2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
73 members (akressevich, Almaviva, blazekenny, AaronSF, AZNpiano, 8opus, Abdol, 15 invisible), 540 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 72 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 71 72
Re: Other people do Piano Marvel?
Tyrone Slothrop #2944346 02/08/20 03:31 PM
T
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by treefrog
I’d be interested to know if other people completed the ear training exercises on hearing alone.

Is it cheating to use the practice option?

I did levels 1-3 of the ear training exercises on hearing alone since that's what the instructions told me to do. My daughter recently started PM and did level 1 of the ear training on hearing alone.

I did level 1 on hearing alone but I’m struggling a bit on level 2.

But if that’s what you’re supposed to do then that’s what I'll do. smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
treefrog #2944390 02/08/20 05:12 PM
Sarah65 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
[quote=treefrog]I’d be interested to know if other people completed the ear training exercises on hearing alone.
Is it cheating to use the practice option?

I did level 1 on hearing alone but I’m struggling a bit on level 2.
But if that’s what you’re supposed to do then that’s what I'll do. smile

For eartraining the method is actually wrong, just like for sight reading it must be correct from the first time. But everyone wants to get 100% so you keep trying and eventually you play on memory and not with your ears anymore. Kind of crazy actually ...

Piano Marvel level 4B and everything I like smile
Sarah65 #2944506 02/08/20 10:36 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I did the ear training without “cheating” and found it really valuable. I’m much more able to hear intervals now, and the handy little pieces they teach as a mnemonic (and you play over and over and over and...) are now fully stuck in my head and help when I the interval escapes me. The chord ear training was the toughest challenge, but I definitely have a better ear for different forms of a chord now. My only complaint was I wish they had more representation than just basic inversions, I still struggle with cords that aren’t very simple.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Sarah65 #2944508 02/08/20 10:40 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve also realized something. I’ve found that PM has really helped with my sight reading, my
technique and ability to learn pieces rapidly. However, I’ve found it to be a hinderance to memorization. The pieces I’ve leaned for my live lessons from traditional paper scores “stick” but pieces I’ve learned from PM are basically out the door once I’ve mastered them in the software. I don’t know why this is, but it’s been consistent. Perhaps the “learning quickly” conflicts with the “memorizing”?

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth) and C minor Prelude (big chords), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO
Chrispy #2944559 02/09/20 06:12 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I’ve also realized something. I’ve found that PM has really helped with my sight reading, my
technique and ability to learn pieces rapidly. However, I’ve found it to be a hinderance to memorization. The pieces I’ve leaned for my live lessons from traditional paper scores “stick” but pieces I’ve learned from PM are basically out the door once I’ve mastered them in the software. I don’t know why this is, but it’s been consistent. Perhaps the “learning quickly” conflicts with the “memorizing”?

I think you are right, if you learn from paper you need much more time and repetitions to play everything "perfectly". In PM if you reach 100% you are on your way to the next ...

Sarah65 #2944572 02/09/20 07:12 AM
H
H
well I was doing so well on Arabia that I thought I would breeze through the rest of the book, and I couldn't have been more wrong. I aimed to finish level 3B by the end of last week and failed. I did finally perform what I would consider acceptable on the preparatory exercise and hit the wall with the 30 added bpm of the "up to speed" version. Will definitely get it done this week no matter what. I just need to put more time in.

6 years learning the ukulele and started playing toy piano in late July 2019
Sarah65 #2944594 02/09/20 09:02 AM
I'm very weak on the ear training exercises. I've never made it through one without feeling that all I had done was memorize the notes in the slowest, most excruciating way possible. My hope is that I'm wrong and something is at least partially making its way into my brain.

I would like to be able to do the old hear/play routine so I do the exercises despite my doubts. I sure don't have an idea about a better way to teach it.

Last night I watched a TV show that had Paul Shaffer and Donald Fagan sitting at 2 pianos, sort of an interview that included piano playing. If it truly wasn't rehearsed, then it was absolutely amazing to me how one could start playing a tune with a lot of complicated jazz chords and the other could join right in with something that sounded great. I seriously doubt that I will ever get to that level.

Last edited by TomInCinci; 02/09/20 09:10 AM.
Sarah65 #2944970 02/10/20 12:00 AM
H
H
don't feel bad about not being a superhuman like Paul Shaffer. I have to cheat somewhat on the hearing exercises and I hope to eventually be able to do the relative pitch skill.

HarmonySmurf #2945941 02/12/20 12:11 PM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf
don't feel bad about not being a superhuman like Paul Shaffer. I have to cheat somewhat on the hearing exercises and I hope to eventually be able to do the relative pitch skill.

Toy piano here please smile HarmonySmurf Thank you

Sarah65 #2946184 02/13/20 01:05 AM
D
D
Well, to keep with the traditions of this thread, here to report I finally got 100% on Arabia. I just went through the 'minced' version over a few days until I'd done all the parts enough times to put them together, it just took longer than the ones that had come before to get them all It was interesting that the fastest tempo in 'minced' was 90bpm, but the main 'arabia slow' is only at 70bpm, so it was actually easier than what I'd been doing -- and once I completed the 'slow' version, I'd already done all the work for the 'fast' one so just went straight to that one. That said, there's definitely a weird transition where 50 -> 70bpm is fine, just a bit faster, but 70 -> 90bpm seems to trip my fingers up in unexpected and different ways.

Also, (and don't read on if you want to save yourself from knowing something you might find you want to un-know) did anyone else find themselves super distracted by toes in the videos? For most of the videos you can just see hands and the score -- but in the videos for 'smitty schmoe' and 'into the woods' in 3B, whoever it is that's doing the demonstrations has sat slightly differently, or the lighting is different or something, and all of a sudden there's these bare feet showing at the bottom of the screen and now I can't unsee them and i can't stop myself looking for toes in all the other videos..

Daniel Mitchell #2946193 02/13/20 01:34 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Daniel Mitchell
Well, to keep with the traditions of this thread, here to report I finally got 100% on Arabia.

Congrats! thumb It's a real rite of passage smile

That said, there's definitely a weird transition where 50 -> 70bpm is fine, just a bit faster, but 70 -> 90bpm seems to trip my fingers up in unexpected and different ways.

You can also manually slow down the tempo to play at 75, 80, and 85 before you try 90. That's what I used to do.

whoever it is that's doing the demonstrations has sat slightly differently,

I believe that's the owner Aaron Garner's feet that feather in the demonstration videos.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 #2946208 02/13/20 02:51 AM
A
A
I use the iPad App and I feel one change that could make the app better is to put dynamic marks on the music?

Is there any plans to do this?.

If I use a laptop does this show the dynamic marks?

Auburn1 #2946229 02/13/20 05:25 AM
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by Auburn1
I use the iPad App and I feel one change that could make the app better is to put dynamic marks on the music?

Josh said that they are working hard to implement dynamics. Just be patient wink

Auburn1 #2946307 02/13/20 10:29 AM
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Auburn1

Welcome to PW, Auburn1!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 #2946658 02/14/20 06:23 AM
J
J
Patience is the key... soon or later we will reach that 100% we are aiming for. With ear development is based on my experience funny thing. It develops that is certain, not always as we plan it or someone plan it for us. Play, practice and you will notice differences over time. You most likely will surprise yourself how much you know, how much you are able to do, and how much you progressed. It happens all the way PM program. Some skills come faster, some slower but it happens. So, to me, to you, to all of us. Let's be patient and keep going.
Being on holiday for next week, there is no much piano time for me. I take that brake willingly to just recharge all the batteries I have... those related to piano practice as well. I wish you all today all the best and share another practice video I just put together. It is not perfect yet (me playing this piece) but slowly moving forward. KEEP PLAYING! IT IS FUN! This piece is from level 5D smile Enjoy.

pianopracticechallenge.com
Piano Marvel discount code: jw (practice every day - result will come fast smile )
Sarah65 #2946936 02/14/20 08:37 PM
T
T
How often do people do an SASR test?

I’ve only done two so far which were a week apart and I managed to get a lower score on the second.

I probably won’t do another for a month or two as I don’t believe that my sight reading has improved and I’m concerned that I’ll get the same test as last time and will remember it.

treefrog #2947059 02/15/20 06:37 AM
OP Online Content
How often do people do an SASR test?
I’ve only done two so far which were a week apart and I managed to get a lower score on the second.
I probably won’t do another for a month or two as I don’t believe that my sight reading has improved and I’m concerned that I’ll get the same test as last time and will remember it.

You shouldn't be afraid of an SASR test, just see it as an exercise. I don't know what level you are in method, but from level 3 it is best to start your SASR test in "Intermediate" The score goes up there faster, and you learn sightreading without looking at your fingers.

I do it every day as the end of my practice session, and my score fluctuates between 350 and 500.
I don't care much about the scores, I just enjoy doing it, it's always different and sometimes there are pleasant surprises, songs that you will look up later in the library to learn. Whatever you do, as long as you are at the piano you are learning. wink

Sarah65 #2947123 02/15/20 08:30 AM
H
H
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Originally Posted by HarmonySmurf

Toy piano here please smile HarmonySmurf Thank you

What do you mean? Do you want me to share my Arabia video that I did on my toy piano?
kelly

Last edited by HarmonySmurf; 02/15/20 08:32 AM.

HarmonySmurf #2947226 02/15/20 01:37 PM
OP Online Content
[quote=HarmonySmurf]
What do you mean? Do you want me to share my Arabia video that I did on my toy piano?
kelly

Yes please, thank you. I still think it's beautiful ...

Sarah65 #2947331 02/15/20 05:36 PM
H
H
thanks a bunch!

Page 64 of 72 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 71 72

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Irresistable Piano
by toyboy - 07/10/20 03:00 PM
Are all new USA bound pianos tuned to 440hz concert pitch?
by blueviewlaguna. - 07/10/20 02:34 PM
How long with the same piano teacher?
by PatG - 07/10/20 02:13 PM
Thoughts on Yuja Wang outfits?
by chopinetto - 07/10/20 01:58 PM
Question Yamaha B3 price.
by minjun - 07/10/20 12:28 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,177
Posts2,979,291
Members97,729
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission