2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

My first post.

I have been searching for a weighted action triple sensor controller for some time and held off to see what presented itself at Namm. I was hoping for a VPC2 but that did not happen:)

This would be used strictly for VST via Midi to Laptop such as Garritan CFX or VSL etc.

Appreciate the knowledge here on this forum and probably know that I do not have too many options but here it goes.

I feel comfortable with Grand Piano feel however I would like to take advantage of VST Velocity Curves to its fullest.

This drew me to the VPC1 for this purpose with editable curves per note etc. However I did play a VPC1 and did not like it as much as MP11SE’s action.

Getting the best expression is important to me in these VST Instruments with full velocity from 0-127. I understand that the VPC1 has preconfigured 0-127 velocity and then the VST has its own curves. The VPC1 appeals as you can really tweak the velocity curve even via editor.

If I were to look at MP11SE for better keybed feel, can I get close to velocity curve or velocity settings to take advantage of VST or am I giving up that function on MP11SE VS VPC1?

I wish there was more options like a VPC2 after so many years. I am also now looking at Yamaha P515 now. If a VPC2 came out with better action that would have met my criteria.

Any experience/ feedback with controllers or MP11 SE/ Yamaha P515 stage piano for VST & Velocity Curve would be appreciated as triggering the sample accurately, being able to set curve and play expressively as VST intended is most important factor in making this purchase.

Thank you!

STMICHAELS

Some VST instruments (like Pianoteq) have extensive velocity curve editing capabilities built in. However, even if they don't, you can use a VST plugin like MIDI Shape Shifter to modify the velocity from your keyboard however you want and then route the modified velocity into your VST instrument. This requires a VST host application (as opposed to running the instrument in standalone mode) and some familiarity with said application, but it's possible to apply any curve you want to any VST instrument with this approach.

Others may know of other/easier ways to do this...I mostly use Pianoteq, whose velocity curve editing capabilities are good enough for me.

Novus NV10
M
M
So for example Cantabile (which I use)

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/guides/midiFilters

Open Cantable, insert an instance of any VST, and add a midi filter to alter the velocity to taste...

U1. RD-2000. Komplete Kontrol 61 1st gen. Pianoteq, Ravenscroft, etc. Two kids on Alfred.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you both,

I was not aware that there were midi software programs such as these to be able to adjust velocities. Still wish there were more controllers with good action and velocity editors. Don't want to spend so much on MP11SE for example just to use as a controller.

Thanks!

Last edited by STMICHAELS; 02/16/20 03:03 PM.
A
A
First comes the MP12, then with luck one year later a VPC2. I like my VPC1 more than the MP11 action. So I can wait.... Also not always the newest upgrade is always the best. Thats why I don´t like the argument: Its time for an upgrade ...this old keybed bla bla bla ... Do you all know how a MP12 or VPC2 will look like. Maybe its not build as solid and you have other problems... who knows. We can always wait for maybe better things in the future. But the time is NOW ;))

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by aphexdisklavier
First comes the MP12, then with luck one year later a VPC2. I like my VPC1 more than the MP11 action. So I can wait.... Also not always the newest upgrade is always the best. Thats why I don´t like the argument: Its time for an upgrade ...this old keybed bla bla bla ... Do you all know how a MP12 or VPC2 will look like. Maybe its not build as solid and you have other problems... who knows. We can always wait for maybe better things in the future. But the time is NOW ;))

Appreciate your response and you are right I need to get something soon to play.Thanks for sharing your point of view.

I am not so much in the bandcamp for just upgrading. As I don't own a keyboard today or controller, I am trying to purchase a once in a long time purchase that will last me and want to make sure I get the right product for my needs which is difficult to obtain as VPC-1 comes closest.

Youre correct a VPC-2 could have other issues however I have to believe with a product such as VPC-1 that's been out for awhile and knowing the issues on VPC-1 that a new controller will take that info and fix it (pedal etc.)

But you are so right we can wait and procrastinate or get something NOW. Good food for thought.

Last edited by STMICHAELS; 02/16/20 04:29 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission