2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
24 registered members (Eric399, astrotoy, BachToTheFuture, David B, Abdol, Bett, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 426 guests, and 312 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
When to practice with pedal? #2949967 02/21/20 10:12 PM
B
baudelairepianist Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I'm starting on the Chopin preludes (currently looking at prelude 1) and was curious regarding how others approached pedal practice,

Is it more efficient to learn the piece without pedal and then relearn it with pedal or to include the pedal when working on sections?

Also would dynamics be practiced in the same manner?

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2949990 02/21/20 11:42 PM
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you are just starting with the Chopin Preludes I wouldn't start with the first one since it's kind of middle difficulty as far as the Preludes are concerned. About 1/3 of the Preludes are quite easy, 1/3 are horrendously difficult, and 1/3 are somewhere between those extremes.

Some beginners find it necessary to learn just the notes and rhythms in a piece first so they can concentrate on one thing at a time, but I think most more advanced pianists include pedaling and dynamics in their practice from the beginning.

Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950047 02/22/20 05:53 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As you memorise the notes first, I would leave pedalling until later. Divide and conquer.

Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950055 02/22/20 06:22 AM
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Me too when I learn a new passage of a piece, at first I focus first on learning the notes without pressing the pedal. It could be too distracting if you use the pedal from the beginning. Then, when I'm confident enough, I begin to use the pedal (where appropriate) and I focus on tempo and dynamics. Usually I'm playing very very slowly at first, then I gradually increase tempo until I get a passage right.

Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950074 02/22/20 09:33 AM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ideally, every aspect of the music would be studied from the beginning.

In this case (the OP uses Synthesia to learn) it's probably more efficient to just concentrate on the notes first.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/22/20 09:34 AM.
Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950079 02/22/20 10:01 AM
Seeker Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by baudelairepianist
I'm starting on the Chopin preludes (currently looking at prelude 1) and was curious regarding how others approached pedal practice,

Is it more efficient to learn the piece without pedal and then relearn it with pedal or to include the pedal when working on sections?

Also would dynamics be practiced in the same manner?

It all depends on how difficult a new piece is relative to your abilities as a pianist and musician. For example, take the opening theme from Mozart's "12 Variations on 'Ah, vous dirai-je maman'", also known as "Twinkle, twinkle, little star". The opening theme is stated in a straightforward and simple manner. IMO, an intermediate level pianist would be able to read the notes and incorporate appropriate dynamics and pedaling from the get go. (We adjust pedal and dynamics in real time to what is indicated in the score and how it sounds on a particular piano in a particular location).

On the other hand, Godowsky's transcription of Chopin's Etude Op10 #1 is something that almost any of us would have to read slowly - perhaps even hands separately - just to get the notes. For anyone taking on that level piece, initial pedaling and dynamics would come instinctively and would be refined as the notes were mastered, and we listened to what comes from the instrument.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950125 02/22/20 12:01 PM
H
Hakki Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
H

Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950153 02/22/20 01:01 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
For me, it really depends upon the piece whether or not I use the pedal in initial practice or whether I apply it later.

Learning the Liszt Consolation No. 3, I use the pedal (and the sostenuto pedal) from the outset. There, learning and obtaining the balance depends upon a sustained left hand arpeggiated accompaniment supporting a right hand melody. The only way to get that sustained accompaniment and achieving the balance I am looking for is with the use of the damper pedal; I can't imagine practicing it without it.

Learning the Schubert Impromptu, Op. 90, No. 2, I do a lot of practice without pedal as the "A" section is nothing but a series of scales, and the evenness and clarity of execution are paramount, so, no pedal while practicing. Ultimately in performance there is little pedal used in this work, anyway. Except for touches of the damper pedal for the addition of a little tonal colour, one could play the entire "A" section without pedal, even in performance.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950177 02/22/20 02:03 PM
MichaelJK Offline
Ideally, you want to do everything simultaneously. But, the way you ask the question suggests to me that you are feeling overwhelmed trying to do it all at the same time.

So, ease yourself into this gradually. As you play, don't think too hard about pedal, but let yourself be open to using it. Ignore the pedal most of the time, but every once in a while, when you feel inspired, play with it a bit.

Same thing with dynamics. Focus mainly on the notes for now, but if you happen to feel inspired to play louder or softer at a given moment, just let yourself go with it. Even if it's not what's marked in the score. Right now, that's not the point.

Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950227 02/22/20 03:56 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
The question james does not have a easy straight forward answer. For your 1st prelude I had a look at the score since I am playing the last chopin prelude at the moment. With that the pedal suggestion is pedal change at the start of each bar. It is the easiest pedal suggestion possible so I would pedal from the start. With the last prelude I am working on I follow the markings in the score from the start. My teacher went through pedal suggestions and alterations only once I had the notes a little secure but I generally would pedal from the start. There are some exceptions. There is a particularly hard cadenza in this prelude. For that I had to do hands separately, then hands together and the pedal was only included at the end once I could play the hands together where the notes were a little secure. So there are times you may have to include the pedal in later but generally I would just play pedal and dynamics from the start. It does depend on the piee. Good luck with the preludes. I am a bit unsure of the preludes myself. Are they meant to be played on after another in a complete set ? Some are only 8 bars long and snippets of music so I did not really understand how they fit together.

Last edited by Moo :); 02/22/20 03:59 PM.
Re: When to practice with pedal? [Re: baudelairepianist] #2950236 02/22/20 04:13 PM
W
wszxbcl Offline
W
My feet are always on the pedals anyway in my sitting position. So even when I'm just learning a piece, when it feels (sounds) right, the feet will naturally pedal. It may not be good pedaling but it's part of learning the piece and I don't worry if I pedal too little or too much. I think it's the same with dynamics. You include it because it sounds right and so you're going to have some dynamics just because you can't help it.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recent Recordings - Music Conservatories
by Rhapsodyinblue - 04/01/20 12:04 AM
Best teachers in the U.S., redo
by Radio1ogy - 03/31/20 11:52 PM
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,830
Posts2,940,766
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission