2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
84 members (brendon, 8ude, Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, bobrunyan, 23 invisible), 605 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Chopin to help you sleep
#2949168 02/19/20 03:48 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
B
I'm watching Trust Me, I'm a Doctor on BBC TV at the moment (if you're in the UK, switch on your TV now wink ), and there was Chopin playing to an insomniac.......

Apparently, 'music without lyrics' (the Beeb's euphemism for classical music?) can get you into a nice restful slumber, complete with REM.

What was the piece? Chopin's Ballade No.2.....but make sure it stops before the explosion grin.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Chopin to help you sleep
bennevis #2949302 02/19/20 09:03 PM
J
J
I've never been able to fall asleep to music, of any kind. My mind gets too engaged. Only white noise for me!

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
bennevis #2949303 02/19/20 09:07 PM
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
I tried playing this to a piano pupil of mine, who claimed that the intro reminded her of "listen with mother" the old TV series (not heard it). I understand that listen with mother is Faure, so I guess she wasn't a million miles away.

Anyway, great Ballade, a very stark contrast between peaceful and violent. The end is pretty manic, if I remember right.

bennevis #2949307 02/19/20 09:39 PM
B
OP Offline
B
The program compared "music with lyrics" v "music without lyrics" v total silence.

On average, those who had the non-lyric(al) music wink (it wasn't clear whether the first part of that Ballade was on a continuous loop, or whether other soft lyrical non-lyric music followed it) fell asleep within 10.62 minutes; music with lyrics took 21.78 minutes, and no music took 14.73 minutes.

But - once they fell asleep, silence was best. Sleep time was 90 minutes with no music, 82 minutes with non-lyric music, and 63 minutes with music with lyrics. And the quality of sleep also tallied: no music gave the most deep and REM sleep, second was music without lyrics, and last (worst) was music with lyrics.

So, you should set Chopin (the lyrical Freddy, not the bombastic) on a continuous loop lasting for ten minutes followed by automatic switch-off for the best sleep of your life thumb wow.

No pop songs, not even Nacht und Träume (sorry, Franz) if you value your slumber tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TnK7tPTwHE

Gute nacht.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJETtWr47PY

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
bennevis #2949314 02/19/20 10:46 PM
I used to use a specific recording of Chopin Ballade no.1 to re-fall asleep in the morning on weekends, along with some other pieces (Chopin etudes) on a Cortot CD. It's really easy to fall asleep to for some reason, or perhaps it became like that because I conditioned myself to falling asleep to it.

When I want to have a lie in on the weekend, my parents wake me up, or there is usually a lot of noise in the house (including a sometimes barking dog). So for years, I'd often play the same CD of Alfred Cortot on repeat on top volume in the morning, and re-fall asleep for an extra hour or two in a noisy house.

By using the same CD every weekend, your brain somehow associates the music with sleep. It's like your unconscious becomes conditioned to fall sleep to the same music.

I'm not sure if another CD would have worked. Alfred Cortot CDs are really a good recommendation though if you need something to fall asleep to. Also when it's such an old recording, it has a hissing sound which acts like white noise. The sound of the piano is also more distant on such an old recording, and that makes it more calming and less disturbing, as if you're hearing the piano played from under water.

Last edited by 3am_stargazing; 02/19/20 10:54 PM.

M-Audio Keystation 49 | Casio PX-S1000
Zaphod #2949425 02/20/20 07:46 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Zaphod
I tried playing this to a piano pupil of mine, who claimed that the intro reminded her of "listen with mother" the old TV series (not heard it). I understand that listen with mother is Faure, so I guess she wasn't a million miles away.

I believe that the theme music of "Listen with Mother" on BBC Radio 4 (which I was too old to hear wink ) is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1jUmqel1Is

Max Richter was on to something when he wrote "Sleep" - specifically to help people, er, sleep. This is just a short snippet of its eight-hour length:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbq1GSFyUGI

I did fall asleep to it during the BBC Radio 3 live broadcast through the night a few years ago, but recall some weird dreams & sensations when I was partially awake, and the music filtered through a haze in my brain......

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission