2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
38 registered members (AZNpiano, Charles Cohen, David B, Anglagard44, Animisha, astrotoy, Charades, 9 invisible), 257 guests, and 465 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: dogperson] #2946950 02/14/20 08:36 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
Larry, do a web-search for piano rehearsal space NYC
Here’s one—- grand in every room
https://www.244rehearsalstudiosny.com/

Thanks. Unfortunately, that’s a long way from my apartment. It is run by the same people who rented me the piano.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2946951 02/14/20 08:37 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK

Thanks. Unfortunately, that’s a long way from my apartment. It is run by the same people who rented me the piano.

What's wrong with the subway? Don't you have the A-line?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2946957 02/14/20 08:44 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Yes, I have the A line. It is just a matter of time.

Time is what we have the least of. -Hemingway

Last edited by LarryK; 02/14/20 08:44 PM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2946960 02/14/20 08:50 PM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

That's why you read and listen to beautiful music as you take the A line downtown. It's a three-fer!

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2946970 02/14/20 09:27 PM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member

I don’t believe this is the only one in NYC search the internet for piano practice place that please you.

Last edited by dogperson; 02/14/20 09:32 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: dogperson] #2947056 02/15/20 05:25 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L

I don’t believe this is the only one in NYC search the internet for piano practice place that please you.

The A train is my jam, and we can now unlock the turnstiles with ApplePay on the AppleWatch, no more swiping, but, still, it’s tiring to ride the train a lot.

Yes, I do have a tendency to go off on tangents, and for that, I apologize. I’m not the only guilty party, though.

Yes, I could certainly find a grand to rent in New York but, time and money, you know. Anyway, in a few short months, I’ll have my DYUS1. While no grand, I think it will provide the tools for endless experimentation. I think one can go far on an upright. When I watched James Rhodes practicing on a Kawai silent piano in one of his videos for PianoMan, his series, I was floored by how well he could play on it. His reason for playing the silent was to spare his neighbors from five or six hours of daily practice.

Back to my Russian teacher and her piano. If her neighbors do not hear her piano they call up and ask if she is ok and should they bring up food? The building is full of Russian immigrants who have survived worse terrors than listening to piano practice and so, they all get by. My teacher told me that her father, a violist, told her that if you wake up one day and don’t hear anything, you’re dead. Of course, you could also have been struck deaf overnight. Both possibilities are terrible thoughts.

Last edited by LarryK; 02/15/20 05:32 AM.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2947154 02/15/20 09:40 AM
T
TimR Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
My teacher told me that her father, a violist, told her that if you wake up one day and don’t hear anything, you’re dead. Of course, you could also have been struck deaf overnight. Both possibilities are terrible thoughts.

That's not a binary choice, there are many more possibilities.

For example, you may still be asleep, dreaming you've awoken and can't hear anything.

gotta go practice
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: TimR] #2947159 02/15/20 10:10 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by TimR
My teacher told me that her father, a violist, told her that if you wake up one day and don’t hear anything, you’re dead. Of course, you could also have been struck deaf overnight. Both possibilities are terrible thoughts.

That's not a binary choice, there are many more possibilities.

For example, you may still be asleep, dreaming you've awoken and can't hear anything.

Yes, I gave only two possibilities. I wake up every morning and can’t hear anything but that’s because I sleep with earplugs.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947190 02/15/20 11:22 AM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
I think a teacher's bad piano can be an irritant or drag on learning that over time will wear you down. You're in a learning situation where you're trying to master all kinds of skills; why would you want an unforced error of a piano to have to overcome as well? The piano doesn't have to be a Steinway D or anything of that sort; it just has to be in good tune and regulation. On the other hand, a good piano won't make up for a bad teacher (or bad student).

I've never really bought into the idea that playing bad pianos is good for you. If you're going to be a professional musician traveling around and playing on whatever piano happens to be there, maybe, but the vast majority of students won't go on to be professional musicians. But even in the instance of learning to play on your teacher's bad piano, you've only learned to play on that particular bad piano; every bad piano is bad in its own way.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947197 02/15/20 11:32 AM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
I am reminded of the famous opening line of Anna Karenina:

“Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”

Does this map to, good pianos are all alike, every bad piano is bad in its own way?

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2947198 02/15/20 11:37 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Does this map to, good pianos are all alike, every bad piano is bad in its own way?

👍 🤣

[Linked Image]

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: LarryK] #2947206 02/15/20 11:54 AM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member

thumb you caught the allusion. smile

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Stubbie] #2947208 02/15/20 11:58 AM
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

If we are looking for accuracy, I do not agree that all good pianos are alike because the way they respond, the way peddling needs to be applied, and the firmness of the action are all different.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
" I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It’s ok to be a Work In Progress
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947214 02/15/20 12:22 PM
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think it was meant to be funny.

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947221 02/15/20 12:31 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Yeah, I realize that it is not a perfect analogy but it was too delicious to pass up. I’m not sure that Tolstoy is right in the first place.

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: dogperson] #2947229 02/15/20 12:43 PM
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie

If we are looking for accuracy, I do not agree that all good pianos are alike because the way they respond, the way peddling needs to be applied, and the firmness of the action are all different.

I think LarryK was just making a joke, but since you responded to me: Good pianos are good in a number of ways, absolutely. I didn't allude to the happy families are all alike part of the quote because it wasn't pertinent to the point I was making.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947231 02/15/20 12:45 PM
L
LarryK Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
L
Yes, it was a joke. smile

Yamaha U1 Silent Piano
Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947379 02/15/20 07:55 PM
keystring Offline
Getting serious again - if I were to try to summarize my thoughts on the topic.

The very first and most important thing is the quality of the teacher, followed by the willingness of the student to work with a quality teacher. In my priorities, the teacher has to understand the piano, piano music, music, technical sides, applicable theoretical sides, and know how to teach. That's a lot of skills to pack into one single human being.

The teacher needs to demonstrate what is being taught, and for piano, usually the student will also be playing the teacher's instrument, so that instrument needs to be adequate to the task. For an absurd extreme: you can't teach pedal technique if your piano has no pedal. Less extreme: if your pedal has to be pushed to the floor before it does anything, you'll actually end up demonstrating something wrong. The piano needs to have certain attributes for teaching what needs to be taught. You may argue that only the senior "serious" student who may become professional needs things that work well ..... but where does the setup of all habits start? The student needs to practise regularly at home, and so the student also needs an instrument that has the attributes.

If you go to attributes, then you get away from "grand acoustic", "upright acoustic", "digitals of various stripes". What characteristics of the instrument do we need in order to play piano? What things need to be working well, and in some pianos may not work well?

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: Brinestone] #2947483 02/16/20 01:58 AM
keystring Offline
I looked up the Anna Karenina quote earlier. I have heard it mostly out of context, which made it an interesting exploration. I didn't read the book. Comments suggest that Tolstoy found the "bad families" to be the interesting or entertaining ones. (?) Where I've seen it used out of context has been in areas such as therapy, self-help, healthy versus dysfunctional relationships. Here, if I recall, the idea is that there are certain qualities that functional families all have; even if families can be different in various ways, these qualities are always the same. That actually goes to our piano thing maybe. smile

Re: How much does the teacher's piano matter? [Re: keystring] #2947544 02/16/20 08:34 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Here, if I recall, the idea is that there are certain qualities that functional families all have; even if families can be different in various ways, these qualities are always the same. That actually goes to our piano thing maybe. smile

In fact, most people who can recognize good vs bad families can probably name some of the traits such as mutual respect, open communications, mutually supporting, etc. I acknowledge there are some people who can't recognize these, and I suspect they are often in bad families.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai GX6 BLK Opinions
by Jon Albert - 02/27/20 12:06 AM
Musescore on (any) Linux computer
by FrankCox - 02/26/20 11:06 PM
Wandering 5th Finger
by dobro - 02/26/20 08:57 PM
Assembly of digital pianos
by abcxyz - 02/26/20 07:11 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,204
Posts2,930,477
Members96,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission