2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2949332 02/20/20 01:29 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
New at this. Would like your opinions. After not playing for 20 years I am searching for 6'4" up to 7 '6" grand piano. I have learned a ton but having trouble making final decisions.
I have found a 1916 Steinway B, 1894 Steinway C, new and 1990s Grotrian, 2005 and 2016 Shigeru Kawai and possibly new Estonia 190 and Stenway A III that needs rebuilding that I like. Not enough options close to me to try so have relied on videos, this forum and other readings.
Just finished The Grand Obsession which turned me to the beautiful sound of Grotrian.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

N Artur #2949342 02/20/20 02:47 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by N Artur
New at this. Would like your opinions. After not playing for 20 years I am searching for 6'4" up to 7 '6" grand piano. I have learned a ton but having trouble making final decisions.
I have found a 1916 Steinway B, 1894 Steinway C, new and 1990s Grotrian, 2005 and 2016 Shigeru Kawai and possibly new Estonia 190 and Stenway A III that needs rebuilding that I like. Not enough options close to me to try so have relied on videos, this forum and other readings.
Just finished The Grand Obsession which turned me to the beautiful sound of Grotrian.

N Arthur:

Welcome to Piano World.

I am not sure what opinions you would like, based on your post, but in theory, at least, you are looking at some good names.

The first rule of thumb that I am sure you must have learned is that you should never buy - or consider buying - a piano that you haven't played, and played extensively.

Secondly, not knowing what equipment was used, what the acoustics of the recording venue might have been, it's extremely difficult to judge a piano by listening to Youtube videos. Even if a video gives you some indication of the actual sound of the piano, live, a video will not give you any sense of the feel of the action, so important to any pianist. So, eventually, you are going to have to narrow down your search to something that "seems promising" and then go and actually try it.

Thirdly, a 1916 Steinway B, a 1894 Steinway C and a Steinway A III that needs rebuilding may all be possibly - or potentially - good pianos or they may be money pits. Without knowing their actual condition, one cannot give any but the most vague opinions let alone recommendations. These pianos and the other pianos you mentioned would have to be examined by a technician to determine their actual condition before writing a cheque (or check, if you prefer). I wouldn't think it necessary, on the other hand, to have a technician examine a piano sold new, from a reputable dealer.

I think that you have much to consider and some actual playing to do because, in the long run (at the end of the day - or whatever other cliché I might use), only you are going to know what you like and, after inspection, what you are happy to live with.

Best of luck in your search. After having read Grand Obsession, you know that the search may take some time. Best of luck in your search and enjoy it while you are at it; there are some fine instruments to experience while searching.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
N Artur #2949443 02/20/20 10:05 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for you thoughts. I have researched the piano shops/rebuilders with very good reputations and at least narrowed down possibilities with them. I agree I need to start playing extensively. I have an opportunity at one place to play new Estonia, slightly older Shigeru and the well rebuilt Steinway C. My biggest obstacle is trusting my inclination when I have played very little but want to commit time to play a lot over the next 25 years. I want to love the instrument not second guess my decision. Hard to decide what tone quality and action I am looking for with little recent playing.
I think the C is nice. Anyone with thoughts on Grotrian vs Shigeru vs Estonia?
N Artur

N Artur #2949446 02/20/20 10:11 AM
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
Have a friend who plays at a high level? Teacher? Bring someone along, or even hire a tech for a day. I can understand your reservation and don't think it is misplaced.

BruceD #2949453 02/20/20 10:38 AM
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by N Artur

N Arthur:

Welcome to Piano World.

I am not sure what opinions you would like, based on your post, but in theory, at least, you are looking at some good names.

The first rule of thumb that I am sure you must have learned is that you should never buy - or consider buying - a piano that you haven't played, and played extensively.

Secondly, not knowing what equipment was used, what the acoustics of the recording venue might have been, it's extremely difficult to judge a piano by listening to Youtube videos. Even if a video gives you some indication of the actual sound of the piano, live, a video will not give you any sense of the feel of the action, so important to any pianist. So, eventually, you are going to have to narrow down your search to something that "seems promising" and then go and actually try it.

Thirdly, a 1916 Steinway B, a 1894 Steinway C and a Steinway A III that needs rebuilding may all be possibly - or potentially - good pianos or they may be money pits. Without knowing their actual condition, one cannot give any but the most vague opinions let alone recommendations. These pianos and the other pianos you mentioned would have to be examined by a technician to determine their actual condition before writing a cheque (or check, if you prefer). I wouldn't think it necessary, on the other hand, to have a technician examine a piano sold new, from a reputable dealer.

I think that you have much to consider and some actual playing to do because, in the long run (at the end of the day - or whatever other cliché I might use), only you are going to know what you like and, after inspection, what you are happy to live with.

Best of luck in your search. After having read Grand Obsession, you know that the search may take some time. Best of luck in your search and enjoy it while you are at it; there are some fine instruments to experience while searching.

Regards,

+1 thumb

You’re going to have to figure out which piano sounds best to you and which action is most comfortable. Bring your current repertoire with you and maybe bring a friend who can put the pianos through their paces, or have the sales person play different pieces so you can fully hear how it sounds. It’s good to have the salesperson play for you so that you can fully listen and not be distracted by focusing on your own playing. You mentioned quite a few pianos that could be really nice. Definitely try out the Estonia 190. I bought my Estonia because it “punches way above its weight class”. If you’re not a boxing fan that means IMHO it sounds and plays much better than other pianos in it’s price range. Again that’s my personal opinion. You may fall in love with something completely different. Take your time. Best Wishes.

Last edited by j&j; 02/20/20 10:41 AM.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
N Artur #2949460 02/20/20 11:14 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
A Grotrian, a Shigeru Kawai, and an Estonia are going to sound and feel quite a bit different from each other. After playing them in person, your preferences should become rather clear. Hopefully you’ll like the touch and tone of one the most. At some point in time I’ve considered buying a Grotrian 192 or 208, a Shigeru SK-3 or SK-6, and an Estonia 190 or 210. I respect them all.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
N Artur #2949462 02/20/20 11:23 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
BTW I don't know where in Illinois you are, but if you can drive to Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, you should be able to visit some dealers and try out the models they have. I have come to believe that driving is an essential part of piano shopping, unfortunately! :P

Even if you end up buying elsewhere, or end up not buying any of the brands that those dealers might have available, the experience of playing a large number of brands, models and sizes makes such a huge difference when you get ready to actually decide on something.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ShiroKuro #2949501 02/20/20 01:30 PM
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
BTW I don't know where in Illinois you are, but if you can drive to Chicago, Indianapolis, St. Louis, you should be able to visit some dealers and try out the models they have. I have come to believe that driving is an essential part of piano shopping, unfortunately! :P

Even if you end up buying elsewhere, or end up not buying any of the brands that those dealers might have available, the experience of playing a large number of brands, models and sizes makes such a huge difference when you get ready to actually decide on something.

+1 thumb Exactly right. One of the interesting thing about trying different pianos side by side is you can go back and forth vs driving between dealerships. Plus dealer prep can make a huge difference in the playing experience of the new pianos on the showroom floor. We can only hope dealer prep is consistent for pianos in a certain price category.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
N Artur #2949508 02/20/20 01:53 PM
H
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
H
You mention a new Grotrian as an option in your first post.

Pianobuyer SMP for a 7' 4" Grotrian is $ 118,354.

I will assume your budget is around $ 100k.

Please try as many pianos as possible yourself before making your decision.

Buying a piano is a long term process. It can take months.

N Artur #2949525 02/20/20 03:08 PM
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
If you're in Illinois, a good place to check out would be Cordogan's in the western Chicago suburbs. They have a good selection, they rebuild pianos so often have really interesting things. I bought my piano there and have been very happy with their service.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
N Artur #2949748 02/21/20 09:04 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Looking for used Grotrian would be my price point not the 100k. Hard to find direct comparisons with European pianos side by side. I get some sense of European sound with good speakers but nothing like live sound and action. Any thoughts on 100 yo rebuilt grand and the future life of that piano? Will it last 50 years, can it be rebuilt by my grandchildren? Just battling decision new or barely used vs vintage still. Would love to play Grotrian vs Shigeru vs Steinway side by side but the only option appears to be in Portland.

Interesting conversation on the SK3 in CA for the gentleman looking for grand for the NY townhouse. I was hoping for closer to 7 ft but does seem to be a good deal.
Would love to hear more thoughts on Grotrian.

N Artur #2950790 02/24/20 01:42 AM
N
N Artur Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Any thoughts on C Bechstein grand from the 1980s, early 2000s and even the 1920s?

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission