2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
27 registered members (FrankCox, dima5222, akc42, Calavera, AZNpiano, cmb13, CharlesXX, Charades, David B, 4 invisible), 339 guests, and 486 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Doug M.] #2947063 02/15/20 06:27 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Steve Rose Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Doug M.
By[quote=AlexBltn]

We shouldn't be so quick to assume Kawai are ready to break out the 12th edition quite yet.
The MP11SE is a good chasis and no stage piano quite competes with it. Therefore, maybe the next release will be the MP11TE with evolutions in Midi and sound, plus the MP11TE Sp version ie that has 2x 30W speakers. This will have cream painted metal finish and a tube amp.

😏😋


😂😂😂😂😂😂😂


Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Doug M.] #2947079 02/15/20 06:41 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 880
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 880
Originally Posted by Doug M.
[...]The MP11SE is a good chasis and no stage piano quite competes with it. Therefore, maybe the next release will be the MP11TE with evolutions in Midi and sound, plus the MP11TE Sp version ie that has 2x 30W speakers. This will have cream painted metal finish and a tube amp.

😏😋
I think the SE in MP11SE was for "Special Edition". So MP11TE, would be for "Terrific Edition"? laugh


Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Sedat Karahan] #2947144 02/15/20 09:02 AM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,056
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,056
what are the MP11SE's weak points? I can accept that it's a bit of a high end niche so it's not going to compete with the RD2000 on number of voices, but for the target audience, what's missing from the package? Is it Pianist Mode? Is that important to live performers? Action? Size/weight reduction? Ease of getting to or seeing functions?

One thing I'd like to see if what Kawai's strategy will be to harmonize the Pianist Mod UI for portable and lower end DPs. I assume the MP/ES series isn't getting the fancy touchscreen (which is easy to use but slow to use live compared to settable tactile knobs and buttons). This may require a bit of a rethinking which may be why we're seeing a longer tock cycle with the SE updates.


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Gombessa] #2947160 02/15/20 10:22 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by Gombessa
what are the MP11SE's weak points? I can accept that it's a bit of a high end niche so it's not going to compete with the RD2000 on number of voices, but for the target audience, what's missing from the package? Is it Pianist Mode? Is that important to live performers? Action? Size/weight reduction? Ease of getting to or seeing functions?

One thing I'd like to see if what Kawai's strategy will be to harmonize the Pianist Mod UI for portable and lower end DPs. I assume the MP/ES series isn't getting the fancy touchscreen (which is easy to use but slow to use live compared to settable tactile knobs and buttons). This may require a bit of a rethinking which may be why we're seeing a longer tock cycle with the SE updates.


Hi Gombessa,

IMO, if the MP7SE is a much more powerful instrument except for the action, so from that POV, the MP11SE downsides are obvious but one could argue the target market doesn't care. However, why not just make the ES series have the MP11 action (which would suffice the plug in and play pianist) , and make the MP11 the top 'stage piano' by specification?

I do think that the MP11 action should be upgraded to eliminate its downsides. Whether it is necessary to transplant the GF3 action and deepen the case, I'm not sure. They could just evolve the GF1 action without deepening the unit. Kawai's sound selection interface is excellent but if I were being critical, both units could use an 8 or 9 volume slider section for the organs and increase the number of parts you can combine to 8. Also, seemless sound switching would be competitive.

Kind regards,

Doug.


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: magicpiano] #2947163 02/15/20 10:24 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Originally Posted by Doug M.
[...]The MP11SE is a good chasis and no stage piano quite competes with it. Therefore, maybe the next release will be the MP11TE with evolutions in Midi and sound, plus the MP11TE Sp version ie that has 2x 30W speakers. This will have cream painted metal finish and a tube amp.

😏😋
I think the SE in MP11SE was for "Special Edition". So MP11TE, would be for "Terrific Edition"? laugh



Quite right 😉


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Gombessa] #2947165 02/15/20 10:31 AM
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 27
A
AlexBltn Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by Gombessa
what are the MP11SE's weak points?

Grand Feel action, which has reliability issues that have been discussed many times in the "Kawai Grand Feel key clinic" topic.

Originally Posted by Gombessa
what's missing from the package? Is it Pianist Mode? Is that important to live performers?

Oh, come on, it's a well-known fact that many users purchase this model for home use. You had (or still have this model). Where did you use it, on stage or at home?

Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Sedat Karahan] #2947184 02/15/20 11:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 880
magicpiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Offline
500 Post Club Member
Joined: Jun 2019
Posts: 880
IMHO Kawai should make an ES8WE (Wooden keys Edition), maybe with a slightly more compact/old wooden action... And with a little enhanchement in the sound engine too it could be much better than a Yamaha P515.

Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: AlexBltn] #2947187 02/15/20 11:13 AM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,056
G
Gombessa Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 4,056
Originally Posted by AlexBltn

Oh, come on, it's a well-known fact that many users purchase this model for home use. You had (or still have this model). Where did you use it, on stage or at home?


I got it for home use exclusively. I'm just not assuming I'm a key use case or target market for it (I'm sure Kawai would prefer that I have gotten a CA-7x or 9x instead for the latest action and sounds).


Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: magicpiano] #2947230 02/15/20 12:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by magicpiano
IMHO Kawai should make an ES8WE (Wooden keys Edition), maybe with a slightly more compact/old wooden action... And with a little enhanchement in the sound engine too it could be much better than a Yamaha P515.


Having played the Yamaha and Kawai instruments recently side-by-side, with and without binaural effect on the Yamaha, I think the quality of the Kawai sample is really good. If Kawai fall down anywhere, it is in lack of binaural sampling, most noticeably through headphones.

The issue Kawai have with their cabinets is that they (and Roland) are somewhat behind Yamaha in amplification clarity---this maybe partly due to the binaural sampling flattering their amplification 🤔. But in general, if you compare the CFX on the CP88 with the SK grand on the Kawai ES8, the Kawai sample sounds IMO better.
Bring on Kawai actual Binaural sampling equivalent (rather than 3d).

Kind regards,

Doug.


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Pologuy] #2947317 02/15/20 04:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 200
D
djvu10 Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
D
Joined: Oct 2019
Posts: 200

"There have been many new great slab piano releases in the last year or two - the Nord, Yamaha CP...
Kawai is getting left in the dust - a place it seems to be happy with lately"

This is obviously an opinion and not a fact since I bought a Kawai MP11se after spending weeks trying out both the Nord and Yamaha. I originally wanted the Nord for its sexy red cabinet and (highly overpriced) matching stand and the Yamaha CLP-695 for its grand piano body. The MP11se is not a perfect instrument in every way but its action, to me, is clearly better than any of the Nord or non-hybrid Yamaha.

Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Doug M.] #2947539 02/16/20 08:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Steve Rose Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Doug M.
Originally Posted by magicpiano
IMHO Kawai should make an ES8WE (Wooden keys Edition), maybe with a slightly more compact/old wooden action... And with a little enhanchement in the sound engine too it could be much better than a Yamaha P515.


Having played the Yamaha and Kawai instruments recently side-by-side, with and without binaural effect on the Yamaha, I think the quality of the Kawai sample is really good. If Kawai fall down anywhere, it is in lack of binaural sampling, most noticeably through headphones.

The issue Kawai have with their cabinets is that they (and Roland) are somewhat behind Yamaha in amplification clarity---this maybe partly due to the binaural sampling flattering their amplification 🤔. But in general, if you compare the CFX on the CP88 with the SK grand on the Kawai ES8, the Kawai sample sounds IMO better.
Bring on Kawai actual Binaural sampling equivalent (rather than 3d).

Kind regards,

Doug.


I’ve not auditioned the CP88 but played the P515 extensively, this was no match in comparison to either of the 2 Kawai MP7se’s I had. I think Kawai have done a brilliant job with both the piano engine and it’s connection to the keybed. It’s a very acceptable compromise between straight multi layered sample playback systems and modelling. I think the keybeds on the MP7SE and MP11SE are both really very good pianistic controllers - The PHA-50 maybe more precise than the RHIII but it’s not as involving. As you say the MP7se is actually a very capable stage master keyboard too.
In comparison to the Roland RD2000 I now have I’d say the Kawai MP7se was much easier to love. And it was great straight out the box. The Roland took a shed-load of programming to get the Vpiano sounds to sing.


Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Pologuy] #2947768 02/16/20 07:41 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Originally Posted by Pologuy
There have been many new great slab piano releases in the last year or two - the Nord, Yamaha CP...

Kawai is getting left in the dust - a place it seems to be happy with lately.


May I ask in what respects you believe the Nord (Grand presumably) and Yamaha CP to be superior to Kawai's current stage piano instruments?

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Kawai James] #2947927 02/17/20 08:03 AM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Doug M. Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,574
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by Pologuy
There have been many new great slab piano releases in the last year or two - the Nord, Yamaha CP...

Kawai is getting left in the dust - a place it seems to be happy with lately.


May I ask in what respects you believe the Nord (Grand presumably) and Yamaha CP to be superior to Kawai's current stage piano instruments?

Kind regards,
James
x


Hi James,

The Nord Grand and Yamaha CP88 are clearly better (to a certain degree) from a narrow perspective of the plug-n-play gigging musician---a person who doesn't want to prepare registrations but just likes to turn up, mess with sliders and twist knobs to get the performance characteristics changed on-the-fly.

With regard to the Nord Grand, it has superior Aesthetics due to whole design including the bespoke stand and monitors. It's slopping instrument panel is also a positive. The build quality of the Kawai is a counter plus; also, the MP7SE/11SE are aesthetically pleasing in their own way---however, a bespoke stand as optional accessory might be commercially viable because many buy the MP11 for home/studio where aesthetics matter.

With regard to the market the MP7SE/MP11SE are aimed at, I think only a few improvements would make a world of difference:

1) Addition of 4 extra sub parts with proper effects options for all 8 parts---not just 4 as on the MP7SE---and 8 sliders (to allow proper drawbar control and mixing)---i.e., to compete with the RD2000. Even better would be powered sliders such as on the Dexibel S9 Pro. See the RD2000 left-hand panel for example of possibilities.

2) The addition of seamless sound switching would make future MP units competitive with the Roland and Korg offerings.

3) The adoption of Binaural sampling by Kawai to compete with the Yamaha (and improvement in headphone amplification for better sound clarity and to be able to power 300 ohm cans).

4) Modification of the Kawai Grand Feel action in the MP11SE to deal with the squishy bottom end (i.e., similar to the fix applied to the Grand Feel III action but without deepening the MP11 unit).

5) Evolving the RHIII action (RHIV) to set the goal posts higher again.

6) Developing similar polyphony and similar or better sample quality as the Dexibel S9 Pro (as the computing power is cheaply available).

7) As others have mentioned, improving MIDI implementation on the MP11SE.


I think these improvements would help Kawai push the boat out in this market niche.

Kind regards,

Doug.


Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7; Past - Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Doug M.] #2948297 02/17/20 11:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Hello Doug,

Thank you for your post.

I was specifically interested in asking Pologuy about the MP11SE/MP7SE vs the Nord Grand and CP88, rather than a general response discussing areas in which the MP11SE/MP7SE could be improved.

However, to respond to some of your points:

Originally Posted by Doug M.
The Nord Grand and Yamaha CP88 are clearly better (to a certain degree) from a narrow perspective of the plug-n-play gigging musician---a person who doesn't want to prepare registrations but just likes to turn up, mess with sliders and twist knobs to get the performance characteristics changed on-the-fly.

Hmmm... "clearly better to a certain degree from a narrow perspective" - quite a few caveats in that opening sentence. wink
Anyway, yes, I can see why at first glance the Nord Grand/CP88 might appear to superior. However, I believe the current MPs are still pretty versatile when it comes to live performance control.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
With regard to the Nord Grand, it has superior Aesthetics due to whole design including the bespoke stand and monitors. It's slopping instrument panel is also a positive. The build quality of the Kawai is a counter plus; also, the MP7SE/11SE are aesthetically pleasing in their own way---however, a bespoke stand as optional accessory might be commercially viable because many buy the MP11 for home/studio where aesthetics matter.

I would personally prefer to use a 3rd party stand from a company such as K&M, however I can appreciate that some MP owners would like a dedicated, 1st party furniture stand. Does Yamaha produce such as stand for the CP88? I'm afraid I don't understand the meaning of "counter plus".

Originally Posted by Doug M.
2) The addition of seamless sound switching would make future MP units competitive with the Roland and Korg offerings.

I believe the MP11SE/MP7SE are already capable of this.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
3) The adoption of Binaural sampling by Kawai to compete with the Yamaha...

I don't believe the Yamaha CP88 includes the binaural CFX sound, does it?

Originally Posted by Doug M.
4) Modification of the Kawai Grand Feel action in the MP11SE to deal with the squishy bottom end (i.e., similar to the fix applied to the Grand Feel III action but without deepening the MP11 unit).

I expect the successor to the MP11SE will include Kawai's latest wooden key keyboard action (e.g. GFIII).

Originally Posted by Doug M.
5) Evolving the RHIII action (RHIV) to set the goal posts higher again.

Yes, I agree.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
6) Developing similar polyphony and similar or better sample quality as the Dexibel S9 Pro (as the computing power is cheaply available).

This ultimately depends on the architecture that is used for the future MP models.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
7) As others have mentioned, improving MIDI implementation on the MP11SE.

Can you be more specific, please? Are you referring to MIDI 2.0? The MP11SE/MP7SE's existing MIDI implementation is already very good.

Originally Posted by Doug M.
I think these improvements would help Kawai push the boat out in this market niche.

Maybe so, but I don't believe any of these points addresses Pologuy's notion that "Kawai is being left in the dust".

I'm obviously a little biased here, but would argue that the CP88's panel layout shares many similarities with that of the MP11 developed several years earlier, and point to the fact that the highly-praised Nord Grand uses a Kawai keyboard action as an indication that Kawai is not doing too badly, thank you very much. wink

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Doug M.] #2948497 02/18/20 10:57 AM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
A
Abdol Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Doug M.


Hi James,

The Nord Grand and Yamaha CP88 are clearly better (to a certain degree) from a narrow perspective of the plug-n-play gigging musician---a person who doesn't want to prepare registrations but just likes to turn up, mess with sliders and twist knobs to get the performance characteristics changed on-the-fly.



Who is saying this? you? CP88 has horrible action. There is no way CP88 is better than MP7SE in any possible way. CP88 is basically an MP3 player with lots of buttons.


Originally Posted by Doug M.

With regard to the Nord Grand, it has superior Aesthetics due to whole design including the bespoke stand and monitors. It's slopping instrument panel is also a positive. The build quality of the Kawai is a counter plus; also, the MP7SE/11SE are aesthetically pleasing in their own way---however, a bespoke stand as optional accessory might be commercially viable because many buy the MP11 for home/studio where aesthetics matter.


Nord Grand is not the same instrument as MP series. MP series are stage instruments. You can still get a nice looking stand if you pay enough money.


Originally Posted by Doug M.


With regard to the market the MP7SE/MP11SE are aimed at, I think only a few improvements would make a world of difference:

1) Addition of 4 extra sub parts with proper effects options for all 8 parts---not just 4 as on the MP7SE---and 8 sliders (to allow proper drawbar control and mixing)---i.e., to compete with the RD2000. Even better would be powered sliders such as on the Dexibel S9 Pro. See the RD2000 left-hand panel for example of possibilities.


What are you talking about? You have proper control over the drawbars, although you can't simultaneously change all the bars, but having 9 bars is not going to make a big difference. You still need a proper organ drawbar interface. Sliders are not the same.

Originally Posted by Doug M.

2) The addition of seamless sound switching would make future MP units competitive with the Roland and Korg offerings.


MP series have a seamless transition for samples. If the effects are different there will be an audible effect change. But not abrupt.


Originally Posted by Doug M.

3) The adoption of Binaural sampling by Kawai to compete with the Yamaha (and improvement in headphone amplification for better sound clarity and to be able to power 300 ohm cans).


NO. Please NO. Binaural is BS.


Originally Posted by Doug M.

4) Modification of the Kawai Grand Feel action in the MP11SE to deal with the squishy bottom end (i.e., similar to the fix applied to the Grand Feel III action but without deepening the MP11 unit).


Have you ever played MP series?

Originally Posted by Doug M.

5) Evolving the RHIII action (RHIV) to set the goal posts higher again.


...

Originally Posted by Doug M.

6) Developing similar polyphony and similar or better sample quality as the Dexibel S9 Pro (as the computing power is cheaply available).


Dexibel sounds as ugly as firetruck. Kawai already has an unbeatable polyphony. More is better, but I don't want MP series to sound like garbage (Dexibel).



Please leave the suggestion to people who own one and have touched the instrument Doug.



The most important improvements to Kawai MP7SE and MP11SE are these:

1- USB Audio interface, if you have one in a studio, this is a must.
2- improving the actions, MP7SE with wooden keys and a bit heavier action. MP11SE using the next-gen Grand Feel.
3- Better samples and pianos. A better stereo expansion is a must. That would be super neat if I could adjust this in my keyboard. For example, the upright sample truly suffers from this feature.
4- A bit shallower case! MP series have huge depth.
5- Better organ sounds and some control surface improvement. And really 8 volume controls are useless, I'd rather see 8 drawbars instead of that.


Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Pologuy] #2948502 02/18/20 11:03 AM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
A
Abdol Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Pologuy
There have been many new great slab piano releases in the last year or two - the Nord, Yamaha CP...

Kawai is getting left in the dust - a place it seems to be happy with lately.



LOL. Hey Kawai please hire this gentleman so that he can help you see through the dust...

I went over the comments by this gentleman he clearly has never seen a Kawai instrument in his entire life.

Last edited by Abdol; 02/18/20 11:03 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Sedat Karahan] #2948726 02/18/20 08:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Abdol, you make some valid points, however they are undermined by your personal criticisms of other forum members - this is true in other forum threads, not just this one. It should be possible for folks with differing opinions to have a good discussion without getting personal.

For what it's worth, Doug M owns the 1st generation MP7, and I believe Pologuy owns/owned an MP10 (or possibly older), so both posters have experience with Kawai instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Sedat Karahan] #2948827 02/19/20 02:07 AM
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
A
Abdol Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
A
Joined: Apr 2019
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Abdol, you make some valid points, however they are undermined by your personal criticisms of other forum members - this is true in other forum threads, not just this one. It should be possible for folks with differing opinions to have a good discussion without getting personal.

For what it's worth, Doug M owns the 1st generation MP7, and I believe Pologuy owns/owned an MP10 (or possibly older), so both posters have experience with Kawai instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x


My problem is that I have a low capacity to handle nonsense even if it applies to myself. e.g. Pologuy claims that there has been many keyboards and Kawai is in the dust... let's review the keyboards: CP88 has inferior piano emulation, Rhodes, organs, synth and even worst MIDI implementation compared to Kawai. With the introduction of YC61, the hope for having better organ sounds in this keyboard is also dead. And comparing Nord with Kawai is somewhat pointless. Action-wise, Kawai is the winner, sound-wise, the piano sounds in MP series are not less than what we have in Nord keyboards.

Regarding Doug M's claims, I found the majority of them irrelevant. There are only 2-3 which are relatively valid. The rest are obviously false or due to lack of experience.

The biggest issue I have with MP7SE is its stereo expansion or the stereo image of the samples. Yamaha samples are expanded wider and the superposition of them turns out better but even Yamaha suffers from this artifact. That being said, Yamaha's biggest problem is less than 88 keys sampled.


I asked Bad Mister once that if Yamaha could offer stereo expansion capability in its synths (it was few years ago!) but he said it's not possible.

If Kawai can implement some sort of stereo expansion, it can even approximate the binaural sample playback as well.


Last edited by Abdol; 02/19/20 02:09 AM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Abdol] #2948830 02/19/20 02:20 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,029
As you will have seen, I asked Pologuy to clarify his "left in the dust" comment, so perhaps he will return to this thread and provide more details.

Regarding this point:

Originally Posted by Abdol
If Kawai can implement some sort of stereo expansion, it can even approximate the binaural sample playback as well.

The MP11SE/MP7SE do have a "Stereo Width" parameter, which ranges from 0~127, however I do not remember if the default setting is 64 or 127 - i.e. whether or not it's possible to expand the stereo width, or if this parameter can only be used to reduce/narrow the stereo image.

Kind regards,
James
x


Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP12 [Re: Sedat Karahan] #2948908 02/19/20 07:43 AM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Steve Rose Offline
Full Member
Offline
Full Member
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 40
Ok here’s my six pennith WRT to the Kawai MP7SE and how it could be improved in comparison with the RD2000 or P515 or CP88.

No1. Product quality and reliability: The reason I don’t have an MP7SE anymore is because Kawai couldn’t provide me with one that worked reliably. Both the new units I had suffered from keybed, keyswitch issues. So reluctantly a year ago I gave up on them. If Kawai could just make the MP7SE reliably do what it can do consistently, it would be great!

No2. You have to like Kawai pianos: Basically the MP7se and MP11se reproduce very good digital versions of Kawai's own acoustic pianos. Thank goodness these Kawai pianos sound and play well! Somehow Kawai seem to do this better than Yamaha. For me it’s as if Yamaha doesn’t believe making digital pianos that sound and play as well as their own acoustics is good for business. Anyone who’s touched Yamaha's top end acoustics will note that their CFX on the P515 and the mangled one on the CP88 are really very shallow representations (Yeah Binaural is a gimmick). I don’t think this is true for Kawai. They have a different philosophy they are triumphant in their presentation of their acoustics in digital form. But the downside is that your MP7se won’t have a east coast Steinway etc.

No3. Poor C3 and rotary simulation. If stage pianos are to have Hammond clone wheels and it seems this is now inevitable. They should really try a bit harder. I’ve grown very tired of these feeble offerings. Take Roland for example. Back in the days of their RD700GX they included the full VR9 rotary effects block. This had distortion, full control over the rotary elements and most importantly a reasonable C3 chorus vibrato effect. Consequently the RD700GX Hammond simulation was actually quite passable. Move forward to the RD2000.. Roland have cut the full rotary effects box so now you can’t get C3 chorus vibrato and you have to add overdrive in a separate effect.

So yes the RD2000 has 9 sliders that enable you at last, to control all 9 draw bars at once, but NO.. it doesn’t have the proper built in effects anymore to deliver anything like an authentic Hammond.

So if Kawai does go the same way, adding an extra 5 sliders. Please can you get the chorus, vibrato, rotary and over drive sorted out properly. Otherwise you’ll be just as crap at organ as the RD2000!

Last edited by Steve Rose; 02/19/20 07:50 AM.

Piano Journey: 1930's Upright> Rhodes Mk2 73> Wurly EP200> Gebauhr 1905 6' Grand> Yamaha P250> Roland RD700SX,RD700GX> Nord Stage 2 HA88> Roland RD800> CASIO PX5s & Kurzweil Forte & Kawai MP7SE> Kronos 2 61, Roland RD2000
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Piano World 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions
by Jon Albert - 02/27/20 12:06 AM
Musescore on (any) Linux computer
by FrankCox - 02/26/20 11:06 PM
Wandering 5th Finger
by dobro - 02/26/20 08:57 PM
Assembly of digital pianos
by abcxyz - 02/26/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,204
Posts2,930,491
Members96,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers


Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

 Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3