamaha clavinova CLP series),my family can't afford to buy acoustic piano, Eversince then, i kept my dream of havin one acoustic piano when i grow old. Now i have job of my own and afford to buy one Yamaha U1. Last 2 month i met with a piano dealer. He own a piano store. The dealer told me tht most of the pianos are from grey market. Somehow i found a yamaha U1 with a very
affordable price(around US1500). The serial no is 346664 (6 digits) and have word (nippon gakku) inside the piano. It comes with 2 pedals only. FYI...i did buy that piano..and it was the most stupid desicion i ever made. During tuning process i do asked the technician about my piano and he said that it was a recond piano...im soo sad to hear bout it..The piano sound arent nice too but compares to others at the store it was the best choice among the other. As the piano in good condition, (done voicing, tuning etc). My question : is there anyway i can make the sound nicer..Is it true that if u keep playing the piano for more than 3-5 years the sound would be nicer? Can this happens to my piano? If so, I would'nt be bother to trade for new one.I also found some cracks at the woodcase of the piano. Does the cracks affect the piano sound characteristic. Besides i found that my piano sound louder compares to some yamaha U1 at other piano shop near my town.I try to play some other U1 at the shop and their's sound beautiful and nicer compares to my U1 plus the sound not as loud as my U1..I wonder why..any explaination, suggetion, oppinion would be appreciate...... Now i lived in an appartment where loud sound is a consideration for the neighbourhood.(the technician suggested me to cover the soundboard with damper such as cloth, softboard, playwood etc)

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295021
08/17/06 10:08 PM
08/17/06 10:08 PM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Erwandy,

I am sorry that you are not happy with your purchase. But I think if that is the "most stupid" decision you ever made, then your life is going pretty well thus far. smile

$1500 US seems like a very good price for a U1. I suspect even if you decided to sell it you would be able to get close to that if not break even.

To answer (some of) your questions, what did your technician say about the sound? He would be the best person to tell you what could be done to improve the tone, since he has seen your piano.

I would not count on the sound improving after 3-5 years. If anything, the sound should become brighter as the hammers compress. But given that this is a used piano, I doubt you'll see a drastic change in the tone.

Cracks may or may not affect the sound of the piano. Again, your tech could tell you how serious the cracks are.

Your piano may sound louder compared to the ones in the showroom because of differences in room size etc.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295022
08/18/06 06:24 PM
08/18/06 06:24 PM
Durango Colorado
M
mdsdurango Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mdsdurango  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M

Durango Colorado
ERWANDY,
The Yamaha U1 is, for the most part, a stout piano.
Unless you purhcased a U1 that was highly abused it should be in fairly decent condition. You never know with a reconditioned piano. However, I would suggest, as Monica has already, that you contact a technician that you trust to give you the full scoop on your piano. After he has had a good look, and a thumbs up, thumb have him do a thorough regulation, tuning and voicing.
When I have a tech work on my piano I have only one request; "Make this the best piano that it can possibly be". Obviously, you can not make a 7' grand out of a U1, but you should be satisfied with the result.
Just a little bit more money spent might make silk of a sows ear.
Good luck,
Mike

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295023
08/18/06 10:23 PM
08/18/06 10:23 PM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline OP
ERWANDY  Offline OP

MALAYSIA
U guys..thank u soo much for the reply and suggestions, Actually im thinking of callin back my piano technician to go through again my piano, (last time i brought him to tune my piano about 3 months ago). Actually my piano sound ok..but very lack of bass..Is this happens to all U1 model..any chance i can improve on that.I want to make my piano sound brighter too ..since monica tell me about the sound be brighter from time to time (as the hammers compress)..
By the way, i begin to like my piano now.... again thank u soo much for all your advices.. this is THE BEST piano info resource .. well done.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295024
08/21/06 03:42 PM
08/21/06 03:42 PM
san jose
S
samantha10 Offline
samantha10  Offline
S

san jose
USD1500 is a really good price for the used U1. I'm thinking of getting a used one for myself but the dealers here are asking between USD3000---USD4500 for a used U1. If you're unsatisfied with the condition or tone of the piano, have a technician check it through thoroughly. Most technicians are happy to service Yamaha as they are considered one of the most frills-free acoustic pianos on the market. He/She will indicate to you what need to be fixed or replaced. Like most people on the forum, i agree that the U1 is truly a remarkable piano(in terms of price and quality). It's better to get it fixed sooner than to have your interest in piano diminished by the days when you encounter a not so playable instrument.

Regards,
Samanatha

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295025
08/21/06 03:47 PM
08/21/06 03:47 PM
Timonium, MD
Christopher P. Smith Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Christopher P. Smith  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Timonium, MD
keep in mind this piano is in Malaysia. You will never find a used U1 for $1500 in the states. We'll I should take back "never". You may find one thats been through a flood or fire for $1500

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295026
08/21/06 09:01 PM
08/21/06 09:01 PM
AUD
Jay Offline
Jay  Offline

AUD
ops double post..

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295027
08/21/06 09:11 PM
08/21/06 09:11 PM
AUD
Jay Offline
Jay  Offline

AUD
It is very sad that in Malaysia majority used imported piano from Japan usually starts from 25 years old onwards (some even 50-60 years old). It is rare/seldom you can get a fairly decent used Japanese piano (5-10 years old) like in the States. Furthermore, many of these used pianos do not receive proper repairs and replacements. They make sure it sounds right and all the keys are working. Parts are only replaced if needed. And, most of the used piano dealers are formerly teachers or music schools. They have no idea about the repairs works & about pianos. As far as I know there are less than 5 "real" piano shops in town (all carries only new pianos from Japan, Europe, America). The only good with the used pianos are they get new paint (2K paints) to make them look new. Some even change the key-top so it looks superb. Conclusion, all these pianos have nothing but new clothing.

Erwandy, based on the serial number you given, that piano is at least 41 years old. It is a lot of money at USD 1500 (RM 6000). Did you know with the money you have paid and by adding another few more $$ you can get a decent piano, brand new. I would suggest getting a technician to see what he thinks about the piano. Don’t be surprise that it may need a lot of repair. If possible, to contact the piano shop and ask if there is any way you get an exchange with another piano you like at the showroom. I read from newspapers that some of these dealers advertise “buy back guarantee with full payment within 1-5 years”.

When I first bought my own piano, I was also very tight with the budget. I stretch my budget a little bit (actually a lot, from a used japanese piano to a Petrof 131 laugh )to get a much better piano. Today, I never regretted paying a little more for a better piano because it is worth the price.

Regards.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295028
08/22/06 07:46 AM
08/22/06 07:46 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Actually USD1500 is very expensive for a 41 year-old Yamaha U1 in Malaysia as stated by Jay. I just bought a new piano too. It is a Challen 50" upright, cost me USD2600.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295029
08/22/06 08:55 PM
08/22/06 08:55 PM
AUD
Jay Offline
Jay  Offline

AUD
Here are the lists of some pianos which I have tried. If I am not mistaken are less than USD 3,000.00 and the respective dealers.

1) Samick (Indonesia), Nordiska (China), C.Steinbert, Barratt & Robinson, Challen - Vienna Music Sdn Bhd (Musical Product - factory)
2) Wagner (Hailun), Ritmuller, Pearl River, - Wagner Piano Sdn Bhd
3) Young Chang (China) - YC Music Sdn Bhd
4) Kawai KX (China) - RC Music / KC Lim & United
5) Yamaha LU 90/U1 (Indonesia) - Yamaha Malaysia

Lately, many used piano dealers are beginning to import new pianos from China. I was told that they are feeling a little pinch as the price is competitive, between new & used. I was shocked with funny brand names i.e. helicon??, sterney??, aladdin??, pianoman??, and so forth.

It is never too late to shop for a piano even if it takes months. Caution: What I've learned from the piano forum is not all Chinese pianos today are acceptable yet. Some are still below pars. Choose your dealer wisely.
Good luck.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295030
08/23/06 05:37 AM
08/23/06 05:37 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
I also found a Grotrian grand and the August Forster at Vienna music but the AF are made in Czech instead of German. I've tried the AF and it is great. Better than all the Challen, C.Steinbert, B&R etc.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295031
08/23/06 10:42 AM
08/23/06 10:42 AM
Timonium, MD
Christopher P. Smith Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Christopher P. Smith  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Timonium, MD
I will have to admit, I did not know this U1 was 40 plus years old. My apologies!

Representing Yamaha, Story and Clark, and other fine instruments
Menchey Music Service
Associate Member of PTG
Serving Central Pennsylvania and the Greater Baltimore Area
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295032
08/23/06 08:47 PM
08/23/06 08:47 PM
AUD
Jay Offline
Jay  Offline

AUD
jarjar
I played on the August Forster at Vienna too, beautiful beast. It's produced by Petrof co. and very similar to the Weinbach. According the Petrof agent, Wagner Piano, Petrof have dropped the AF production for some years now. The AF you saw was the last few batch that was assembled at the local factory -Musical Product (Malaysia).
Sadly, I don’t find AF from Germany, but I played one in Singapore, another different beast altogether.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295033
08/24/06 05:42 AM
08/24/06 05:42 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Aw, the AF that I tried was going for RM15k...It is a 131 model in black ebony. I should have strectched my budget and get it frown .

Kawai k8-as
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295034
08/24/06 07:03 AM
08/24/06 07:03 AM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline OP
ERWANDY  Offline OP

MALAYSIA
Hello jay and jarjar smile .. good to know someone from this forum is within same country malaysia as me ( im from kedah). Thanks to both of u.

Since my first post here..i learned a lot about what is good piano and what is bad piano..i also made alot of research about U1 (via internet and books). Now i think i understand more about it...

Its true jarjar..I did check with a yamaha retailer in regarding age of my piano and it
was built around 1965 (41 years old)... nearly as old as my dad (lol)and i am a victim of a counterfeit seller. My piano dont hv such value
as for USD1500 (RM6000). I went to a few other piano retailer regarding trade in value of my piano..as they only accept trade in for USD750=RM3000 (1/2 price of what i had purchased)..Some shop that i went agree to trade in with a value of USD1250(RM5000).. little less than what i purchased but theres a catch..
only if i trade in with their own range of piano (which all are used yamaha/kawai and recond).

So right now im a bit sad frown but I have no choice since i am in a very tight-tight budget.
..i have no more money to make a new purchase. Maybe i will use this piano for next 5 years (or more.. till i have extra budget to trade in) and when that time comes i will take extra-extra carefull in making good purchase desicion. Right now i just have to be happy with what i purchase.

Thank you for all your info and explanation..and also thank u to Monica Kern, mdsdurango, samantha10, and Christopher P. Smith for your advice and comment. You guys are great. I should hv pay all of u for your good consultation thumb ...
but sorry im broke right now ..lol..god bless all of u.

By the way i made a courtesy of taking some photo of my piano yamaha U1.
Just to share with u guys..

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/1.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/2.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/3.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/4.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/5.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/7.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/8.JPG
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/9.JPG

And also check this amazing kid (movie)..it really does
take my breath away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8d0P6zd1Hs&mode=related&search=
I will check this tread from time to time..chow...

regards,
ERWANDY

ohh sorry..last minute question..what is the best polish for this kind of piano. I want to get rid of small scratch on the surface. Any good suggestion of buffing an old piano to make it look shine and new?..tq

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295035
08/24/06 08:06 AM
08/24/06 08:06 AM
Lexington, Kentucky
Monica K. Offline

Monica K.  Offline

Lexington, Kentucky
I'm glad to hear from you, Erwandy... I was afraid you might have disappeared into the internet void.

I'm not surprised that the dealers only offered you half of what you paid for the piano. After all, they will have to put some money into it before they can resell it (tuning, etc.), and they need to make a profit, too. wink

When you're ready to upgrade, I'd suggest trying to sell it on the private market first, through the newspaper or internet. I suspect at that point you could get what you paid for it, or very close to that. Then just take the cash to the dealer of your choice and buy the piano you want.

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295036
08/24/06 08:27 AM
08/24/06 08:27 AM
Marietta, GA
Les Koltvedt Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Les Koltvedt  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Marietta, GA
I can see your hammers are groove some and you will probably see a tone difference by having them filed.

On the 10 yr old....AMAZING.

btw...tks for the pics

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta Area.
www.well-lovedpiano.com/atlanta-piano-technicians/
PTG Associate
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295037
08/24/06 08:30 AM
08/24/06 08:30 AM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline OP
ERWANDY  Offline OP

MALAYSIA
Thanks monica for ur advice..i will try to sell it on private market fish..just like what u suggested..

Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295038
08/24/06 09:17 AM
08/24/06 09:17 AM
Malaysia
jarjar Offline
jarjar  Offline

Malaysia
Hi,
Your piano still looks good smile . No worries, you could always upgrade your piano later.

Kawai k8-as
Re: Help me ..Question on yamaha U1 #295039
08/24/06 10:31 AM
08/24/06 10:31 AM
MALAYSIA
ERWANDY Offline OP
ERWANDY  Offline OP

MALAYSIA
Im intrested in hearing more from Monster M&H, regardin ur suggetion on fillin hammers which have groove and will probably see a tone difference by having them filed. Is this process is same process call voicing?... and wht type of material can i use to fill the hammer...sorry as Im a beginner in piano technical stuff.. and im eager to learn more. laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Nord Piano Monitors
by PianoManChuck. 01/21/19 05:38 PM
Questions about Pianoteq 6 and Kawai CA98
by ADWyatt. 01/21/19 01:25 PM
Question about Yamaha DGX-660
by MikeSD. 01/21/19 12:06 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,714
Posts2,784,457
Members92,186
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission