2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,184 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Luke88 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello everyone,

I'm learning piano by myself with Alfred's Adult Piano method. The end of book 1 teaches how to play "the entertainter".
I don't know if it makes sense but I'm asking you this: which are some pop or rock songs that can be played by a person who knows how to play songs with the level of difficulty of "the entertainer"?
Is this level of difficulty enough?

Thanks guys,
L wink

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If this is the piece you're talking about:

http://ks4.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/8/89/IMSLP130674-WIMA.e04e-Joplin_The_Entertainer.pdf

I'd say 'yes'. Definitely.

But I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is a very simplified version.

If music be the food of love, play on!
L
Luke88 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Well, the second one..a simplified version

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Alfred's has a Greatest Hits series to accompany that AIO set for adults. Those would be comparable in difficulty to the Entertainer in Alfreds. The better sounding arrangements of those pop/rock pieces elsewhere (like MusicNotes maybe) will be harder.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

B
B
I've been playing piano just over 3 years, focused on pop, rock and American songbook. Just started the 'advanced'
Entertainer version.

It is challenging with the stride jumps, as I haven't done any songs with that type of left hand. I've done plenty of other left hand stuff,
boogie, blues, walking, arpeggios etc. So, will take some time for sure.

I'll mention the site I started with, www.playitpiano.com, it worked for me. (no affiliation) May help you with your pop/rock

Best of luck!

P
P
Originally Posted by bennevis

But I'm pretty sure what you're talking about is a very simplified version.

If its the one I think it is, yes, its a VERY simplified version.

I do however find the pop/rock selections on MusicNotes vary a lot within the "Easy Piano" category.... Some on par with the simplified version of the Entertainer, and some more challenging. The OP is probably best off sampling a variety and learning them as he can.

C
C
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Alfred's has a Greatest Hits series to accompany that AIO set for adults. Those would be comparable in difficulty to the Entertainer in Alfreds. The better sounding arrangements of those pop/rock pieces elsewhere (like MusicNotes maybe) will be harder.

This is very good advice! Supplemental books from the same method book publisher you are currently using should be at your current sill level.

Last edited by Chili_Time; 02/20/20 11:52 AM.

First Lesson Oct. 17, 2017. Now working on Faber Piano Adventures 3B Lesson, T&A, Performance, Theory and Faber FunTime Ragtime & Marches. Kawai MP11SE. My Sound Cloud Piano recordings
[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The easiest books of pop/rock songs that I know of are these. I have listed them in the order of how difficult I think they are, though they are all quite easy to play:

1. Dan Coates - 100 Pop Hits of the 90's
2. Dan Coates - Classic Rock Sheet Music Hits
3. First 50 Pop Ballads You Should Play on the Piano
4. First 50 Popular Songs You Should Play on the Piano
5. Hans-Gunter Heumann - Hits for Kids

Just a bit higher level than these are a series of books by Hans-Gunter Heumann called 50's Hits, 60's Hits, 70's Hits and 80's Hits but you'll want to look at those after you have been playing a little longer than what's on the list here.

I'm no expert; this is just my opinion on how difficult these books are to play based on how easy it is for me to just sight-read through pretty much anything in it. And I'm no kind of an expert piano player, either. smile

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
B
B
I learned the original version of The Entertainer three years ago (as said above so : http://ks4.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/8/89/IMSLP130674-WIMA.e04e-Joplin_The_Entertainer.pdf)

It is difficult. The left hand movements (stride) isn't the main problem. There are some little sections (one or two bars) really very difficult.
Mapple Leaf Rag is way easier despite the number of flats.

But it is fun to play, and you learn a lot.

Speaking of pop songs, there is no level, strickly speaking, because you will only find transcriptions scores. Pop songs are not written for the piano. Even if it's a pianist singing alone. The best scores you will find generally is three staffs that must be reduce to one. And the pianist, while performing on stage, plays what he wants (no score).

In order to have good scores and level indication, I suggest this site : https://www.noviscore.fr/ (I don't have any price and pay as anybody...)
There are 4 levels : 1 to 3 and expert.
You can listen the scores.

I always choose the expert level (or 3 if there is not). Because for the same price you have more music work for your money.

For example, look at the expert version of "My baby just cares for me" :
https://www.noviscore.fr/partition-piano-my-baby-just-cares-for-me
(a pleasure to play)

This is not singer and piano, it is a transcription for piano solo. Very difficult to find and very difficult to find well written.

I worked also on https://www.noviscore.fr/partition-piano-georgia-on-my-mind-ray-charles (expert level)
it is delightful. The transcription is fabulous (for my ears)

Just for fun I work also on https://www.noviscore.fr/partition-piano-when-the-saints-go-marching-in-gospel-traditionnel
You must listen to it ; choose expert level (wait untils it begins really...).

My pianos : Kawai ES8, Yamaha N1X
Headphone : Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 Ω
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Of course, if it's too easy, one can play it upside down:

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
I played that version of the Entertainer last year. I think the Alfred level one supplemental books are good, they have a greatest hits book, a sacred church type music book, and a Christmas book. Also piano adventures has supplemental books that go along with their method books. You might be a level one or level two in those books. They move a little bit slower than Alfred. I also like the Simple Songs, the orange book is easier in my opinion than the blue book. I have both. I could play the orange in my first year, I can play the blue now in my second year of playing. A lot of the music that is described as "Easy Piano" isn't always that easy. I'm in the second Alfred book now and the Easy Piano is getting easier, but I still wouldn't consider it easy. The method book supplements are much easier.

Last edited by Amykpiano; 03/16/20 11:20 PM.

Amy
Beginner
Kawai CA 79

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission