2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Balcon, Charles Cohen, Bourniplus, AcousticAndre, Bill Bremmer RPT, Beemer, Carey, Chernobieff Piano, BeeZee4, 11 invisible), 422 guests, and 383 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Rate my staccato techniques please #2949504 02/20/20 01:42 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N

Hello everyone!

For the past month, I have been playing 3 pieces to practice and develop my wrist and forearm staccato techniques, and I would like some feedback to know how I am doing.

Just so you guys can situate my music/piano level, I have a university degree in music composition, so I have a lot of knowledge on theory and composing. During my studies, I used the piano to compose, but never really practiced the instrument (improving technique and playing, scales/arpeggios, learning pieces, etc..) Now, I would like to develop really good pianistic skills, so I started practicing seriously (approx. 2hours each day) for about 1 year.

I got myself a teacher that suggested me those 3 pieces to develop my staccato techniques. He told me that I am doing pretty well and that those skills will further develop over the next years (which I understand), but I kinda am a technique freak and I would like to know if I am doing the best I can at my level, so that's why I am asking feedback from this community.

Here is a dropbox link of videos of me performing those pieces and, for convenience, the music sheets :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3xsqh1d49tl0u8p/AADh0tkFnP_Ei5kM8OfkUBrga?dl=0

Please feel free to comment on anything you think I can improve at my level, not only the staccato but my playing in general. I thank you in advance for your help!

Nicolas

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949550 02/20/20 04:34 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome Nicholas. Have you not got a teacher who will be better to advise you ? I am not very clear what you mean by wrist and forearm staccato so am definitely not going to give an comment on technique. My suggestion for staccato in generally would be to consider that each staccatos in relation to the piece. It sounds at the moment all the staccatos are all the same intensity. You need to play them of different intensities and this is true even without staccato. An example may be a piece in 2/4 with 4 quaver staccato. Most people would play the staccatos on the beat louder (in particularly the 1st quaver of the bar louder, the 3rd quaver slightly louder on the other beat of each bar). The staccatos off the beat (2nd and 4th quavers) would be quiter. e.g. DA... da.... Da..... da... ; DA... da.... Da..... da....etc.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949552 02/20/20 04:36 PM
M
Moo :) Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My comment was only a general comment. There are many pieces where you may play all the staccato the same intensity and in others where the off beat staccato are louder. It was just a general musical suggestion.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949574 02/20/20 05:40 PM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After watching the three videos, my comment is as follow :

1. Your left hand wrist looks stiff, do you feel tired?
2. You press on the surface only, not deep enough. The sound is thin.
3. There is no shaping of the melody, all of them are just flat (no musical direction).

Ron

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949651 02/20/20 10:54 PM
MichaelJK Offline
Originally Posted by Nicolas J.

Please feel free to comment on anything you think I can improve at my level, not only the staccato but my playing in general. I thank you in advance for your help!

I'm not a big fan of this game. I would rather you describe a problem that you have and that you can't seem to solve on your own. I could then give you feedback that would be far more useful to you than if I start talking about a problem that you might not even see yourself.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949701 02/21/20 04:58 AM
I
Iaroslav Vasiliev Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
May I say one thing that in my mind is more important now than the staccato? Your fingers that don't play notes at a moment look very tense. If you look closely you will notice that often when you play a note with a finger, or two notes with two fingers, your other fingers straighten out and tense up. This is something that terribly hinders good playing. You need to learn to keep fingers that don't play notes at a moment relaxed. And your wrists seem not to be relaxed enough, too. You need to work on it before proceding to other technique elements, or otherwise you may learn bad habits. There are many videos on YouTube on wrist and hand relaxation when playing.

| Taa atu uka taa aatk tuku taka tuku |
Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949707 02/21/20 05:27 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I got myself a teacher that suggested me those 3 pieces to develop my staccato techniques. He told me that I am doing pretty well and that those skills will further develop over the next years (which I understand), but I kinda am a technique freak and I would like to know if I am doing the best I can at my level, so that's why I am asking feedback from this community.

Nicolas

There are plenty of things that can be improved as is the case for all intermediate level players. I think the forum is nor really suited for a lenghtly feedback.

In terms of staccato, you forget to mention the usual and most used type of staccato which is the finger staccato, either standalone or in combination with the wrist or the forearm (the wrist participates in most cases, it is just a matter of degree). Btw you are using it in one your video which you call wrist staccato when essentially it is a lot of finger staccato. The pure wrist staccato is used for octaves. Otherwise it is mostly combined with some finger staccato. Using some wrist allows to get a more softer type of staccato or in rapid runs.

There is an issue with your forearm staccato in the sense that it is usually used for very incisive or powerfull staccato and not for the type of light, poco staccato type appropriate for the music you are playing. So for one it would not be the technique i would use for this type of music and secondly you are getting a very thin, light staccato which is not the output that this technique is supposed to produce.

You would need to better understand first what each technique is used for. There are many nuances of staccato, sweet and gentle, nearly legato, detached, short and light, short and incisive, forcefull. It can also apply to individual notes, sequences, octaves or sixth, and so on. The technique to execute octave staccato is different from the individual note staccato. The staccato to apply to a run like a scale is a different practice than 1 or 2 notes staccato.

So first you need to go back to the different effects that you can obtain and then study what would be the appropriate technique to obtain that effect. Then you can practice the appropriate technique to produce the result that is proper for the music you are playing.

Also, i am not sure if your digital piano has fully weighted keys. If that is not the case, it is not very usefull to study staccato on a light action mechanism because you will not get the sense of the weight you really need to apply.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: MichaelJK] #2949873 02/21/20 04:19 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by MichaelJK

I'm not a big fan of this game. I would rather you describe a problem that you have and that you can't seem to solve on your own. I could then give you feedback that would be far more useful to you than if I start talking about a problem that you might not even see yourself.

Well, I kinda had this impression on my own (and when reading other comments, it valids what I thought), my playing (in general, not only when playing staccatos) is really mechanic and lifeless. Again, I repeat that I have only been practicing piano for 1 year, but I'm wondering if, at my level, there is something I can do to fix that.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Sidokar] #2949878 02/21/20 04:37 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by Sidokar

Nicolas

There are plenty of things that can be improved as is the case for all intermediate level players. I think the forum is nor really suited for a lenghtly feedback.

In terms of staccato, you forget to mention the usual and most used type of staccato which is the finger staccato, either standalone or in combination with the wrist or the forearm (the wrist participates in most cases, it is just a matter of degree). Btw you are using it in one your video which you call wrist staccato when essentially it is a lot of finger staccato. The pure wrist staccato is used for octaves. Otherwise it is mostly combined with some finger staccato. Using some wrist allows to get a more softer type of staccato or in rapid runs.

There is an issue with your forearm staccato in the sense that it is usually used for very incisive or powerfull staccato and not for the type of light, poco staccato type appropriate for the music you are playing. So for one it would not be the technique i would use for this type of music and secondly you are getting a very thin, light staccato which is not the output that this technique is supposed to produce.

You would need to better understand first what each technique is used for. There are many nuances of staccato, sweet and gentle, nearly legato, detached, short and light, short and incisive, forcefull. It can also apply to individual notes, sequences, octaves or sixth, and so on. The technique to execute octave staccato is different from the individual note staccato. The staccato to apply to a run like a scale is a different practice than 1 or 2 notes staccato.

So first you need to go back to the different effects that you can obtain and then study what would be the appropriate technique to obtain that effect. Then you can practice the appropriate technique to produce the result that is proper for the music you are playing.

Also, i am not sure if your digital piano has fully weighted keys. If that is not the case, it is not very usefull to study staccato on a light action mechanism because you will not get the sense of the weight you really need to apply.

Thank you very much for your feedback, my piano indeed has weighted keys but not FULL weighted keys, and I don't have the opportunity to buy or practice on a real piano / digital piano with full weighted keys. Would you recommend to stop practicing staccato at all until I get the chance to practice on something better?

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2949948 02/21/20 08:56 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I wouldn't worry too much about your playing sounding "mechanical" at this point because you have only been playing for a year. I think some posters don't take a player's experience into account when making suggestions and can be overly critical. Comments that might be appropriate for someone with two or five years experience are not always appropriate for those with only one year of experience.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950005 02/22/20 12:43 AM
MichaelJK Offline

Well, I kinda had this impression on my own (and when reading other comments, it valids what I thought), my playing (in general, not only when playing staccatos) is really mechanic and lifeless. Again, I repeat that I have only been practicing piano for 1 year, but I'm wondering if, at my level, there is something I can do to fix that.

If you feel like your playing is lifeless, there is a simple fix for this: put life into it.

That may sound stupidly obvious, but it's not. You know when it feels lifeless, and deep down, you know what it would take to bring it to life.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where you were completely bored out of your mind? Where you had absolutely no interest in what the other person was saying? And yet, I'm assuming that you wouldn't have felt comfortable saying that to them, even though it would have fixed your boredom.

Piano playing is very much like that. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and do something that's socially unacceptable, in order to make things interesting...

There's no need to wait another few years. Do it now.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950006 02/22/20 01:01 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
Your playing is okay. It is a good thing that you are concerned about your touch. However, your instrument is very uneven, and that may impede your progress.

Semipro Tech
Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950064 02/22/20 07:36 AM
S
Sidokar Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Thank you very much for your feedback, my piano indeed has weighted keys but not FULL weighted keys, and I don't have the opportunity to buy or practice on a real piano / digital piano with full weighted keys. Would you recommend to stop practicing staccato at all until I get the chance to practice on something better?

You can, of course continue practising. It is just that you will not feel as well the difference in the touch to get a light or a sharp staccato. If the keys are not fully weighted, you will not feel how much more strenght you need to apply to get a stronger sound and thus why using the forearm and shoulder helps. In any case, i think you can certainly study the various types of staccato , when it is appropriate to use them and how to execute them. But the sooner you get a real action keyboard the best it is because you will have to repractise again.

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: pianoloverus] #2950127 02/22/20 12:07 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I wouldn't worry too much about your playing sounding "mechanical" at this point because you have only been playing for a year. I think some posters don't take a player's experience into account when making suggestions and can be overly critical. Comments that might be appropriate for someone with two or five years experience are not always appropriate for those with only one year of experience.

Thank you for your comment, it reassures me a lot! =)

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: MichaelJK] #2950133 02/22/20 12:20 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N

If you feel like your playing is lifeless, there is a simple fix for this: put life into it.

That may sound stupidly obvious, but it's not. You know when it feels lifeless, and deep down, you know what it would take to bring it to life.

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where you were completely bored out of your mind? Where you had absolutely no interest in what the other person was saying? And yet, I'm assuming that you wouldn't have felt comfortable saying that to them, even though it would have fixed your boredom.

Piano playing is very much like that. Sometimes you have to take a risk, and do something that's socially unacceptable, in order to make things interesting...

There's no need to wait another few years. Do it now.

Thank you for your comment Michael! I see what you mean, I'll try to put more life into it! =)

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950145 02/22/20 12:43 PM
johnstaf Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Just enjoy what you have and make the best of it. Learning music should be enjoyable regardless of the instrument. If you get a different piano in a couple of years, it won't really matter what you played on before that. Have fun! 😁

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: BDB] #2950146 02/22/20 12:44 PM
N
Nicolas J. Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Originally Posted by BDB
Your playing is okay. It is a good thing that you are concerned about your touch. However, your instrument is very uneven, and that may impede your progress.

I think my piano is indeed uneven. It is supposed to be weighted: '' features a graded hammer standard (GHS) keyboard. The feel of the keyboard gradually changes according to the register, so that it feels heavier when playing bass parts and lighter when playing treble parts.'' but in my opinion it is badly calibrated, as much for the action as the velocity mapping... such a shame for a 1k piano... Anyways, thank you for your comment, it reassures me!

Last edited by Nicolas J.; 02/22/20 12:45 PM.
Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950171 02/22/20 01:56 PM
MichaelJK Offline

Thank you for your comment Michael! I see what you mean, I'll try to put more life into it! =)

I hope you post another video. I'd be really curious to see the difference!

Re: Rate my staccato techniques please [Re: Nicolas J.] #2950189 02/22/20 02:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
It is not so much the weight of the hammers, the sampling itself does not sound good, although it could be that the sensor strips are worn. Perhaps both.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI Controller + Piano software? Help.
by Pil3up - 04/01/20 12:55 PM
Kawai VT: so... no Android app, uh?
by Ragtime2k - 04/01/20 12:41 PM
8DIO 1985 Yamaha C5 - 70% off
by newer player - 04/01/20 12:13 PM
Suggestion on what to buy...used Kawai CA67 or
by Rockappalla - 04/01/20 08:23 AM
Yamaha P515 v. Kawai Es8
by MacDaddyGator - 04/01/20 07:12 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,838
Posts2,940,916
Members96,437
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission