2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (AndrewJCW, 3B43, accordeur, Abdol, 8ude, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 676 guests, and 548 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Piano is not a hobby
MichaelJK #2948330 02/18/20 01:18 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
In my younger days I didn't have the confidence & technical abilities to get into piano. As an adult learner, I'm not becoming a professional performer. A lot of adults take up piano as a hobby with no expectation of becoming a concert pianist.

Coming from a non-musical family, everybody around is into business & finance. Unless someone is a virtuoso who can earn an income with his/her performances, Family members would talk about making money at get-togethers but not music. Others in the family wouldn't consider piano as a hobby because they have the old idea you need a teacher to guide you along the way. People get into painting as a hobby but not everybody is comfortable picking songs and learning them on their own.

My parents discouraged me from spending too much time playing piano. They thought that the important thing in life is to focus on making money. Unless someone is earning an income with their playing, sorry. Otherwise I don't rely on a teacher or play only the pieces a teacher feel is at my level. Like painting & photography, playing piano is 1 hobby that would last a lifetime. Playing piano/keyboard is a hobby to most people who are not earning an income for their music and play regularly like doing their morning exercises. In a personal way, playing music is something nobody in my family would do and define me as an unique individual who don't follow family traditions like spending your spare time in front of the TV.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
MichaelJK #2948338 02/18/20 01:59 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Apparently, the Etude Magazine was a magazine for music professionals. Teachers and such.
Maybe they didn't believe that your profession could also be a hobby. And maybe that's one reason why the Etude Magazine does not exist anymore. wink

My grand piano is a Yamaha C2 SG.
My other Yamaha is an XMAX 300.
thepianoplayer416 #2948523 02/18/20 11:52 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
In my younger days I didn't have the confidence & technical abilities to get into piano. As an adult learner, I'm not becoming a professional performer. A lot of adults take up piano as a hobby with no expectation of becoming a concert pianist.

Coming from a non-musical family, everybody around is into business & finance. Unless someone is a virtuoso who can earn an income with his/her performances, Family members would talk about making money at get-togethers but not music. Others in the family wouldn't consider piano as a hobby because they have the old idea you need a teacher to guide you along the way. People get into painting as a hobby but not everybody is comfortable picking songs and learning them on their own.

My parents discouraged me from spending too much time playing piano. They thought that the important thing in life is to focus on making money. Unless someone is earning an income with their playing, sorry. Otherwise I don't rely on a teacher or play only the pieces a teacher feel is at my level. Like painting & photography, playing piano is 1 hobby that would last a lifetime. Playing piano/keyboard is a hobby to most people who are not earning an income for their music and play regularly like doing their morning exercises. In a personal way, playing music is something nobody in my family would do and define me as an unique individual who don't follow family traditions like spending your spare time in front of the TV.

I'm glad that you are taking music more seriously than your family does.

People use words like "hobby" because they want to separate it from their "real work". Don't do this. It doesn't have to make you money for you to take it seriously.

MichaelJK #2949057 02/19/20 12:41 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Telepathy was a great hobby in 1955? I guess we need to find some old folks still into this hobby :-)
Maybe some here on PW?

>Wouldn't it be fun to get together and have a hobby show? But, alas, that is not possible

We do have shows, like the ABF recitals. We also collect photos of pianos here (some threads) and more.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
dobro #2949058 02/19/20 12:43 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by dobro
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Looks like telepathy to me. The article is from 1955. I don’t know but maybe it was a different world back then? Telepathy, UFOs, Bermuda Triangle, Twilight Zone?

That would be quite a hobby but we have texting these days which is probably less taxing on the brain.

Yes but with texting you have the problem of the fake news. Telepathy might solve that?

wouter79 #2949084 02/19/20 01:24 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wouter79
Telepathy was a great hobby in 1955? I guess we need to find some old folks still into this hobby :-)
Maybe some here on PW?

I remember back in the 70's, I was an apprentice at the Training School local. A lad i knew had his identity (Clocking in) card in his hand, number facing him.
He looked at me. "What's my number?" he simply asked.
I knew, though I'd never seen it. He didn't seem surprised. There was no further discourse about that, though he was in the same place as me for the duration of the course.
I won't mention UFOs . . . . .well, I might, but I'd have to find the piano connection first . . . .Just gimmee some time . . .

Last edited by peterws; 02/19/20 01:25 PM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
peterws #2949091 02/19/20 01:33 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by peterws
Maybe some here on PW?

I remember back in the 70's, I was an apprentice at the Training School local. A lad i knew had his identity (Clocking in) card in his hand, number facing him.
I knew, though I'd never seen it. He didn't seem surprised. There was no further discourse about that, though he was in the same place as me for the duration of the course.
I won't mention UFOs . . . . .well, I might, but I'd have to find the piano connection first . . . .Just gimmee some time . . .

You mean, you said the number and it was correct?

Reminds me of a case where I was on a birthday party .Someone came in with a big box, nicely packed. I said, I think somewhat in jest, "oh nice, you give her a microwave ?". At that time, these were pretty expensive, not something usual for a birthday gift. The whole room fell silent. It showed that I was right, but apparently the others knew also that the birthday girl hated microwaves.

wouter79 #2949337 02/20/20 01:21 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Maybe some here on PW?

You mean, you said the number and it was correct?

Reminds me of a case where I was on a birthday party .Someone came in with a big box, nicely packed. I said, I think somewhat in jest, "oh nice, you give her a microwave ?". At that time, these were pretty expensive, not something usual for a birthday gift. The whole room fell silent. It showed that I was right, but apparently the others knew also that the birthday girl hated microwaves.

Telepathic persons tend to aggravate everyone except themselves. but , I bet they know that. A different kind of soothsayer...(sounds like a title of a song0 LOL

MichaelJK #2949727 02/21/20 06:22 AM
M
M
Piano is not a hobby, it's an expensive hobby laugh

MichaelJK #2949971 02/21/20 09:35 PM
H
H
Playing piano isn't a hobby folks. It is an addiction. you all need help! :P

6 years learning the ukulele and started playing toy piano in late July 2019
HarmonySmurf #2949983 02/21/20 10:16 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf

Playing piano is therapy.

HarmonySmurf #2949984 02/21/20 10:19 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf

And we are here seeking help to further the addiction, not to break free of it. 😄

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Parents wanting more work - student not ready/interested
by Kyle J. Smith - 01/18/21 06:24 PM
Kurzweil ka130 vs Casio px770 vs...
by Ninchie007 - 01/18/21 04:45 PM
Refurb or Trade for a Rebuild
by brdwyguy - 01/18/21 04:22 PM
VST Spreadsheet not Available on Sticky Thread
by Harpuia - 01/18/21 02:57 PM
Roland FP Advice
by LongTimeNoSee - 01/18/21 01:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,365
Posts3,048,581
Members100,115
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission