2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
33 registered members (Burkie, AndyFielding, earlofmar, DannyS, AZNpiano, Abdol, carlspost, ElaineAllegro, 6 invisible), 504 guests, and 298 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining #2948673 02/18/20 06:33 PM
Mark_C Online Content OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
On the New York Times online page that popped up for me, there was an ad in the middle of the page which (as it turned out) said:
High End Motorhomes

I thought it was Metronomes. ha

Sometimes we see what we're interested in, rather than what's really there.

I've had the impression that these ads that appear on such pages usually are related to whatever we've been doing lately online. It sure seems that way. I have no idea why any bot would think I'm interested in motorhomes, but in fact I've been looking up metronomes a lot lately.

I wonder if some bot misread what I've been looking at. Maybe bots don't always see too good either. ha

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948678 02/18/20 06:47 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
laugh laugh laugh

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948683 02/18/20 07:07 PM
J
JB_PW Offline
J
I wonder what features a High End Metronome would include. A built-in page turner? Automatic increase function? Or maybe it listens to you play and tells you when you aren't following along properly...with different modes like angry or encouraging. smile

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: JB_PW] #2948689 02/18/20 07:19 PM
Mark_C Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by JB_PW
I wonder what a High End Metronome would include. A built-in page turner? Automatic increase function? Or maybe it listens to you play and tells you when you aren't following along properly...with different modes like angry or encouraging. smile

There really are some.
In fact, even the pretty cheap ones that are out there now have some "higher-end" features than I'd ever think of.

My long-time beloved pretty simple metronome -- battery operated, easy to use, nice old-fashioned ticking sound, adjustable volume -- has been acting up. One of the wires to the battery attachment came loose. I posted a while ago about having sort of fixed it. Someone said it probably wouldn't last long, and it didn't. I've been able to 'sorta sorta' fix it again, but it needs professional help. grin
So, I went looking for another good pretty simple metronome, and it's hard. You can still get those real old-fashioned ones -- y'know, like the wooden pyramid-shaped "tick-tock" ones, but there seems to be nothing like the one I've got.

I actually did go out and buy one, two nights ago -- not as good for me as my old one, but it's OK -- and it's more "high end." ha
Even though it wasn't real expensive, it has some other 'stuff' in it that's really just a nuisance. I don't even know what those things are. All they do for me is that if I accidentally press a wrong button, either the thing goes into some different mode or at least it undoes what I had going.
Plus, even when it's not undoing anything, you don't have the clear visual indicator of what tempo the thing is set for, like you have with mechanical controls -- because it doesn't have any dial that you turn, just tiny buttons to press (not that easy to press), and because of the other "stuff" on it.

Pardon the rant. ha

And this one was only about $29.95. I see online that "high end" metronomes go as high as $300 or more.

I guess they must also double as motorhomes.

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948692 02/18/20 07:27 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
On the New York Times online page that popped up for me, there was an ad in the middle of the page which (as it turned out) said:
High End Motorhomes

I thought it was Metronomes. ha

Sometimes we see what we're interested in, rather than what's really there.

I've had the impression that these ads that appear on such pages usually are related to whatever we've been doing lately online. It sure seems that way. I have no idea why any bot would think I'm interested in motorhomes, but in fact I've been looking up metronomes a lot lately.

I wonder if some bot misread what I've been looking at. Maybe bots don't always see too good either. ha

Probably the bot had a spellchecker....

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Stubbie] #2948697 02/18/20 07:38 PM
Mark_C Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Probably the bot had a spellchecker....

......or, in this case, an un-spell checker. ha

(You could be right! Come to think of it, I'd guess you probably are.)

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Stubbie] #2948698 02/18/20 07:43 PM
Mark_C Online Content OP
OP Online Content
.......Y'know, the possibilities for that kind of thing could be even more interesting.

Like, how about if we look up "recital" a lot.....

Years ago, a bunch of us made posters for a friend who was doing a recital. The name of the place was "Fine Arts Recital Hall." On my poster, I purposely left out the i in Recital.
Nobody noticed.
When I pointed it out afterwards, they did think it was funny, although not real mature. ha

It's a relief that those bots don't seem to do that 'spellcheck' when we search "recital" and start giving us stuff on that other thing.

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948700 02/18/20 07:47 PM
J
JB_PW Offline
J
OK, I just had to look up expensive metronomes. I HAD NO IDEA. Built-in tuner makes sense. One has a recorder, one a temp/hygrometer, then there's an onboard "rhythm coach"...wow.

For about 20 years I used one of those Seikos with the rotary dial...ran on a 9V battery. It finally gave up the ghost last year and I'm using an app on my phone for clarinet. For piano I'm using the Wittner Piccolo. It does the job.

I ❤️ Mendelssohn, Yann Tiersen, Heller
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948717 02/18/20 08:44 PM
ShiroKuro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This thread got me curious and checked on Amazon, it looks like the very simple electronic metronome I had (still have, I think) is no longer available. Huh. A lot of bells and whistles isn't necessarily a good thing! I stopped carrying that one around once I got a metronome app on my phone. The phone app seems fine for my purposes.

Except even these apps can be a little quirky sometimes. I know there are some apps that you can set it so that instead of a nice normal click, it's a man's voice counting. The first time I heard it, I thought it was a ghost or something! I cannot play with that guy counting in my ear! :P

As long as we're talking about funny, metronome-related stories... When I was in grad school, I used to carry around that electronic metronome in my backpack (b/c I sometimes used the piano practice rooms on campus, even though I wasn't in music school).

Anyway, one time I was on an elevator in one of the campus buildings that was quite tall (close to 20 floors), there were a few other people on the elevator. Suddenly a beeping noise started, we all freaked out! "OMG what is that??" One guys says "I think it's you!" I say, "no it's not!" he says "yes it is!" and we go back and forth till we get to his floor and he gets out. The other people are looking at me like I'm carrying a bomb, so they get off too. The doors close, the beeping continues. I am starting to freak out for real now, that I'm all alone on this elevator and it's beeping and I'm probably going to get stuck and die. Either that or it's a bomb and it'll blow up and I'll die. But either way, it's not good.

So my floor comes, I quickly get out. The beeping follows me. OMG!!!

Turns out, when I leaned back in the elevator, my backpack must have touched the wall and set the metronome off. But I had forgotten it was even there, and because it was sort of muffled in my backpack, I didn't recognize the beeping as the metronome sound.

After that, I was more carefully about where I put that metronome in my backpack.

whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: JB_PW] #2948722 02/18/20 08:58 PM
Z
Zaphod Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by JB_PW
I wonder what features a High End Metronome would include.

Inbuilt rubato laugh

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: ShiroKuro] #2948785 02/19/20 01:00 AM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
This thread got me curious and checked on Amazon, it looks like the very simple electronic metronome I had (still have, I think) is no longer available. [...]

This basic Seiko is the one I have and it appears to still be available on Amazon. Check the link for details:

Seiko metronome

Here's an image :

[Linked Image]
Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 02/19/20 01:07 AM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: BruceD] #2948795 02/19/20 01:33 AM
Mark_C Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by BruceD
This basic Seiko is the one I have and it appears to still be available on Amazon. Check the link for details:

Seiko metronome

Here's an image :

[Linked Image]

That looks like the 'spare' one that I have! (elsewhere from where I am now)
If it's not the same, it's very similar.

I like it pretty much, but with reservation, especially that I don't love the nature of the "clicks."
My dear broken one sounds more like the ticking of those old-fashioned pendulum ones.

This Seiko does have much of the rest of what I described that I look for in a metronome. It's just not as good in various ways (for me) as that other one, although it has the advantage of being much more compact. For that reason, the Seiko is the one that I used to take with me when I traveled -- but I liked the other so much better that I started taking that one, despite the bigger size.

I may prefer it to this new one that I got, which BTW is this:

[Linked Image]

I'm eager to get hold of my Seiko (I think it's a Seiko) to compare them.

Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: Mark_C] #2948860 02/19/20 05:38 AM
L
LarryK Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I like my Doctor Beat DB-90 and bolted one to my music stand for practicing the classical guitar. It is on a power adapter, no more messing with batteries. Maybe I should get another one for the piano because I’ll probably be too lazy to keep moving it back and forth between the piano and my guitar practice area, which are in two different rooms. I like the physical controls on this metronome, especially the sliders for the subdivisions. It is huge, though, and may look ugly on top of the piano. Here it is:

[Linked Image]

At the moment, I use the Pro Metronome app on my iPhone on the piano. I can rest it on the music desk and see a visual signal as well as hear a click, if I put the phone on landscape mode.

Last edited by LarryK; 02/19/20 05:45 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: Semi-OT: How not seeing too good can be entertaining [Re: BruceD] #2948862 02/19/20 05:58 AM
johnstaf Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Online Crying
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

[Linked Image]

I have this as well. The two most important things for me are the volume control and the tempo dial. I hate using arrows to set the tempo.

If I want frills, I could use my phone I suppose, but I like the simplicity of this.

Last edited by johnstaf; 02/19/20 06:00 AM.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recent Recordings - Music Conservatories
by Rhapsodyinblue - 04/01/20 12:04 AM
Best teachers in the U.S., redo
by Radio1ogy - 03/31/20 11:52 PM
Advice re pin block on 1928 upright
by Bren - 03/31/20 08:14 PM
Please don't ever watch this movie
by ebonykawai - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
rubato
by kyekye90 - 03/31/20 07:26 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,830
Posts2,940,757
Members96,432
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission